Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Jwall, some things just work, don't they?

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY !!

It’s not my # 1 cartridge....It’s a good all around , Hard to beat for versatility, AMERICAN
cartridge.

I have other “Target Specific” better cartridges but the 06
DESERVES its rightful place, honor, & respect.

Here's another REAL quote. Not what shinbone says.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=jwall]The THREE Greatest

270, 30-06, 7 mm Rem Mag.

Lesser cartridges are well........less

Seriously, I have a Win 70, (Modern Rifle) 6.5X55 and 120s are hitting 3000 fps WITH accuracy.
So I'll pass on the C M bun. whistle

ADD: Altho I have and LIKE the 300 WM, I agree with you for MOST applications.
**IMO** the 300 WM can PUSH 200 gr N Pt fast enuff to be flatt FOR hitting large animals at LONG range.

However, I'm NOT likely to have that opportunity so.........

I have chosen the 7 RM as MY 1 and Done !
Mind you I'm NOT selling all the rest. wink grin

----------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER real Quote, not what shinebone says.

Had enuff CROW yet ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shinbone
breaking news . . .

jwall says the 30-06 is better than the _______ (fill in the blank with literally anything)

Show Me the Source of your quote.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reality is that the .308 Win. is better than the 30-06. Period.

It is more accurate. One never sees the older cartridge in any serious competition.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've owned 3 30-06:
Rem 798
Sporterized k-98
Browning 1895

One of the most convenient things, was going to sportmans warehouse, and finding $33 a box of federal blue box 220 grain. They registered better than 2400 fps in every one of my 06's. That's some no-nonsense, Alaskan goodness right there.

The k98 became my loaner rifle. Until I moved up to the Northwest Arctic to train my dog team on the sea ice. Multiple Inupiat hunters hounded me till I sold it. 30-06 sells fast in a village. Odd ball rifles, not so much.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
308? Aka 30-06 short is better? For an all around hunting rifle?

It makes you a better hunter as you have too get 100y closer to have the same impact energy with your heavier Elk bullets at long range

My ‘06 shoots clover leafs to 3/4” w factory ammo all day, factory production rifle, I am sure it that is tight enough

German Salazar, a competive target shooter built an identical spec’d ‘06 & 308, and recorded the differences in competition, They weren’t big enough to make a difference in the Elk woods. 30-06 did better at longer ranges as the bullet stayed super sonic longer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=shinbone]breaking news . . .

jwall says the 30-06 is better than the _______ (fill in the blank with literally anything)

Show Me the Source of your quote.

-----------------------------------------------

Once again the F M A makes claims they have NO basis in fact for their "postulation" aka mockings.
F M A = Fake Media Association

postulation = assumption

Jdrry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MtnT
308? Aka 30-06 short is better? ?

German Salazar, a competive target shooter built an identical spec’d ‘06 & 308, and recorded the differences in competition, They weren’t big enough to make a difference in the Elk woods.

** 30-06 did better at longer ranges as the bullet stayed super sonic longer

imagine that ? smirk (smirk) = sarcasm smirk (smirk) = sarcasm

just so you know !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
The reality is that the .308 Win. is better than the 30-06. Period.

It is more accurate. One never sees the older cartridge in any serious competition.

“Better” is a qualitative term which requires value judgement based on a set of one or more specifications, whether those specifications are based on wants, needs, personal preference or some other requirement.

As such, your statement may be true for you, but that does not make it a universal truth. Period.

Match shooting imposes a different set of requirements than does hunting. Differences in SAAMI twist and pressure specifications also impose practical limits for the majority of shooters who use factory rifles and ammo. The 12 twist of the .308 limits its ability to stabilize the heavier bullets – hence the lack of factory .308 hunting ammo for them.

The .308 Win is more “efficient” but even in factory ammo with its lower SAAMI pressures, the .30-06 launches lightweight bullets up to 200fps faster and the midweight bullets up to 100fps faster. Hand loaders can easily and safely push .30-06 pressures to .308 Win levels for even more performance gains.

Lower recoil is one reason many people prefer the .308. This is important to some, especially match shooters. For hunting, not so much. The fact that some cartridges are more popular than the .30-06 for match shooting doesn’t enter into my calculations as to what best suits my hunting needs.

Both of my current .308’s are short barreled rifles – an AR10 with a 18” and a Ruger Scout with a 16.1”. Both were chosen for specific reasons and both meet the requirements better than would a .30-06. My three .30-06 rifles are all sport 22” barrels and meet my hunting requirements better than did the two 22” .308’s I’ve had but sold or traded.

There is no practical difference for my needs between the accuracy potential of a .308 Win and .30-06. Differences in individual rifles, scopes and ammo choices make far greater differences. I frequently use my stainless/boat-paddle Ruger MKII .30-06 to shoot the 5” steel at 600 yards, with a hit rate that is as good as any of the .308’s I’ve owned. If I want extreme accuracy, though, I’ll go to my heavy barrel rifles chambered for 6.5CM or 6.5-06AI.

While both the .308 Win and .30-06 are fine cartridge cartridges, neither is universally “better” than the other. Or better than any other cartridge for that matter.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way I look at it, the 30-06 will pretty much do with a 180 what a .308 will do with a 165. The same goes for the 30-06 with 165's as compared to the .308 with 150's. Pick what you need and go with it.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As has been mentioned, recoil and platforms...

The Zastava rifles are not light guns. But the Bavarian "pig back" style stock apparently does not interface with me very well. The Winchester 70 Classic with cheapo Ramline stock I am shooting right now is more comfortable than the 7x57mm and maybe even 6.5x55mm (with handloads) Zastavas I was shooting last fall/winter. It just isn't hitting me the same way.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's a long way from being the worst. If I had to pick one cartridge for the US it would be the 30-06. If I had to pick one rifle for the US it would be a Ruger Stainless Mark II with a skeleton stock. Same combination I used for 30 years in Alaska. I trust it to handle anything.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's a long way from being the worst. If I had to pick one cartridge for the US it would be the 30-06. If I had to pick one rifle for the US it would be a Ruger Stainless Mark II with a skeleton stock. Same combination I used for 30 years in Alaska. I trust it to handle anything.

I have been a paddle stock user for years. Picked up a .30-06 this year that shoots everything well and the stuff it likes really well. Have loads for 125 Ballistic Tips (reduced), 150 TTSX at full throttle, and a 165 NAB at comfortable but upper end velocities. It was just no trick getting anything to shoot around an inch or less. If I had more time I would probably have a 180 grain load worked up also. A 168 TSX or TTSX loaded hot or a 180 accubond would probably be about as versatile of a load as you could get within typical hunting ranges if looking for a one load to do it all.

Getting ready for an elk hunt tomorrow and was looking at my paddle stock .30-06, paddle stock .300, paddle stock .35 Whelen and a .30 Gibbs project rifle I have been playing with. Getting tired of the extra pound on the .300 and the 24" barrel is a pain in the timber. The Gibbs may go tomorrow for the novelty but I am having a legitimate internal conversation about why I really have any of them other then the .30-06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That would be the one on the left. The one on the right is the .280 Rem All Weather Ruger Hawkeye I'll be hunting elk with next week. A SIL will be using my boat paddle MKII .300WM when 3rd Rifle opens. That rifle will become my backup - or maybe my primary - rifle the following week (4th Rifle). The boat paddle.338WM is staying home this year.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/30/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think an 06 is what I’m taking next weekend.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

That would be the one on the left. The one on the right is the .280 Rem All Weather Ruger Hawkeye I'll be hunting elk with next week. A SIL will be using my boat paddle MKII .300WM when 3rd Rifle opens. That rifle will become my backup - or maybe my primary - rifle the following week (4th Rifle). The boat paddle.338WM is staying home this year.

[Linked Image]

If you’re not going to use the 06 then pass it along to someone who will

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I love my two ought six rifles but even though the action/bolt is barely an inch longer they do feel way longer and more cumbersome than my 7-08. Where I hunt I frequently move between woods and fields. So far the ability to bring the 7-08 into the aim faster and with less hassle outshines the 06 harder hittingness.
I ould lighten and shorten the 06 but it'll be precious close to a 308 then

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont think anyone can take anything away from an 06 That being said

Isnt this really an argument on those who just want tried and true and just dont want a lot of change

and those that like to try new things new rifles and bullets etc?

I am pretty sure neither is wrong

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I used to like them.. For years... Then I started using a .270 and now I’m wondering why I wasted so much of my life on an 06...

Todd

My experience too......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I used to like them.. For years... Then I started using a .270 and now I’m wondering why I wasted so much of my life on an 06...

Todd

My experience too......

Everytime I use a 270 on something i end up going right back to the 30-06.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,481,012
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.