Home
Just trying to save you all some headaches. Good Luck!
Pass the 308 or 270...
I used to like them.. For years... Then I started using a .270 and now I’m wondering why I wasted so much of my life on an 06...

Todd
It's hunting season, go outside and play.
Yes, as the precursor to the .270 Win. it was of passing interest.
The THREE Greatest

270, 30-06, 7 mm Rem Mag.

Lesser caretridges are well........less

Jerry
270 is gay, everyone knows that.

The 7mm-08 is uber.

P
7-08 is LESS
Yawn ...
Make mine a 280 smile
Nope. 7x57.
280 is where it's at cool
I've told this story several times, but. . .

Back in the mid-2000's, I had some high-end modeling software that I needed to test at work. It was basically a very souped up version of the What-If function of Excel. I decided to feed it a large subset of Hodgdon's reloading database and asked it to find the best performance vs. recoil. I gave it the latitude to reduce up to 5% off the MAX load. I used Bekkar KOV rating as the decider of performance.

Bottom line: 30-06 was not the top choice. Nor was 270 WIN. You could tell that it when the model started zeroing in on what it thought was a good chamber/load, because it would seem to stall on one or the other for a long time.

35 Whelen held fascination.
7mm-08 held its attention
It hardly glanced at 270 WIN and 7mm RM before moving on.
30-06 got a hard look, but it moved on.

If memory serves, a slightly off-MAX load of 280 REM was its final choice. I'd also say that having it point at 280 REM is not a hands-down thing. What it told me was that if you look at 280 REM and knock a couple of % off the MAX, what you get is a performance envelope that can be achieved by anything in that general vicinity. If you think about it, 280 REM, grain for grain of bullet weight is just a 30-06 modified to increase its Bekker KOV. If you think sectional density is a deciding factor, then 280 REM is the better cartridge. I heard a lot of opinions against Bekker KOV as a reasonable gauge of performance, but I did not have access to the modeling software long enough to try other formulas.

None of this had definitive answers. I never saw the Hand of God come down and point to one or the other. "The Greatest" out there is a highly subjective thing. I was favoring chamberings that had less recoil, and my target was whitetail deer. Another guy might say that speed trumps all. Still another wants the eat-up-to-the-hole performance that only a big bore can give. Another guy wants flatness of trajectory.

If you look on my rack, the largest number of deer rifles are in 30-06. My sons shoot 150 grainers. I shoot 165 grain. Of all the rifles we've tried 30-06 and 308 WIN have all the camp records and the highest number of DRT kills on whitetails. None of these are full house loads. They're meant to drop animals within 250 yards.

Originally Posted by jwall
The THREE Greatest

Jerry

LOL, just dug my pre-64 300 H&H out of the safe last night before bed, have a bag of at least 250 rounds of handloads with 220gr Partitions at 2750 fps sitting by the back door, will grab a cardboard box and go see where they land through the receiver peep this morning. smile
280 should have settled the argument but Remington made sure to butcher it.
30-06, nothing more than one of the many the offspring of the 8 X 57...and almost as good as its parent.
Originally Posted by gunner500
The THREE Greatest

Jerry

LOL, just dug my pre-64 300 H&H out of the safe last night before bed, have a bag of at least 250 rounds of handloads with 220gr Partitions at 2750 fps sitting by the back door, will grab a cardboard box and go see where they land through the receiver peep this morning. smile

I bet they don't bounce off. That particular recipe sounds like a drill.
Originally Posted by 16bore
They can fook up the promotion of a cartridge better than anybody.
280, answer looking for a question
280: the synthesis of two Greats, the 270 and 30-06

280 for the win.
30-06 is boring. Mine is getting new life as a 280 AI. I know the 280 Rem would be just as good, but I have an AI itch...gotta scratch it!
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by gunner500
The THREE Greatest

Jerry

I bet they don't bounce off. That particular recipe sounds like a drill.

It is indeed my Friend, never got one back.
I once saw a bumper sticker that said "If you ain't got a 280, you ain't got schitt".

Is that still the case?

MM
LOL, it's a fine round, particularly with an 8 twist barrel if one needs to go long.
Read my signature line.😊
There is nothing greater than the 30-06 so quit trying

Congratulations on being the first to ever voice this unique, yet irrefutable, position.
A lot of people seem to like vanilla ice cream. I see the 30-06 the same way. It certainly works, if what you are after is just some ice cream, but that doesn't make it "greater".
It’s the Ford 8N of cartridges.
You all really need to try the 7.62x63 and then watch yourself throw your 30-06 rifles in the trash
I have a .3006, a .280 and a .308.
For me, the rifle is as much a factor as rhe cartidge.
Deer dont care what you shoot or how much you spend.
Just run what ya like.
My fave deer cartridge is actually a 35 rem ( for timber ).
I think my .30-06 is going to be rebarreled to 7x57.
i beg to differ, but alas to each there own
Greater for what? Can't even imagine doing 200+ rds full house 06 reloads in an afternoon but that's no problem with a 223 in a hot dog town waiting for a thinning. I can load my 7mm mag down to 280 specs easy. There is overlap in all cartridges. I'd guess that if you kept detailed kill data over your life and analyzed it after your hunting was over you'd find in reflection that most cartridges would have met your needs. We have all these different cartridges so we can have variety in our lives and that the gun companies make money not so you can have the perfect tool. If we tried out and used different women as often as guns and different cartridges the left would have bountied us out of existence along time ago. Wtf? Shoot what you want and QUIT trying to round up and group people to your fugging idea of what is perfect. Sh*t that's how they manage goddamed ballplayers for christ's sake. You one of them take a knee ass*oles? MB
I love my 30-06 rifles. However, they can't shoot a bullet as fast as my 204 can. They can't shoot as heavy of a bullet as my 375 can. They have way more recoil than my 7/08 does. They can't shoot as high of a BC bullet as my 260 does. They use way more powder than my 223 does. My 30-06s just seem to have so many shortcomings. I still love my 30-06 rifles.
I do like this little tidbit, although easily outdone..

223 w/ 75 HPBT

[Linked Image]

30-06 167 Scenar

[Linked Image]

The 30-06 works great. Especially if you are after something big like elk,moose,or big bears or boars. It will kill all of the above without outrageous recoil.

For deer,I want something that kicks less and/or shoots flatter at normal hunting ranges of 500 yards or less.

Last few years I've been using a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 120 grain monolithic bullet at 3000 fps. It shoots flatter and/or kicks less than a 30-06.

This year I'm going to try a 7mm-08 with a 120 grain monolithic bullet. Also going try a 243 with the 90 grain accubond. May even take my CZ in 6.5 Grendel. It shoots about as flat as a 30-06 and has a lot less recoil.

223 w/ 75 HPBT

[Linked Image]

30-06 167 Scenar

[Linked Image]

I don't know where you get that data....I push the 75's to 3k out of several 22" bolt guns.

And that isn't the BC Lapua lists for the 167 Scenar. And why would I pick a 167 with a lower BC than the 155, and then shoot it at a weak speed? Why not pick the 155 and shoot it around 3k?
Originally Posted by gitem_12
You all really need to try the 7.62x63 and then watch yourself throw your 30-06 rifles in the trash

Or try the .300 Whelen.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

223 w/ 75 HPBT

[Linked Image]

30-06 167 Scenar

[Linked Image]

I don't know where you get that data....I push the 75's to 3k out of several 22" bolt guns.

And that isn't the BC Lapua lists for the 167 Scenar. And why would I pick a 167 with a lower BC than the 155, and then shoot it at a weak speed? Why not pick the 155 and shoot it around 3k?

No doubt about about it. That’s softball factory loaded stuff. The 167 Scenar is G7.

I’ve still got a stash of handloaded 155’s, hard to beat in an ‘06. However, my days of riding a rockchucker are long behind me.
So in essence, they both suck. But they suck the same...
I wanted a do all bad weather rifle.....a Stanley claw hammer type of tool.

.3006 in a synth stock.

Yup it is boring. It works. Nothing fancy.
Reliable.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Or try the .300 Whelen.

Even better, the .30-270, aka, .30-03.

Example of which I happen to own in Win '95 guise.
I have four of them. I like the 06 a lot!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It's anti American to not own at least one 30 06. Don't use much anymore, but it's my big gun for Elk!
Beautiful Garand, Hanco!

I'll say this for it, after a lot of time lately with 7mm-08s, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor (typically in light rifles) I really forgot how smoothly a 30-06 can shoot from a heavier gun. Talking Winchester 70 Sporter, not a monster but near 8 lbs before scoping. Same with a Husqvarna Mauser in a Boyd's Laminate stock.

Subjective for sure...but it was no killer to shoot. Mind you I am not chasing hot rod loads.

Plasticky lil rifles in the 7 lb range, YMMV.
I’ve got five of them. But it isn’t the best choice for a rifle looney. Once you have one, there really isn’t much excuse to get anything else. It will kill just about anything, anywhere at just about any reasonable range.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I wanted a do all bad weather rifle.....a Stanley claw hammer type of tool.

.3006 in a synth stock.

Yup it is boring. It works. Nothing fancy.
Reliable. Believe or not can buy ammo anywhere as cheap as it can be had.

Fixed it for you. MB
My 30 06 is going to morph into a 338-06 this winter.
Originally Posted by bluefish
My 30 06 is going to morph into a 338-06 this winter.

Which one?
The late great Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." That was a long time ago. Probably even before I was born. (1938) The point is I believe that statement still holds true. Powerful enough for North American big game and a good on most African game when push comes to shove. Modern premium bullets make it even better that in Col. Whelen's day.

I guess is I were to try and count back, most of the deer I've killed over 60+ years of hunting have been with the 30-6 and the .308 probably in second place. These's even some with the .270 and 30-30 in that pile of dead deer. I probably have more rifles in 30-06 in my collection than anything else which runs from .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby. I've used the .270 a time or three and currently have a running love affair with the .35 Whelen for my elk hunts. Funny thing though. Regardless of whatever I take on a hunt, the back up rifle is usually something in 30-06.
Paul B.

223 w/ 75 HPBT

[Linked Image]

30-06 167 Scenar

[Linked Image]

No doubt about about it. That’s softball factory loaded stuff. The 167 Scenar is G7.

I’ve still got a stash of handloaded 155’s, hard to beat in an ‘06. However, my days of riding a rockchucker are long behind me.

Hmmm. Lapua lists the 167 as a .223 G7. I couldn't say which value is more accurate, because I don't shoot it.
The three king's of big game cartridges IMO
1. 300 Win
2. 30-06
3. 308 Win
Yeah, im a 30 cal whore but I will also say that the rifle itself is much more important than the particular cartridge its chambered in 👍.....Good hunting ....Hb
That’s Brian Litz’s G7 number. Not enough to matter for a shortknocker anyway.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Or try the .300 Whelen.

BING ! BING !

grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by Switch
It's anti American to not own at least one 30 06. Don't use much anymore, but it's my big gun for Elk!

Switch, I've said moren once "I feel it is UNAmerican" to not own a 30-06. I feel we OWE that to the G O C
Grand Ole Cartridge.

Jerry
Originally Posted by sharps4590
30-06, nothing more than one of the many the offspring of the 8 X 57...and almost as good as its parent.

I've read that poppycock here a few Xs and YET have to find any documentation to verify it.

The 8X57 is shorter TO START WITH than the 30-06. The 30-03 can be considered the parent cartridge but...

Please supply a link to document your assertion.

Jerry
Meh, the 30-06 is a passing fad. It will disappear in a couple years..... wink

Bob
The THREE Greatest

Even I find it odd for MYSELF that it took SO LONG to fully understand the greatness of the
7 Rem Mag. I had a few when I was young and dismissed the round because I was 'infatuated' with the 300 WM.

PERSONALLY, at 70 yo, I've come to place the 7 RM at the TOP of the heap.
TO ME-- the virtue that elevates the 7 above the 06 is.... only... flatter trajectory while packing the payload.

I have an 06 and always will but From Antelope--WT--Elk-- Moose--BROWN BEAR--
the 7 RM will cover all bases and NOT knock you down.

ref. 458 Win ( Mr Phil) on the 30-06.

Jerry
I own eight 06's, and can hunt everything from squirrels to the big stuff. I handloadd and cast bullets for them too (something like two dozen moulds in my repertoire)- capable of everything from 100gr.'s at 1000fps to 220's at full snot. People who say the cartridge is boring obviously aren't exploring all the possibilities.

200 rounds in a day? No sweat. 200 150 grain cast loads at 1600fps wouldn't make a ten year old flinch.
i read somewheres that us being on the receiving end of the 7x57 in the Spanish American War got us to taking the 7x57 case, making it longer, and necking it up to 30 caliber... and bingo the 30-03 with 220 round nose came about. paying attention to what others were doing, the fast and flat shooting German spitzers in 8mm got us to making pointy bullets and bingo 30-06 is born.

i think either Mule Deer or perhaps a Brian Pearce article from way back?

what i don't understand is why the 130 grain TTSX ain't a standard offering in 30-06 factory ammo... unless 30-06 shooters are dogs too old to try something different than 150 and up
Especially since you generally go down in weight with monos. I think there’s a 308 version.
Originally Posted by bluefish
Nope. 7x57.

I’d get rid of that metric abomination and get a 275 Rigby. Then you'd really have a great round. grin
........if only I would have kept the .30-06 that I had after my .270 (that I got at the ripe old age of 10) and spent all that money I’ve spent on rifles since trying to seek “perfection” - oh the hunts I could’ve had🥴

PennDog

I've read that poppycock here a few Xs and YET have to find any documentation to verify it.

The 8X57 is shorter TO START WITH than the 30-06. The 30-03 can be considered the parent cartridge but...

Jerry

Ok, the 30-03 was an offspring of the 8 X 57, the 30-06 was a grandchild. All Springfield did was lengthen it 6mm and neck it down .015. Same head size. Springfield copied not only the rifle but the cartridge as well. Look it up yourself.
Honestly I have a few Xs, even earlier today.

LINK ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by PennDog
........if only I would have kept the .30-06 that I had after my .270 (that I got at the ripe old age of 10) and spent all that money I’ve spent on rifles since trying to seek “perfection” - oh the hunts I could’ve had🥴

PennDog

Welcome to the club....
Honestly I have a few Xs, even earlier today.

LINK ?

FOLLOW UP !

Here ya go Sharps, from Range 365.com....Later a reference to Wikipedia

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also Wikipedia did NOT mention the 8X57 in the development of the 30-06

30-40 Krag---30-03--30-06

Specifically stated the 30-03 is the PARENT case.

Now the 8mm Lebel (?) was mentioned BECAUSE of the bullet shape! Not the case.

I'd be glad to read any 'authority' on the subject.

Jerry

Got a butter smooth LH M70 Classic. Going to have the factory barrel duplicated then add irons and a sling swivel on the barrel which I prefer. Should be nice for next year. Have a lovely stock that has good grain and will bed it right in. Yeehaaaa.
Got an 06. But it's in a Japanese howa. That OK still? Lol
This from 16bore in a diff 06 thread.

"
I’m not “out” by a long shot. Just the first time I’d ever seen the ice cream shop out of vanilla...

Yeah, the ole 06 ain't very popular. smirk (sarcasm)

They haven't heard it's TOO MUCH gun for deer ! smirk smirk

Jerry
308 Win, the little cartridge with big range and big punch.
Originally Posted by Dogger
280: the synthesis of two Greats, the 270 and 30-06

280 for the win.

So, the .280 is one of those tweeners for those who can't make up their mind?
Don’t have much use for small bores.
I'm ashamed ...
An ot6 and a 8x57
LOL!!!
only bolt center fires I have.

Geuss the Savage 220 qualifies also, my bad......

Old pic ...
Dont shoot PPU anymore
Shoot Sellior & Bellot 196gr SPCE now.
And the 98 has a timney trigger now also.

Kinda want a .308 also.
Syn stock Marlin xs7 w/ accu trigger
North haven one
Not a mayfield one.

Originally Posted by renegade50
I'm ashamed ...
An ot6 and a 8x57
LOL!!!
only bolt center fires I have.

Those are some nice rifles in solid chamberings.
I agree, but I use a .270 for my mountain hunting. The 30/06 is still the best all around round ever

Also Wikipedia did NOT mention the 8X57 in the development of the 30-06

30-40 Krag---30-03--30-06

Specifically stated the 30-03 is the PARENT case.

.30-40, .30-01 ("Thick Rim"), .30-03, .30-06.

Thick Rim
Given a 30-30 at 12, bought a Vanguard 243 new at 14.
That was 36 years ago.
A whole bunch of rifles from 22 hornet to 338 sit in the basement now.
The 30-06 (and 270) was what the blowhards always talked about.
One rifle guys, that had no comparative experience, they tuned me against it.

Ended up with a can't say no deal on one, in a POS pump no less!

Damn thing shoots good with a DGAS load of some powder I had and
some bullets I didn't want. And kills like the hammer of Thor. Well, also
like my 308.

If I was starting over, I would just buy a 30-06. And be the guy who only knows
one gun. That just flat works!

Its not nice to speak badly of a dead corporation grin

17rem
5mm Remington
222 rem
222 rem mag
6mm rem
6.5 rem mag
280 rem
7mm SAUM
300 SAUM
8mm Remington
350 Rem mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338RUM

Did I miss any?
I only have one but it's a good one. Ruger 77 Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

17rem
5mm Remington
222 rem
222 rem mag
6mm rem
6.5 rem mag
280 rem
7mm SAUM
300 SAUM
8mm Remington
350 Rem mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338RUM

Did I miss any?

You want to throw in the electronic primers as a side note.
Oh, I didn’t see the 260 mentioned.
Originally Posted by viking
Oh, I didn’t see the 260 mentioned.

Damn, how did I forget that?

41 Remington mag
You forgot the .375 RUM.
You forgot the .375 RUM.

I was not aware they made that . Thanks
I have a Rem M 700 .375 RUM. wink

Jerry

I'm not trying to argue, but the parent case of the 357 magnum would be the 38 special, would it not?
Every attempt to replace the 30/06 is simply an attempt to shoe-horn it into a different platform.
.460 Wby on the left,.375 H&H center,.375 RUM on the right.

The rifle...
I have a Rem M 700 .375 RUM. wink
It's just a 30/06 made for a barrel with bigger holes in it. laugh
It's a .30/06 on steroids! wink

I'm not trying to argue, but the parent case of the 357 magnum would be the 38 special, would it not?

That is a VALID point on that cartridge.

ATST... I've searched many references and NONE mentioned the 8X57 'case' as the parent case.

Check, 8X57 vs 30-06, 30-06 origin and anything you can find.... I'll gladly read.

The 8mm BULLETs were pointed and LED to pointed 30 cal bullets.
The 30-03 was developed to REPLACE the 30-40 Krag.
The 30-06 was REdesigned FOR 150 gr bullets.

That 'summarizes' my research.

TRUTH ! I have NOT read ONE reference (authority) that links the 30-06 case to the 8X57 case.

I'm STILL looking. I'm NOT arguing either. Looking for FACTS.

Jerry
Well, the fact is it has the same rim and head diameter as the 8x57, and virtually same diameter behind the shoulder making the body sizes close enough to not matter. Seems rather suspicious to me who copied who. I've heard that the Ordnance dept. set a specific velocity goal and the x57 case was lengthened until that goal was reached with the powders the gov't was working with in those days. Don't know for a fact but it sounds plausible to me. Those cats back at the turn of the last century were doing some crazy stuff.
gnoahh

Yes I understand what you are saying AND
maybe they didnt want to reveal what they were doing ? ?

BUT I’ve really looked a lot of places and ‘so far’ I have not found 1 source
that said or showed the 8x57 case’s relativity to the 06.

30-40 K, > 30-03 > 30-06 is substituted.

I really am looking for an authoritative source to verify what some folks
are saying.

Without a reliable source the claim is
Poppycock...to me.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jerry
I did an experiment a few years back comparing the .308 Win. with the 30-06. The ammo used for both cartridges was what I had on hand, Winchester brand and both cartridges load with the factory 180 gr. Power Point round nose.

With rifle with 22" barrel there was little difference in velocity, both running 2600 FPS and change. The change being about 40 FPS in favor of the 06. I don't have .308 rifle with longer barrels but did have rifles in 30-06 with 24 and 26" barrels. The only rifle that came even close to advertised 2700 FPS was the Ruger #1B with 6" barrel. I can beat that with h4350 in just about any 06 I own with a 22" barrel.

This made me a bit curious and I've tried to locate some 30-06 factory ammo with the 220 gr. bullet. Did that load actually do the advertised 2400 FPS or was it 100 FPS slower like with the 180 gr. like I found in the test.

Winchester at one point did show a velocity of 2295 FPS in an earlier load pamphlet using W760 for a pressure of 46,900 C.U.P. I easily worked up to 2320 FPS with absolutely no pressure signs and extremely fine accuracy. The best group was .375" and the worst .75" using the 220 gr. Sierra round nose bullet. I don't doubt that I could probably pick up another 200 FPS with that bullet in the 30-06 with careful reloading and some of the newer powders.

This leads to the question, "Has the 30-06 been downloaded somewhat to favor the .308 or has it always been loaded to that lever and velocity measured with 26" barrels?"
Paul B.
THATs why some ‘think’ the 308 is so good.

However—- try handloading BOTH to their potiential.....

There is no replacement for Displacement.

15 gallon does not equal 20 gallon.

Jerry

That is a VALID point on that cartridge.

ATST... I've searched many references and NONE mentioned the 8X57 'case' as the parent case.

Check, 8X57 vs 30-06, 30-06 origin and anything you can find.... I'll gladly read.

TRUTH ! I have NOT read ONE reference (authority) that links the 30-06 case to the 8X57 case.

Jerry

Here is a link which shows some history
http://www.asymco.com/2010/03/11/the-tale-of-the-spitzer-bullet-patent-lawsuit/
gnoahh

are saying.

Poppycock...to me.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jerry

We copied the Mauser rifle and it’s cartridge so closely that we lost a court case and were ordered to pay royalties to the Mauser company. Same rim, same case head diameter, same body taper, and same neck angle. We weren’t into metrics, so it was in .30 caliber instead of 7 or 8 mm. We lengthened it a bit, probably to try to get a few differences so we could try to avoid some of those royalties instead of for any performance gain. Or, maybe it took a little more length to get 7.92x57 velocities with a slightly smaller in diameter bullet of nearly equivalent weight. In any case, the performance was an almost identical match for the 7.92x57 in a cartridge that was obviously developed from it. When the Germans changed to a 153 grain spitzer in 1903 increasing the velocity of their cartridge to about 2,700 feet per second, we followed suit a few years later and the 30-06 was born with almost identical numbers once again.
barm

Originally Posted by barm

Thanks, I'll get to it tonight. Got to go for a while.

Jerry
Originally Posted by JoeBob

We copied the Mauser rifle and it’s cartridge so closely that we lost a court case and were ordered to pay royalties to the Mauser company. Same rim, same case head diameter, same body taper, and same neck angle. We weren’t into metrics, so it was in .30 caliber instead of 7 or 8 mm. We lengthened it a bit, probably to try to get a few differences so we could try to avoid some of those royalties instead of for any performance gain.

Or, maybe it took a little more length to get 7.92x57 velocities with a slightly smaller in diameter bullet of nearly equivalent weight.
In any case, the performance was an almost identical match for the 7.92x57 in a cartridge that was obviously developed from it. When the Germans changed to a 153 grain spitzer in 1903 increasing the velocity of their cartridge to about 2,700 feet per second, we followed suit a few years later and the 30-06 was born with almost identical numbers once again.

Probably...

Or Maybe...

Source.

Jerry

We copied the Mauser rifle and it’s cartridge so closely that we lost a court case and were ordered to pay royalties to the Mauser company. Same rim, same case head diameter, same body taper, and same neck angle. We weren’t into metrics, so it was in .30 caliber instead of 7 or 8 mm. We lengthened it a bit, probably to try to get a few differences so we could try to avoid some of those royalties instead of for any performance gain.

Or, maybe it took a little more length to get 7.92x57 velocities with a slightly smaller in diameter bullet of nearly equivalent weight.
In any case, the performance was an almost identical match for the 7.92x57 in a cartridge that was obviously developed from it. When the Germans changed to a 153 grain spitzer in 1903 increasing the velocity of their cartridge to about 2,700 feet per second, we followed suit a few years later and the 30-06 was born with almost identical numbers once again.

Probably...

Or Maybe...

Source.

Jerry

We copied the rifle and the cartridge...so closely, in fact, we lost TWO court cases. Now, you’re not going to find anything definitive saying we did exactly that and you know why? Because we KNEW at the time we were trying to circumvent patents and that any documentation to that effect would be discoverable and could be used against us in court.

At that time, every other country in the world that wanted a Mauser rifle and a German developed cartridge, paid royalties to DWM and the Mauser brothers. In the US, we simply reversed engineered their rifles and cartridges and tried to pass them off as our own.
What I don’t get is the .308. Why? Especially nowadays when so many rifles have one action length. If a .308 is the exact same length and weight of a 30-06, why not just get the 30-06? A .308 Tikka or Ruger American Rifle seems like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, unless you are going to chop the barrel to about 18 or 20 inches.
What I don’t get is the .308. Why? Especially nowadays when so many rifles have one action length. If a .308 is the exact same length and weight of a 30-06, why not just get the 30-06? A .308 Tikka or Ruger American Rifle seems like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, unless you are going to chop the barrel to about 18 or 20 inches.

Lots of ammo choices for the “non rollers” like me and lots of target type stuff.

Not to mention factory 155 Lapua Scenars, in a non election year of course.
gnoahh

are saying.

Poppycock...to me.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jerry

We copied the Mauser rifle and it’s cartridge so closely that we lost a court case and were ordered to pay royalties to the Mauser company. Same rim, same case head diameter, same body taper, and same neck angle. We weren’t into metrics, so it was in .30 caliber instead of 7 or 8 mm. We lengthened it a bit, probably to try to get a few differences so we could try to avoid some of those royalties instead of for any performance gain. Or, maybe it took a little more length to get 7.92x57 velocities with a slightly smaller in diameter bullet of nearly equivalent weight. In any case, the performance was an almost identical match for the 7.92x57 in a cartridge that was obviously developed from it. When the Germans changed to a 153 grain spitzer in 1903 increasing the velocity of their cartridge to about 2,700 feet per second, we followed suit a few years later and the 30-06 was born with almost identical numbers once again.

That was a lawsuit involving the Springfield 1903 and the Mauser 98. Mauser won the lawsuit and Springfield had to pay royalties until August 1914 when WW1 started.
https://quizzclub.com/trivia/which-...el-1903-springfield-rifle/answer/286405/

Which European manufacturer was paid royalties by the United States Government for patent infringement over the Model 1903 Springfield Rifle?

From 1905 to 1914, the U.S. paid $200,000 in royalties to Mauser for patent infringements on Mauser's rifle designs. That included 75 cents per M1903 Springfield Rifle produced, and charges for stripper clip production. Mauser did not actually sue, but both the United States and Mauser's attorneys agreed that the patent infringement had occurred and that any lawsuit would be won by Mauser. The situation was started during the Spanish-American War, when the United States forces were taking large numbers of casualties due to the superiority of the Mauser rifle being used by the Spanish forces. Rifles captured on the battlefield were sent to Springfield Armory, and were reverse engineered to come up with a design which was adopted by the U.S. Government as the Model 1903 Springfield Rifle.
More Info: www.google.com

You can make the same argument for the 308. And these days the 308 is winning that argument
Originally Posted by moosemike

You can make the same argument for the 308. And these days the 308 is winning that argument

And that just goes to show how dumb people are. The advantage of a .308 is near 30-06 performance in a short action which makes for a lighter and handier rifle. A .308 in a long action is just an anemic 30-06.

And that just goes to show how dumb people are. The advantage of a .308 is near 30-06 performance in a short action which makes for a lighter and handier rifle. A .308 in a long action is just an anemic 30-06.
Agreed 👍.....Hb
Picking a .308 in a long action over a .30-06 doesn't make sense to me either. The big advantage of the .308 over the .30-06 is short action. I don’t really think it’s that much of an advantage, so I guess that means it isn’t much of a disadvantage to have a LA in whatever caliber. I can see someone picking a .308 long action for a couple of reasons.
A. They don’t know that it’s a long action/don’t even know what action length is. This is probably most of them that pick a .308 in a long action.
B. Really like .308/load for it/have lots of guns for it and decide they really want that Tikka but don’t want to add a new caliber.
[quote=JoeBob]

That was a lawsuit involving the Springfield 1903 and the Mauser 98. Mauser won the lawsuit and Springfield had to pay royalties until August 1914 when WW1 started.

-----------------------------------------

BINGO ! Springfield 1903 VERSUS Mauser *** NOT 8X57 vs 30-06.

Uh Huh. Thank You Elks

Jerry
[quote=moosemike][quote=JoeBob]What I don’t get is the .308. Why? Especially nowadays when so many rifles have one action length. If a .308 is the exact same length and weight of a 30-06, why not just get the 30-06? A .308 Tikka or Ruger American Rifle seems like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, unless you are going to chop the barrel to about 18 or 20 inches.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----------------------------------

I'd qualify that "Near 30-06 FACTORY performance".

Try that in Optimum Handloads.

Jerry
[quote=elkhunternm]https://quizzclub.com/trivia/which-...el-1903-springfield-rifle/answer/286405/

Which European manufacturer was paid royalties by the United States Government for patent infringement over the Model 1903 Springfield Rifle?

From 1905 to 1914, the U.S. paid $200,000 in royalties to Mauser for patent infringements on Mauser's rifle designs. That included 75 cents per M1903 Springfield Rifle produced, and charges for stripper clip production. Mauser did not actually sue, but both the United States and Mauser's attorneys agreed that the patent infringement had occurred and that any lawsuit would be won by Mauser. The situation was started during the Spanish-American War, when the United States forces were taking large numbers of casualties due to the superiority of the Mauser rifle being used by the Spanish forces. Rifles captured on the battlefield were sent to Springfield Armory, and were reverse engineered to come up with a design which was adopted by the U.S. Government as the Model 1903 Springfield Rifle.
More Info: www.google.com
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

YEP !!

Where's 8X57 ? Ain't there.

Jerry

IMO and from EXPERIENCE It shows the 'ignorance' of people to think and claim 30-06 performance from a 308 case.

Factory IS close. I HANDLOAD and am NOT limited to FACTORY cartridges including the 30-06.

I've loaded BOTH and they AIN'T the same.

Jerry
Originally Posted by barm
[quote=jwall]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a link which shows some history
http://www.asymco.com/2010/03/11/the-tale-of-the-spitzer-bullet-patent-lawsuit/

Thank You BARM

I read it as I said I would. AGAIN the focus was on 'POINTED' bullets and Rifle DESIGN

NOT the 8X57 case.

I do appreciate it.

I'm STILL looking for a SOURCE showing the Relativity of the 8X57 CASE to the 30-06 including CASE.

Jerry
To Anyone and All.....

Show Me The Source of "the 8X57 is the PARENT case of the 30-06".

I PROMISE I'll read it. IF, IF it's true....I'll admit it.

For now it's POPPYCOCK to me.

Jerry
I sorta get tired of hearing about short actions ...
I like short actions. I like .308s. But I like 30-06s better and they are superior to .308s.
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

“Sorta” ?

Edit - 1/2” shorter ‘seems’ like a foot !

4 OZ, UH 1/4 pound ! WOW

Yawn.. ZZZZZZZZZZZ

jwall, I said that before sleep.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I have one but in reality it won't do anything for me that a 30-06 won't do.

My little brain tells me I'm cool cuz I use the lesser known 280 (and a 300H&H) ...... I'm not.

Me too ... Depending on the chambering, short actions run out of mag space limiting how far you can seat out bullets.

That's why I picked the 6CM over the 243.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

The 30-06 works great. Especially if you are after something big like elk,moose,or big bears or boars. It will kill all of the above without outrageous recoil.

For deer,I want something that kicks less and/or shoots flatter at normal hunting ranges of 500 yards or less.

Last few years I've been using a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 120 grain monolithic bullet at 3000 fps. It shoots flatter and/or kicks less than a 30-06.

This year I'm going to try a 7mm-08 with a 120 grain monolithic bullet. Also going try a 243 with the 90 grain accubond. May even take my CZ in 6.5 Grendel. It shoots about as flat as a 30-06 and has a lot less recoil.

Where are you hunting that 500 yards is normal deer hunting range?
[quote=JoeBob]

-----------------------------------------

BINGO ! Springfield 1903 VERSUS Mauser *** NOT 8X57 vs 30-06.

Uh Huh. Thank You Elks

Jerry

You're welcome Jerry. smile

I think the .30/06 "parent" case is the 7x57 kinda sorta. After the Spanish-American war the US government took the 7x57 case and lengthen it and opened it up to .30 caliber. I.e. the U.S government wildcatted the 7x57 case to something else.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
They could have quit with the original short mag.
Originally Posted by battue
They could have quit with the original short mag.

The .284 Win ?

GRIN

Jerry
Nope: grin

.300Savage on the left, .308Win on the right....Not much that can't be done on soft skinned game with the .300Savage and a 130grain Barnes TTSX started out pushing 3000.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
"Greater" is a word that should be defined.

If by "greater" you mean a round that covers the most bases and fulfills the largest number of needs for hunting in the whole world, I agree 100%.

But greater (greatest) can also mean flattest shooting to some shooters.
It can mean most powerful to some shooters.
It can mean most accurate to some shooters.
It can mean most efficient in terms of powder burned to power produced to some shooters.
It can mean best for use in an auto-loader or lever action to some shooters.
It can mean least expensive to some shooters, and many other definitions of the word.

the 30-06 is none of these things ----------------------------other then being the best for the most usage, over the most areas, and the most types of game to be killed. But that's all.
laugh

While the action length would ideally match the cartridge, I don't think it's that big a deal. The 'why' would be that some prefer the .308 Win to the .30-06. Less powder, less recoil and small compromise on the upper end of performance. Those factors are subjective just like the compromise on action length. The rifle can mitigate that to a degree as well. A Tikka T3 lite in either 308 or '06 is already light at 6.4 lbs in standard length. A Ruger Hawkeye on the other hand, is heavier from the get-go, but it's available in a short action.
If a .308 is the exact same length and weight of a 30-06, why not just get the 30-06? A .308 Tikka or Ruger American Rifle seems like the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, unless you are going to chop the barrel to about 18 or 20 inches.

RAR's for 308, 243, etc. are a shorter action than '06s and 270s' etc.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Marc, Sorry man, I hadn't heard about your Brain injury. confused HOW did you bang you head ? whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by szihn

the 30-06 is none of these things ----------------------------other then being the best for the most usage, over the most areas, and the most types of game to be killed. But that's all.
laugh

New sig line ? cool smile

Jerry
O6 is okay, but there are lots better rounds!!!
Good for nothing, used for everything.
FIRST WCH,

I’ll never call you Sam E again !! He AINT what he acts !!! Lost all respect for him.

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Now, where does that leave the 308 ?
Out of my book !

Jerry
gnoahh

are saying.

Poppycock...to me.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jerry

Well the case head diameters are not the same exactly, the 30-06 has a .473 diameter and the 8x57 JS has a .470 diameter, a different shoulder angle and of course the rest.
Well the Springfield bolt has the cocking piece of the Krag and the dual bolt lugs like the various Mausers. The firing pin is different than the Mauser's being two piece instead of one piece. I would say the US should have gotten a better group of lawyers to make their case.
FIRST WCH,

I’ll never call you Sam E again !! He AINT what he acts !!! Lost all respect for him.

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Now, where does that leave the 308 ?
Out of my book !

Jerry

If I was starting out today as a new hunter the 308 would be on my short list. The 30-06 wouldn't make the cut. And I own both and mostly hunt with the 30-06
If I were starting from absolute zero, I’d have a Tikka 6.5CM, Sportsmatch, SWFA 3X9 and a pallet of ammo. Done.

If I was starting out today as a new hunter the 308 would be on my short list. The 30-06 wouldn't make the cut. And I own both and mostly hunt with the 30-06

It’s. a GOOD thing we ALL don’t want the same thing.

It’s hard snuff to find DIFF ammo & components
as it is.

One 308 was enuff for me. Yes I loaded it too.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Brad
Pass the 308 or 270...

Just the 308 is all that’s needed.
Originally Posted by szihn

the 30-06 is none of these things ----------------------------other then being the best < for the most usage> , over the most areas, and the most types of game to be killed. But that's all.
laugh

Steve,
I believe there is real 'merit' in your assessment.

16, I think you and szihn 'complement' each other's assessments, With my 'edit' grin

Good BEST for nothing, used for everything.

Fixt for you.

Jerry
Boom....
The THREE Greatest

Jerry

Can’t really argue with your choices.

I purchased a .270 Win for Daughter #1 and worked up loads for the 150g ABLR @ 2910fps. It will do for elk out to 600 yards with around 18 ft-lbs recoil. I plan to hunt elk in November using a .280 Rem with a 150g ABLRT @ 2998fps. Similar recoil and slightly less terminal energy and velocity at 600. But enough.

There are multiple .30-06 rifles in my safe. Boring but effective.

My 7mm RM was my first centerfire rifle. Got it in 1982. It has been a fine choice and has a permanent home in the safe.

A .300WM was added to my collection to satisfy my curiosity. Great cartridge but it really doesn’t do anything my 7mm RM wasn’t doing. And the 7mm RM does it with less recoil.

In terms of bang for the buck (terminal ballistics vs recoil), I think the 6.5CM has to be added to the list. The 6.5PRC is gaining wide acceptance and I think it will eventually need to be added as well.
I just deep cleaning my .30-06 and one 7x57. I think I’ll scrub up my .35 Whelen and .270 next. No, wait! I don’t have a .270 and likely never will unless someone gives me one with a good scope. Happy Trails
>yep 30-06 is a great cartridge , but for me i need speed and speed kills so hand me my 257 Weatherby Mag. 100 gr. bullet 3800fps which does a great job on bigger bucks ! good luck and have a safe fall,Pete53
The two rifles I would keep if all the others had to go:

- lever 30-30
- bolt 30-06

like em' both
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
[quote=jwall]The THREE Greatest

Jerry

Can’t really argue with your choices.

I purchased a .270 Win for Daughter #1 and worked up loads for the 150g ABLR @ 2910fps. It will do for elk out to 600 yards with around 18 ft-lbs recoil. I plan to hunt elk in November using a .280 Rem with a 150g ABLRT @ 2998fps. Similar recoil and slightly less terminal energy and velocity at 600. But enough.

There are multiple .30-06 rifles in my safe. Boring but effective.

My 7mm RM was my first centerfire rifle. Got it in 1982. It has been a fine choice and has a permanent home in the safe.

A .300WM was added to my collection to satisfy my curiosity. Great cartridge but it really doesn’t do anything my 7mm RM wasn’t doing. And the 7mm RM does it with less recoil.

In terms of bang for the buck (terminal ballistics vs recoil), I think the 6.5CM has to be added to the list.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ears Stopped UP.... Ain't listening ! grin grin

Seriously, I have a Win 70, (Modern Rifle) 6.5X55 and 120s are hitting 3000 fps WITH accuracy.
So I'll pass on the C M bun. whistle

Jerry

ADD: Altho I have and LIKE the 300 WM, I agree with you for MOST applications.
**IMO** the 300 WM can PUSH 200 gr N Pt fast enuff to be flatt FOR hitting large animals at LONG range.

However, I'm NOT likely to have that opportunity so.........

I have chosen the 7 RM as MY 1 and Done !
Mind you I'm NOT selling all the rest. wink grin
I have taken a lot of game with the 30-06 and I could have done all the big game hunting with that round. But owning one rifle would be boring I am sure and I still have the old 30-06 which gets hauled around as a backup rifle on a lot of trips. Usually gets pulled out around the end of the year as it is a lucky rifle. As for it's recoil being a bit tough for some of you manbun types cry me a river.
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
The two rifles I would keep if all the others had to go:

- lever 30-30
- bolt 30-06

like em' both

This is pretty darn close to where I'm at. 280 bolt and 30-30 lever. North America is covered.
Recoil too much from a 30-06? My 120 pound wife doesn't think so. A stock that fits properly and proper shooting technique make a world of difference.
Right On Mr Books !! grin

Jerry
The only problem with the .30-06 as a big game cartridge is it is so versatile it is boring 😀
Kind of off topic, and I’m just throwing this out there quickly, because it’s up in my craw, there’s been some back-n-forth about short action vs long, the .308, etc etc, and you guys have way more experience than me - quick question -

Will an 06 throw a 220 grainer at superior or inferior ballistics to a .358 win? And then down to a 200 gr?

Honest question. I like short actions and levers and scout rifles. Been wanting something that throws a heavier pill than my .308 99 sav. Does the 06 do so much better in that 200 to 220 grain bullet range? Irregardless of the action length in the rifle specified.

Please don’t go off on tangents. Just say if .358 will toss a 220 gr round equally or less than what an 06 would. Or, a 200 grain.
Thanks gents!

Edited again - to add - I know this potentially opens a parallel universe discussion about .35 cals.The Whelen, (off the 06 parent case) etc. not apples to apples, I understand. Not trying to stir that pot. Just wondering if the .358 w is ‘as good’ (ballistically) or better option for tossing the heavier pills at the top end of what an 06 will. That is all.
I am sure I have it all wrong

I bought a stainless Browning A-bolt BOSS in 1995
Swtiched the BOSS weight for a suppressor
Oh ya, almost forgot, 30-06

to this day shoots 3/4" groups or less with the suppressor (original BOSS System was 1/2")

I use Hornady Superformace 165g that clock at 2880-2900 from a 20" barrel

I live/hunt around 10,000' elev. with that in the equation I am zeroed at 240y, and have 2000lb energy at 400y

I was in a tiny Native Village in AK, the only ammo they had in in stock was [s]30 Remington AR[/s], opps or a I mean 30-06, a quite but priceless Value to the 30-06
Originally Posted by 300_savage
The only problem with the .30-06 as a big game cartridge is it is so versatile it is boring 😀

Uh Huh ! Uh Huh ! I like it. Uh Huh ! Uh Huh! I like it

Besides it is Old School!

Jerry
Mr Harry, in my experience, the 358 winchester will launch from a 20" barrel:

275 grain woodleigh @ 2200 fps
250 grain a-frame @ 2400 fps
225 grain partition @ 2500 fps
200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Alliant RL 10x used for all the above loads.

That is on par with the 30-06. Anyhow having put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou meat with the 358, dont sweat the hypothetical ballistic bullsht. Get your a s s in gear and go buy one. You won't regret it.
You're right. Who has time to read eight pages of response confirming this? ;-)
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

That is on par with the 30-06. Anyhow having put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou meat with the 358, dont sweat the hypothetical ballistic bullsht. Get your a s s in gear and go buy one. You won't regret it.

Hahaha.
Just socking away the $ and waiting for the right rifle to appear. Not like there’s tons of them around. I missed out on one I could kick myself for. Another Will come.

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Well exactly what will a 358 do that an 06 can't with the 06 running 200 grain Partitions at top velocities? Or a 308 for that matter? Big 358 fan here.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Hahaha.
Just socking away the $ and waiting for the right rifle to appear. Not like there’s tons of them around. I missed out on one I could kick myself for. Another Will come.

Nice, good luck. If prices are too steep, grab up any 243, 260, 7mm-08, or 308 and send to jes reboring. It'll come back to you a 358 win for about $250.

http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Par with 30/-06 — ONLY in MUZZLE fpe and
everyone knows that E doesn’t mean anything. ? smirk

Those same Bullet weights in 35 CAN NOT keep pace with the
SAME. bullet weight in a 30-06.... B C makes a LOT diff.

+ 30 cal.

NOW, Don’t call me prejudiced...... I had a Sav 99 358. AND a BLR 358
AND killed Deer & Turkeys with them. At the time, 1981–86, you could hunt Turkey not only with a rifle but also handguns )

From 100yds ON out the 06 will lay the 358 in the shade.

Thats not prejudice, it’s ballistical ...mathematical fact.

Jerry

..............Not saving me from any headaches.. There are many cartridges which are ballistically better in every category than is the 30-06. I own 4 of them. However, I will give credit where credit is due. The 30-06 is no doubt one of the best all-around cartridges in terms of factory ammo availability, the amount of factory rifles available chambered for it, offering lesser recoil than the bigger magnums, reduced factory ammo costs, reduced brass costs for the reloader, very accurate, outstanding bullet selections, will certainly satisfy most hunting requirements and on and on....Yeah ok, I get all that.

But when one's recoil tolerances can easily handle the magnums, when one's budget can easily handle any additional costs in owning those magnums; ie rifle costs, factory ammo costs, reloading costs etc, then NO, the 30-06 is not the do all and end all when it comes down to "there is nothing greater" in rifle cartridges.

So! Would you like us non 30-06 owners to sell our more powerful pieces to then mainly own 30-06s? Maybe you started this thread to save our wallets from higher costs and our shoulders from more felt recoil? lol.............Well thank you, but no thank you. Not selling any one nor any remaining three of my cartridge choices below to then buy a 30-06. Nor do I intend to add a 30-06 as a fifth rifle. For the majority, there is nothing greater than a 30-06.

However some of us are not in the majority. Therefore the 30-06, regardless of all its wonderful attributes and for it to be considered in terms of "there is nothing greater?" The dept of ballistics in all categories will have a few things to say about that....
Jwall, some things just work, don't they?
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
..............Not saving me from any headaches.. There are many cartridges which are ballistically better in every category than is the 30-06. I own 4 of them. However, I will give credit where credit is due. The 30-06 is no doubt one of the best all-around cartridges in terms of factory ammo availability, the amount of factory rifles available chambered for it, offering lesser recoil than the bigger magnums, reduced factory ammo costs, reduced brass costs for the reloader, very accurate, outstanding bullet selections, will certainly satisfy most hunting requirements and on and on....Yeah ok, I get all that.

But when one's recoil tolerances can easily handle the magnums, when one's budget can easily handle any additional costs in owning those magnums; ie rifle costs, factory ammo costs, reloading costs etc, then NO, the 30-06 is not the do all and end all when it comes down to "there is nothing greater" in rifle cartridges.

So! Would you like us non 30-06 owners to sell our more powerful pieces to then mainly own 30-06s? Maybe you started this thread to save our wallets from higher costs and our shoulders from more felt recoil? lol.............Well thank you, but no thank you. Not selling any one nor any remaining three of my cartridge choices below to then buy a 30-06. Nor do I intend to add a 30-06 as a fifth rifle. For the majority, there is nothing greater than a 30-06.

However some of us are not in the majority. Therefore the 30-06, regardless of all its wonderful attributes and for it to be considered in terms of "there is nothing greater?" The dept of ballistics in all categories will have a few things to say about that....

I’m sorry you like to aggravate yourself
Agree!

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY !!

It’s not my # 1 cartridge....It’s a good all around , Hard to beat for versatility, AMERICAN
cartridge.

I have other “Target Specific” better cartridges but the 06

DESERVES its rightful place, honor, & respect.

Jerry

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Hahaha.

Nice, good luck. If prices are too steep, grab up any 243, 260, 7mm-08, or 308 and send to jes reboring. It'll come back to you a 358 win for about $250.

Yup.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...mber-montana-358-winchester#Post15300828

I also have a Kimber Montana in .30-06 that shoots the 165 Accubond into bugholes over H4350.

17rem
5mm Remington
222 rem
222 rem mag
6mm rem
6.5 rem mag
280 rem
7mm SAUM
300 SAUM
8mm Remington
350 Rem mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338RUM

Did I miss any?

I just remembered, didn’t Remington introduce a 30 cal AR cartridge a few years back? I think it was introduced right before the 1st ammo scare and never took off.
Originally Posted by viking

17rem
5mm Remington
222 rem
222 rem mag
6mm rem
6.5 rem mag
280 rem
7mm SAUM
300 SAUM
8mm Remington
350 Rem mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338RUM

Did I miss any?

I just remembered, didn’t Remington introduce a 30 cal AR cartridge a few years back? I think it was introduced right before the 1st ammo scare and never took off.

Well, they got the 25/06 right....
Let's face it, there are many "better" cartridges than the '06 depending upon your definition of "better", but the '06 offers a very nice balance of bore size, versatility, ballistics, recoil, barrel life, and availability of ammo and availability of chambered rifles.
It’s also the most talked about cartridge ever.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Let's face it, there are many "better" cartridges than the '06 depending upon your definition of "better", but the '06 offers a very nice balance of bore size, versatility, ballistics, recoil, barrel life, and availability of ammo and availability of chambered rifles.

And THAT, is what makes it great!
I have done everything I could to avoid using the old .30-06 for most of my life just because everyone had one. I would buy one every now and then just because it was chambered in a Rifle I liked but always ended up selling them. I tried all the calibers around it .270, .280, 8x57mm, 7x57, .300 H&H and God knows what else. Now that I am past 50 I find that when I want to use a scoped rifle I reach for a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional in.30-06 with a Kahles 6x scope. Simple and uncomplicated and just works. It makes sense now after all these years

[Linked Image from ]
Took ya long enuff !! whistle

grin grin

Jerry
It’s also the most talked about cartridge ever.

EVEN the 'man buns' whistle cool

Jerry
Yes Ricky, it’s a very good “little” round! wink memtb
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

I’m sorry you like to aggravate yourself
....LOL>>>LOL...............Not aggravated and don't be sorry....In fact my first rifle fired at 9 years old was my dad's sporterized 30-06.
In Australia they use 30-06 for everything including 2000lb scrub bulls(feral cattle). Bullets of choice 200+ grain round noses. Has also taken water buffalo, which is a tougher animal. Not the ideal stopper rifle but gets the job done, I dont know anyone killed using a 30-06.
"All Hail the 30-06!!"...😁......Hb
Hmmm. Have you guys ever heard of college co-eds?

My 06 Stainless Classic is itching to get out to Montana in just a few short weeks and put the hurtin on a big ol muley. Can’t wait!
Hmmm. Have you guys ever heard of college co-eds?

Yeah, you wanna B the first ‘girl’ in ? whistle
laugh laugh laugh
ROF

Sometimes I crack myself up. LOL

Man, when the door is opened....... !!

Jerry
My 06 Stainless Classic is itching to get out to Montana in just a few short weeks and put the hurtin on a big ol muley. Can’t wait!

Good luck RB!

Here’s my old SS M70 FWT 30-06 with a bull I shot 15 years ago here in MT:

Took ya long enuff !! whistle

grin grin

Jerry

I am a slow learner
Have come to appreciate the .30-06 more and more as I age.

There are cartridges that shoot fatter bullets, shoot faster, shoot flatter or whatever. But a good .30-06 is still hard to beat for an all-pupose rifle.

There are cartridges that shoot fatter bullets, shoot faster, shoot flatter or whatever. But a good .30-06 is still hard to beat for an all-pupose rifle.

I’m the opposite... I’ve come to appreciate the 270 and 308 more. In the field they do the same thing, but kick less. However, the 30-06 is indeed a fine cartridge.
Mr. Gnoahhh's sig line says it all.

""Not much you can't fix with $700 and a .30-06." Joe Ryba"

ATST -- I'm VERY glad WE are not limited to ONE rifle OR ONE cartridge.

There are several I like & use. Some I'll never have again.

Aren't we all in the same boat ?

Jerry

17rem
5mm Remington
222 rem
222 rem mag
6mm rem
6.5 rem mag
280 rem
7mm SAUM
300 SAUM
8mm Remington
350 Rem mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
338RUM

Did I miss any?

All the ones that WERE successful, maybe?
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

200 grain ttsx @ 2700fps

Hahaha.

Yup.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...mber-montana-358-winchester#Post15300828

I also have a Kimber Montana in .30-06 that shoots the 165 Accubond into bugholes over H4350.

Ny,

Nice little 358 carbine you've put together. I have found on my moose hunts, the 358 Winchester with 275 grain woodleigh, have anchored large bulls just as effectively as my 9.3x62 with 300 grainers. I've never field dressed or quartered a bull in a swamp or in the river. I aim for front quarter bones to brake out the front end.

Propped that 358 rifle over my hunting pack with a 200 grain ttsx vs 200 grain accubond load in 30 mph winds. I found 400 yard hits were easy with both, but the longer ttsx bucked the wind better.
30-06, 308, 7-08, 270, 280, and a bunch others.........

A 150 grain bullet out of any of them will all do pretty much the same thing at pretty near the same recoil levels. I’d be more into the platform than the chamber.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
30-06, 308, 7-08, 270, 280, and a bunch others.........

A 150 grain bullet out of any of them will all do pretty much the same thing at pretty near the same recoil levels. I’d be more into the platform than the chamber.

Words of wisdom...
Bob

Jerry

That is from a poem written by Jeff Cooper's daughter;

Grandpa's Lesson
Pappy took to drinkin' back when I was barely three.
Ma got pretty quiet. She was frettin', you could see.
So I was sent to Grandpa and he raised me up real good.
He taught me what I oughta and he taught me what I should.
I learned a heap 'o lessons from the yarns he liked to tell.
There's one I won't forget because I learned it 'speshly well.
"There jist ain't many folk who live a peaceful, carefree life.
Along with all the good times there'll be lotsa grief and strife.
But ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Grandpa courted Grandma near the town of old Cheyenne.
Her daddy was cantankerous - a very greedy man.
He wouldn't give permission for a fancy wedding day
'Til grandpa paid a dowry--biggest ever people say.
Her daddy softened up when Grandpa said that he could fix
Him up with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six.

Grandpa herded cattle down around Jalisco way.
Ended up behind some iron bars one dusty day.
Seems the local jefe craved my Grandpa's pinto mare.
Grandpa wouldn't sell her so he lit on out of there.
Didn't take much doin' 'cept a couple special tricks
plus seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six.

Then there was that Faro game near San Francisco say.
Grandpa's cards was smokin' hot and he took all one day.
He woke up nearly naked in a ditch next early morn'.
With nothin' but his flannel shirt, and it was ripped and torn.
Those others were professionals and they don't play for kicks.
He lost seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six.

He begged some woolen trousers off the local storekeep there
Who loaned him both a pony and a rifle on a dare.
He caught those thievin' cardsharks at another Faro game.
He got back all his property and also his good name.
He left one bleedin' badly and another mostly lame.
My grandpa's trusty rifle shoots just where you choose to aim.
Grandpa's slowin' down a bit and just the other night
He handed me his rifle and a box sealed up real tight.
He fixed me with them pale grey eyes and this is what he said,
"You're awful young but steady too and I will soon be dead.
I'll bet this here old rifle and this honest money too
Will come in mighty handy just as readily for you.
There jist ain't many folk who lead a carefree, peaceful life.
Along with times of happiness, there's always woe and strife.
But ... aint many troubles that a man cain't fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
December, 1995
How bout that C H

Never heard/read that. cool grin grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by Brad

I’m the opposite... I’ve come to appreciate the 270 and 308 more. In the field they do the same thing, but kick less. However, the 30-06 is indeed a fine cartridge.

Agree with this, when comparing 308 Win and 30-06 in performance. With 180 gr loads the numbers in general typically indicate an increase of about 25% in powder for the 06 with an increase of about 4% in velocity for the 06. If that’s important to some that’s fine, certainly nothing to lose sleep over.
How bout that C H

Never heard/read that. cool grin grin

Jerry

Me neither! Guess I better change my sig line, and ask Joe if he knows.
Soon as you hear people saying things like " essentially, nearly the same, just as good, not quite but a little less..." You know they are the kind you don't want to loan money to and they don't know what they are talking about.

You never hear a banker reply, "Thanks a lot, that is almost the whole payment. It is close enough." or hear people looking for a gun that goes off just like an '06 but only a little less.

It is or it is NOT. And the reality doesn't change because of funny stories or poetry.
Jack R

You know what 2nd Place is......

the First L......

I have RUNG out the 06 and 308 and they are NOT that close. The heavier the bullet the more the 308 loses.

Yep, "almost as good as",.... "nearly the same",... "so close"........ YET SO FAR

As you said, it either IS or it is NOT.

Jerry
Exactly.
breaking news . . .

jwall says the 30-06 is better than the _______ (fill in the blank with literally anything)

Originally Posted by shinbone
breaking news . . .

jwall says the 30-06 is better than the _______ (fill in the blank with literally anything)

Show Me and Us the source of that Quote !!!

Waiting.

Jerry

Here's a REAL quote. Not WHAT shinbone said.

Jerry

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY !!

It’s not my # 1 cartridge....It’s a good all around , Hard to beat for versatility, AMERICAN
cartridge.

I have other “Target Specific” better cartridges but the 06
DESERVES its rightful place, honor, & respect.

Here's another REAL quote. Not what shinbone says.

Jerry
[quote=jwall]The THREE Greatest

Lesser cartridges are well........less

Seriously, I have a Win 70, (Modern Rifle) 6.5X55 and 120s are hitting 3000 fps WITH accuracy.
So I'll pass on the C M bun. whistle

ADD: Altho I have and LIKE the 300 WM, I agree with you for MOST applications.
**IMO** the 300 WM can PUSH 200 gr N Pt fast enuff to be flatt FOR hitting large animals at LONG range.

However, I'm NOT likely to have that opportunity so.........

I have chosen the 7 RM as MY 1 and Done !
Mind you I'm NOT selling all the rest. wink grin

----------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER real Quote, not what shinebone says.

Had enuff CROW yet ?

Jerry
breaking news . . .

Show Me the Source of your quote.

Jerry
The reality is that the .308 Win. is better than the 30-06. Period.

It is more accurate. One never sees the older cartridge in any serious competition.
I've owned 3 30-06:
Rem 798
Sporterized k-98
Browning 1895

One of the most convenient things, was going to sportmans warehouse, and finding $33 a box of federal blue box 220 grain. They registered better than 2400 fps in every one of my 06's. That's some no-nonsense, Alaskan goodness right there.

The k98 became my loaner rifle. Until I moved up to the Northwest Arctic to train my dog team on the sea ice. Multiple Inupiat hunters hounded me till I sold it. 30-06 sells fast in a village. Odd ball rifles, not so much.
308? Aka 30-06 short is better? For an all around hunting rifle?

It makes you a better hunter as you have too get 100y closer to have the same impact energy with your heavier Elk bullets at long range

My ‘06 shoots clover leafs to 3/4” w factory ammo all day, factory production rifle, I am sure it that is tight enough

German Salazar, a competive target shooter built an identical spec’d ‘06 & 308, and recorded the differences in competition, They weren’t big enough to make a difference in the Elk woods. 30-06 did better at longer ranges as the bullet stayed super sonic longer
[quote=shinbone]breaking news . . .

Show Me the Source of your quote.

-----------------------------------------------

Once again the F M A makes claims they have NO basis in fact for their "postulation" aka mockings.
F M A = Fake Media Association

postulation = assumption

Jdrry
Originally Posted by MtnT
308? Aka 30-06 short is better? ?

German Salazar, a competive target shooter built an identical spec’d ‘06 & 308, and recorded the differences in competition, They weren’t big enough to make a difference in the Elk woods.

** 30-06 did better at longer ranges as the bullet stayed super sonic longer

imagine that ? smirk (smirk) = sarcasm smirk (smirk) = sarcasm

just so you know !

Jerry
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
The reality is that the .308 Win. is better than the 30-06. Period.

It is more accurate. One never sees the older cartridge in any serious competition.

“Better” is a qualitative term which requires value judgement based on a set of one or more specifications, whether those specifications are based on wants, needs, personal preference or some other requirement.

As such, your statement may be true for you, but that does not make it a universal truth. Period.

Match shooting imposes a different set of requirements than does hunting. Differences in SAAMI twist and pressure specifications also impose practical limits for the majority of shooters who use factory rifles and ammo. The 12 twist of the .308 limits its ability to stabilize the heavier bullets – hence the lack of factory .308 hunting ammo for them.

The .308 Win is more “efficient” but even in factory ammo with its lower SAAMI pressures, the .30-06 launches lightweight bullets up to 200fps faster and the midweight bullets up to 100fps faster. Hand loaders can easily and safely push .30-06 pressures to .308 Win levels for even more performance gains.

Lower recoil is one reason many people prefer the .308. This is important to some, especially match shooters. For hunting, not so much. The fact that some cartridges are more popular than the .30-06 for match shooting doesn’t enter into my calculations as to what best suits my hunting needs.

Both of my current .308’s are short barreled rifles – an AR10 with a 18” and a Ruger Scout with a 16.1”. Both were chosen for specific reasons and both meet the requirements better than would a .30-06. My three .30-06 rifles are all sport 22” barrels and meet my hunting requirements better than did the two 22” .308’s I’ve had but sold or traded.

There is no practical difference for my needs between the accuracy potential of a .308 Win and .30-06. Differences in individual rifles, scopes and ammo choices make far greater differences. I frequently use my stainless/boat-paddle Ruger MKII .30-06 to shoot the 5” steel at 600 yards, with a hit rate that is as good as any of the .308’s I’ve owned. If I want extreme accuracy, though, I’ll go to my heavy barrel rifles chambered for 6.5CM or 6.5-06AI.

While both the .308 Win and .30-06 are fine cartridge cartridges, neither is universally “better” than the other. Or better than any other cartridge for that matter.
The way I look at it, the 30-06 will pretty much do with a 180 what a .308 will do with a 165. The same goes for the 30-06 with 165's as compared to the .308 with 150's. Pick what you need and go with it.
As has been mentioned, recoil and platforms...

The Zastava rifles are not light guns. But the Bavarian "pig back" style stock apparently does not interface with me very well. The Winchester 70 Classic with cheapo Ramline stock I am shooting right now is more comfortable than the 7x57mm and maybe even 6.5x55mm (with handloads) Zastavas I was shooting last fall/winter. It just isn't hitting me the same way.
I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's a long way from being the worst. If I had to pick one cartridge for the US it would be the 30-06. If I had to pick one rifle for the US it would be a Ruger Stainless Mark II with a skeleton stock. Same combination I used for 30 years in Alaska. I trust it to handle anything.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's a long way from being the worst. If I had to pick one cartridge for the US it would be the 30-06. If I had to pick one rifle for the US it would be a Ruger Stainless Mark II with a skeleton stock. Same combination I used for 30 years in Alaska. I trust it to handle anything.

I have been a paddle stock user for years. Picked up a .30-06 this year that shoots everything well and the stuff it likes really well. Have loads for 125 Ballistic Tips (reduced), 150 TTSX at full throttle, and a 165 NAB at comfortable but upper end velocities. It was just no trick getting anything to shoot around an inch or less. If I had more time I would probably have a 180 grain load worked up also. A 168 TSX or TTSX loaded hot or a 180 accubond would probably be about as versatile of a load as you could get within typical hunting ranges if looking for a one load to do it all.

Getting ready for an elk hunt tomorrow and was looking at my paddle stock .30-06, paddle stock .300, paddle stock .35 Whelen and a .30 Gibbs project rifle I have been playing with. Getting tired of the extra pound on the .300 and the 24" barrel is a pain in the timber. The Gibbs may go tomorrow for the novelty but I am having a legitimate internal conversation about why I really have any of them other then the .30-06.

That would be the one on the left. The one on the right is the .280 Rem All Weather Ruger Hawkeye I'll be hunting elk with next week. A SIL will be using my boat paddle MKII .300WM when 3rd Rifle opens. That rifle will become my backup - or maybe my primary - rifle the following week (4th Rifle). The boat paddle.338WM is staying home this year.

[Linked Image]
I think an 06 is what I’m taking next weekend.

That would be the one on the left. The one on the right is the .280 Rem All Weather Ruger Hawkeye I'll be hunting elk with next week. A SIL will be using my boat paddle MKII .300WM when 3rd Rifle opens. That rifle will become my backup - or maybe my primary - rifle the following week (4th Rifle). The boat paddle.338WM is staying home this year.

[Linked Image]

If you’re not going to use the 06 then pass it along to someone who will
I love my two ought six rifles but even though the action/bolt is barely an inch longer they do feel way longer and more cumbersome than my 7-08. Where I hunt I frequently move between woods and fields. So far the ability to bring the 7-08 into the aim faster and with less hassle outshines the 06 harder hittingness.
I ould lighten and shorten the 06 but it'll be precious close to a 308 then
I dont think anyone can take anything away from an 06 That being said

Isnt this really an argument on those who just want tried and true and just dont want a lot of change

and those that like to try new things new rifles and bullets etc?

I am pretty sure neither is wrong

Hank
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I used to like them.. For years... Then I started using a .270 and now I’m wondering why I wasted so much of my life on an 06...

Todd

My experience too......
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by Justahunter

Todd

My experience too......

Everytime I use a 270 on something i end up going right back to the 30-06.

[Linked Image]

If you’re not going to use the 06 then pass it along to someone who will

It has taken elk before and will again. Just not this year.
the 300 RUM easily smashes the boring old outdated slow af '06

with energy/velocity at 500 yards what the '06 does at the muzzle, so....what's so great about the 30.06 again ?
? - ? - ? - ? - ?
Originally Posted by Swamplord

with energy/velocity at 500 yards what the '06 does at the muzzle, so....what's so great about the 30.06 again ?

Nothing like “facts” that aren’t even close to the truth.

Federal Lists a 180g AB load for both the 30-06 and 300 RUM, at 2700fps and 3200fps respectively. When you compare the energy charts for those loads, it is clear the RUM provides more energy down range. But does the RUM’s energy at 500 yards equal the 30-06 at the muzzle? No – more like 150 yards. The 30-06 provides 2913fpe at the muzzle while the RUM provides 2085fpe at 500.

To achieve the admittedly impressive muzzle velocities, the RUM burns 50-75% more powder. While the 30-06 can get to 2700fps with around 57,000 PSI, the RUM requires around 63,000 PSI to get to 3200fps. The .30-06 will have much longer barrel life as a result. The 30-06 in a 8.3 pound rifle can get there with just over 21 ft-lbs of recoil, the same weight RUM load generates over 40 ft-lbs and a 37% greater recoil velocity. The cited Federal ammo for the Rum costs $68.99 at midwayusa while the 30-06 ammo costs $37.99.

The truth is that a 30-06 will do everything most people need done a very high percentage of the time. My guess is over 99%. It does it with far less recoil, longer barrel life and ammo that is far less expensive and available in a much greater variety.

Use a RUM if you wish. I’ll stick with my 30-06. All three of them.

CH

Remember you are talking to swamp thing !

Jerry

Federal Lists a 180g AB load for both the 30-06 and 300 RUM, at 2700fps and 3200fps respectively. When you compare the energy charts for those loads, it is clear the RUM provides more energy down range. But does the RUM’s energy at 500 yards equal the 30-06 at the muzzle? No – more like 150 yards. The 30-06 provides 2913fpe at the muzzle while the RUM provides 2085fpe at 500.

To achieve the admittedly impressive muzzle velocities, the RUM burns 50-75% more powder. While the 30-06 can get to 2700fps with around 57,000 PSI, the RUM requires around 63,000 PSI to get to 3200fps. The .30-06 will have much longer barrel life as a result. The 30-06 in a 8.3 pound rifle can get there with just over 21 ft-lbs of recoil, the same weight RUM load generates over 40 ft-lbs and a 37% greater recoil velocity. The cited Federal ammo for the Rum costs $68.99 at midwayusa while the 30-06 ammo costs $37.99.

The truth is that a 30-06 will do everything most people need done a very high percentage of the time. My guess is over 99%. It does it with far less recoil, longer barrel life and ammo that is far less expensive and available in a much greater variety.

One thing that is not represented in this observation is the RUM is plenty capable of firing a 220 gr ELD-X load at 2,900 fps, while the 30-06 will launch a 178 gr ELD-X at about 2,735 fps. Comparing these two the RUM makes more energy at 350 yards than the 06 at the muzzle. Drifts 2.5" less and about 1.5" less in drop. The RUM is a very specialized beast and utilized by some who prefer heavy .30 cal projectiles flying fast and delivering big hits a 500 yards. I only point this out because to my way of thinking the RUM was designed for 200+ grain bullet use. At 500 yards the 06 is carrying 1,660 ft-lbs, drifting at 15" and dropping 37"; the RUM having 2,560 ft-lbs, 11.5" of drift and 31" of drop. The 06 is plenty good in the field, the RUM is more in comparison to the 30-378 Wby and other bigger 30s that are less carried by most afield. For me I'd rather move up to a 338 Win Mag with 250s at 2,700 fps if I need a big jump from the 06.
LOOololol ... there goes that retarded old argument about
OMG recoil ... what are you 12 ? or did you get Caitlyned ?

If an able bodied grown man shrinks back in terror from the "recoil" of the 300 RUM then maybe surgical removal of the testes is def in order

They make barrels every day, really good ones too ....
factory barrels are junk temps that are meant to be replaced, did you not know that ? Did you not know that barrels are screwed on and not welded on ? WOW ! imagine the possibilities

Reality TV moment right there ...
OMG ! we'll have to load just two rounds this year instead of 20 or we may not survive the winter because the 300 RUM eats Sooooooo much powder ..... dude, for reals ?

Factory ammo ? WTF is that lol ? .......
People still believe the numbers printed on the box of factory ammo ? SMH .. when you get a chance, send that factory '06 ammo over a chronograph will ya, there's your erection killer, lol

try this on ....,

205 gr 30 cal bullet with .815 bc at 3300 fps = ?
use any ballistic calculator you wish, they will all show you that at 500 yards it's still going faster with more energy than any factory '06 180 gr load at the muzzle ...

learning sure is fun ain't it ? lmao
LOOololol ... there goes that retarded old argument about
OMG recoil ... what are you 12 ? or did you get Caitlyned ?

If an able bodied grown man shrinks back in terror from the "recoil" of the 300 RUM then maybe surgical removal of the testes is def in order

They make barrels every day, really good ones too ....
factory barrels are junk temps that are meant to be replaced, did you not know that ? Did you not know that barrels are screwed on and not welded on ? WOW ! imagine the possibilities

Reality TV moment right there ...
OMG ! we'll have to load just two rounds this year instead of 20 or we may not survive the winter because the 300 RUM eats Sooooooo much powder ..... dude, for reals ?

Factory ammo ? WTF is that lol ? .......
People still believe the numbers printed on the box of factory ammo ? SMH .. when you get a chance, send that factory '06 ammo over a chronograph will ya, there's your erection killer, lol

try this on ....,

205 gr 30 cal bullet with .815 bc at 3300 fps = ?
use any ballistic calculator you wish, they will all show you that at 500 yards it's still going faster with more energy than any factory '06 180 gr load at the muzzle ...

learning sure is fun ain't it ? lmao

Not another small penis/big mouth poster needing to show the world his awesomeness
what ? skin too thin to pick up heavy sarcasm ?
Hard to argue against the original thesis, but for me, and I love my Nosler M48 ‘06, my 6.5-06 really has me thinking it’s a very versatile option.

I

Thank you.

I can drive over to BassPro and have a relatively good chance of finding some decent .30-06 ammo, if I absolutely positively had to have some .

Try that with .300 RUM.

[/quote]

Thank you.

I can drive over to BassPro and have a relatively good chance of finding some decent .30-06 ammo, if I absolutely positively had to have some .

Try that with .300 RUM.[/quote]

Factory ammo again, lmao ... in this day and age, smh
Nobody's fault but your own that you have to drive somewhere to get ammo, I'll just walk into my garage and crank out 100 rounds before you get home, with bullets and powder that you will never find in factory ammo and will squeeze 100% potential out of the cartridge while you strut around with your anemic, slow, low bc factory ammo , have you ever chronographed factory 30'06 ammo ? barely 2600 fps with 180 gr bullets, pretty sad .... mine are zipping out at 3350 fps with single digit sd's and ragged lil 5 shot holes at 200 yards

all these arguments are null & void, personal hangups and chicken little gripes over self imposed, imagined nothings .....

my quest is performance... and the 30'06 will never be better than the 300 RUM, no matter how much fluff you imagine #High Velocity Matters

ok I'm done now .... you guys act like I'm bashing your old lady or something, all grumpy n shyt......,,

300 RUM still King of the 30's
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

can you find these bullets in factory loads ? nope and your factory barrel twist would be useless anyway

Did the Super Bulldozer II just come out? I can't find it on Badland's site.
Swampy are you big sticks cousin? I got a 300 win that runs 180 npt's at 3130 fps what is 70 fps gonna do for me? I'll still be shooting when you are rebarreling. Or do you have a backup?

Factory ammo again, lmao ... in this day and age, smh
Nobody's fault but your own that you have to drive somewhere to get ammo, I'll just walk into my garage and crank out 100 rounds before you get home, with bullets and powder that you will never find in factory ammo and will squeeze 100% potential out of the cartridge while you strut around with your anemic, slow, low bc factory ammo , have you ever chronographed factory 30'06 ammo ? barely 2600 fps with 180 gr bullets, pretty sad .... mine are zipping out at 3350 fps with single digit sd's and ragged lil 5 shot holes at 200 yards

all these arguments are null & void, personal hangups and chicken little gripes over self imposed, imagined nothings .....

my quest is performance... and the 30'06 will never be better than the 300 RUM, no matter how much fluff you imagine #High Velocity Matters

ok I'm done now .... you guys act like I'm bashing your old lady or something, all grumpy n shyt......,,

300 RUM still King of the 30's

So you want to compare handloads using bullets that don’t even show up on the manufacturer’s web site and using a custom RUM barrel of probably around 28-30” in length against factory ammo and rifles? Apples to oranges.

As to your contention “the 30'06 will never be better than the 300 RUM”, better is a qualitative term deponent on the specific criteria being applied by the person making the judgement. While the RUM may be “better” for you, that does not make it “better” for the millions who chose the .30-06 over the .300 RUM.

For them, the .30-06 is indeed “better”.
Man, put a 30-06 in a thread and man, stuff goes sideways whistle

I’ve got both and like them both pretty well. Just another money sucker to try and find each version of perfect.
It's not the cartridge, its the blind subservience when there are so many better cartridges available.

Whatever. Shoot what ya like.
Originally Posted by trplem
Did the Super Bulldozer II just come out? I can't find it on Badland's site.

Testing trials on a new bullet with the "death star" hollow point.....

Got the first 100 pcs in at the tail end of moose season, plugged an eater moose on the last day with one of my 30 cal wildcats, Lapua/Norma case cut down to 2",

Spectacular performance for a copper solid tipped hollow point bullet

It's not the cartridge, its the blind subservience to it when there are so many better cartridges available.

This....^
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
It's not the cartridge, its the blind subservience to it when there are so many better cartridges available.

This....^

I'd like someone to actually name a "better" cartridge.

And why can't those who feel there are such cartridges make their case without ad hominem slurs like "blind subservience" when talking about 30-096 advocates?

If a person doesn't know what cartridges are better than the 30-06, then there is no point in listing them for him - that gets back to the "blind" part of the "blind subservience" description.

JMHO
If a person doesn't know what cartridges are better than the 30-06, then there is no point in listing them for him - that gets back to the "blind" part of the "blind subservience" description.

JMHO

Can't do it, huh?

JMHO
Better how?

Just curious.
Faster means more powder burnt, less barrel life.
Bigger means more recoil, more expense.

Not that there's anything wrong with those, they are value judgments. What do you value?
in the 30 caliber realm ..... these are all better than the 30'06

in the 30 caliber realm ..... these are all better than the 30'06

So you claim. But that is all it is, a claim with nothing to back it up.

And even if they are "better" in your mind, that doesn't mean they are universally better for everyone and there are millions of people who would dispute your claim based on what is "better" for them.

Your point of view, narrow as it is, is only that a personal opinion.
and so are these ... cause theys mine mang ! lol

power is sexy

left to right

30 cal. 175 gr Federal Terminal Ascent bullets

300 LRC (2" Norma Imp)
300 LRH (Norma Imp)
300 RUM
300 Razor (30/500 NE Imp)
300 Headhunter (30/470 NE Imp)
300 Wolverine (30/500 Jeffery Imp)

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
and so are these ... cause theys mine mang ! lol

power is sexy

left to right

30 cal. 175 gr Federal Terminal Ascent bullets

300 LRC (2" Norma Imp)
300 LRH (Norma Imp)
300 RUM
300 Razor (30/500 NE Imp)
300 Headhunter (30/470 NE Imp)
300 Wolverine (30/500 Jeffery Imp)

I like your choice of bullet (Terminal Ascent) and had planned to hunt with a 155g TA in my .280 Rem this year. Worked up loads for the 280 and 7mm RM, then practiced out to 600. They shoot very well in my rifles. Unfortunately I waited too long to order more and have them on backorder. I'll be hunting elk using the 280 Rem loaded with 150g ABLR instead.

And even if they are "better" in your mind, that doesn't mean they are universally better for everyone and there are millions of people who would dispute your claim based on what is "better" for them.

Which is exactly the same as what the "30-06 sycophants" do and say. How ironic that they are the victims of their own arguments. But, of course they will deny it, which is where that pesky word "blind" crops up again. So sad for them.

Again, shoot what ya like.

Which is exactly the same as what the "30-06 sycophants" do and say. How ironic that they are the victims of their own arguments. But, of course they will deny it, which is where that pesky word "blind" crops up again. So sad for them.

Again, shoot what ya like.

I'll be the first to admit that "better" is a personal opinion. It is, in fact, something I've pointed out many times and have done so a couple times again in this thread. That doesn't make me a "30-06 sycophant", even though my money has supported my belief as to which is "better" for me. And that's a .30-06 six times and I still have three. Zero .300 RUM rifles ever, and I don't see that changing.

I agree, people are free to shoot what they want - I couldn't care less what they choose.

CH - roger that.
If theres anything sexier & cooler than big 30's , that would be big 338's

Its interesting, when I was in Mekoryuk AK at the general store, they had all those 30 cal ammo's in stock. They are cool, not going to argue that

I just warmed up my 25yo '06 for elk season

20" barrel, off the shelf factory rifle (from 25year ago, no work, no bedding, no trigger job, to it ever) , with off the shelf Hornady ammo, 165g 2900fps

with a bipod and no rear rest, no sand bag, shot a 2 3/4" group, with light winds and heat mirage

that was at 400y BTW

Elk Season starts tomorrow for me
Originally Posted by MtnT
Its interesting, when I was in Mekoryuk AK at the general store, they had all those 30 cal ammo's in stock. They are cool, not going to argue that

I just warmed up my 25yo '06 for elk season

20" barrel, off the shelf factory rifle (from 25year ago, no work, no bedding, no trigger job, to it ever) , with off the shelf Hornady ammo, 165g 2900fps

with a bipod and no rear rest, no sand bag, shot a 2 3/4" group, with light winds and heat mirage

that was at 400y BTW

Elk Season starts tomorrow for me

The ol 30-06 just works!
swamplord sounds familiar.
Originally Posted by wahoo
swamplord sounds familiar.

Yep, the Creature from the Black Lagoon Lives.
© 24hourcampfire