-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures. Brings back childhood memories of working in the wood.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimy
This one made some noise when it hit the ground, that's a stihl pro series saw with a 22 inch bar .
The big saw is the one that is stuck in the log the one sitting on the wood is an O28,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's some nice looking firewood. Looks dense and pretty straight grained.

Most of mine is lodgepole pine, some doug fir. Not very dense as firewood goes, but most of it splits up pretty easy, and has thin bark. The doug fir has some thicker bark though.

The worse is splitting some of the few really knotty twisted up pieces.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Good stuff MM!

Almost makes me wanna be cold.

We get some cold spells, but it's nothing like Havre was. The hi-line is another magnitude of cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No wood stove to feed here, depended almost soley on wood heat at the last house and others before. I miss it. Especially this time of year. Got a gas "fireplace" here its OK but it ain't no wood stove. I've taken to keeping a small wood pile anyways for camping and such which is kind of silly cause there's wood galore any where i go pretty much, but it makes me happy smile
BTW MM 2nd row from the left four rows down right side there's a piece 1/2" out of line. LOL. j/k great looking pile. I remember someone, maybe a grandpa? Can't remember but anways the standard I was told is loose enough for the mouse to run through but not the cat. Words to live by wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MontanaMarine;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and this finds you and yours well.

Thanks for starting the timely thread for many of us and for sharing how you do it in your part of the world.

Up here we download a free firewood permit which allows us 10 cords of either standing or dead fallen wood. While it used to be any wood, a few years back some Mensa candidate decided we couldn't cut either Larch or Cedar anymore, so we have to do with Doug Fir for the cold months and pine or spruce for the shoulder season.

Here's a typical tree that came down sometime in the years previous to me finding it. That's 24" bar on the Husky.

[Linked Image]

Depending on how far one wants to drive, finding a nice sized tree near a road can be tough, but if one has the time to skid it out.

[Linked Image]

Last year I picked up a small trailer to haul some of the fire suppression pruning I've been doing on our yard Ponderosa Pines and for bringing firewood down. It's easier to load and unload than the back of the pickup, but of course less maneuverable than just a pickup.

[Linked Image]

The saws are a 372XPG Husky and a Stihl MS170 that goes along as a spare. The axe collection is for splitting, limbing and what have you.

The arms that accompany me most often in the mountains are a Tikka T1X .22 and a Chiappa 92 Trapper in .357 Mag that comes along to deal with the vagaries of life.

Thanks again for the thread and for those who've shared their firewood photos as well, it's interesting to see and read how it's done in other places.

All the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Luv this pic...........

but I'm a lazy fhuucck

Wood smells good burning.......but NG in the house for me

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MontanaMarine;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and this finds you and yours well.

Thanks for starting the timely thread for many of us and for sharing how you do it in your part of the world.

Up here we download a free firewood permit which allows us 10 cords of either standing or dead fallen wood. While it used to be any wood, a few years back some Mensa candidate decided we couldn't cut either Larch or Cedar anymore, so we have to do with Doug Fir for the cold months and pine or spruce for the shoulder season.

Here's a typical tree that came down sometime in the years previous to me finding it. That's 24" bar on the Husky.

[Linked Image]

Depending on how far one wants to drive, finding a nice sized tree near a road can be tough, but if one has the time to skid it out.

[Linked Image]

Last year I picked up a small trailer to haul some of the fire suppression pruning I've been doing on our yard Ponderosa Pines and for bringing firewood down. It's easier to load and unload than the back of the pickup, but of course less maneuverable than just a pickup.

[Linked Image]

The saws are a 372XPG Husky and a Stihl MS170 that goes along as a spare. The axe collection is for splitting, limbing and what have you.

The arms that accompany me most often in the mountains are a Tikka T1X .22 and a Chiappa 92 Trapper in .357 Mag that comes along to deal with the vagaries of life.

Thanks again for the thread and for those who've shared their firewood photos as well, it's interesting to see and read how it's done in other places.

All the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

Nice pics. That's a LOT of work getting it off the hill. I'm glad I can leave that part of it to the professionals.

Here's how I get it on the property. That's about $1200 delivered, and will last four winters.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Luv this pic...........

but I'm a lazy fhuucck

Wood smells good burning.......but NG in the house for me

He was getting big, but didn't make it through last winter. His back legs got all buggered up, infected, and he went down. might have been rut injuries.

Here's a couple of pics before he went away.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Had a sick young buck in my field mid summer....

week later.....dead.......fuggin' coyotes killed him.......

Or just ate him after he died......

Hate them SOB's.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cutting wood is the only form of manual labor that I enjoy but you guys take it to another level. MM that ultra neat woodshed is a sign of OCD or well harnessed aggression grin cool locale. Thanks for posting

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I always look like a piker on there threads. Our stash of pine in Wabigoon.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Our woodburner.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I put in a woodstove for the folks about 16 years ago. I used to keep 5 years of wood split and stacked, about 15 cord. I would clear fence here on the farm and elsewhere. The farm was sold so I started getting loads of tie ends from the stella jones plant in Rockland. It is mostly oak scrap from making railroad ties. It cost 30$/ton which is a bargain and there is no bark on em and they stack great. I still split em , have a splitter but mostly split em by hand for the work out. I could not fell, skid and get firewood to the house from the woods as cheap as I can get this stuff. This year I traded out some concrete work for some farmers and they hauled me a couple of dump truck loads. Nice having a pile of oak before the snow flies!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MontanaMarine;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

We've got local logging contractors who will drop a load in one's yard as well. I was helping my neighbor with some of is that he got that way and like yours it was good, dry stuff.

As mentioned by other posters here, there's something very therapeutic for me in the firewood gathering process.

When we used to have horses, I was never satisfied until the hay shed was full with the annual load of bales we bought, the firewood bins were stacked full and there were a couple deer or a half a beef in the freezer.

Typically, I'll leave the wood at least 6 months and a year preferably with covers on the top, but in the wind to cure better and then I'll stack it into the storage areas on the side of the garage. This isn't full yet in the photo, I've added another layer on the outside of the right bin so they're 10-12" long chunks stacked 3 deep.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again to the others who've added their photos and thoughts, again it's interesting to me.

In closing, I'll say that's a really nice yard buck you had there sir. I always enjoy seeing wildlife in the yard - well today the yard bear was chasing a mulie heifer through the yard and I didn't appreciate that very much at all....

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I'm already bucking up logs for next year. Ive got three and a half full cord cut, split, stacked, and seasoned, ready for this winter. Mostly Cherry, Red Oak, and Silver Maple, with a half cord of Locust for those below zero nights.

Generally, two to three full cord get me through a winter, depending on the weather.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Great pictures everyone! MM, love the woodpile pictures with the wildlife.

lightman
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
nothing like burning good, dry hardwood...add a little white birch for fragrance, partial to the smell of maple burning, too

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great thread and pictures
It doesn’t get cold enough here to worry much about heating
How much is a cord?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
cut up some oak today.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by sse
nothing like burning good, dry hardwood...add a little white birch for fragrance, partial to the smell of maple burning, too

Maple happens to be my favorite. It gets burnt to take the chill off, as it doesn't seem to burn as hot as Cherry and Oak

Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Great thread and pictures
It doesn’t get cold enough here to worry much about heating
How much is a cord?

A 'Cord' around these parts is a stack of firewood four feet high, four feet deep, and eight foot long, consisting of three "face cord."

Last edited by J23; 10/24/20.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This is our 14th year since putting in a woodstove. I have my process worked out for me pretty well. Everybody does it different to some degree, but with the same objective. Tough to beat wood heat when it gets cold.

I buy logs, mostly beetle kill, by the truckload. One load lasts about four winters.

Here's a few pics from this summer/fall, working on the firewood.

Stacking it up,

Show your firewood pics if you want.

Shane

Shane,

does that get wet and frozen on the end, or do you tarp it?

Or throw them in the stove with one frozen end?

I usually tarp top and sides of my pile, and have to dig for dry wood if I get a leak.

I'm burning mostly Gambel (white) Oak. Start fires with Aspen or Ponderosa.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.