Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ballparking the total from the Corpus Christi HawkWatch today.

For once a major cold front came through on a weekend, strong north winds blew down scads of stuff, not just raptors.

Ordinarily I don’t get excited about vultures, but entire rivers and streams of them across the sky today, all day. Wasn’t squinting up at dots either, TV’s aren’t particularly high altitude birds, and they are so lightweight they can soar on almost anything.

Mixed in with the hoards were lots of Swainson’s hawks and northern harriers, species with wing loadings low enough they can hang with TV’s.

More than half a million broad-winged hawks counted over Corpus, mostly in late September. Several late juvenile broadies, these the birds that, just out of the nest, couldn’t make weight in time for the main push, they are prob’ly gonna have a rough time of it.

Afterwards I stopped in to see Roger, got to pet George. If you haven’t been up close and personal with a live grey fox you have no idea what they are like. More like one third fox, one third weasel and one third cat, as Rog said not like a dog at all, more like a cat.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
There was a grey fox that hung around a factory where I worked night shift. We would sit outside around some picnik tables at night during breaks and the fox would come up to get snacks from us. He wouldn't come right up to us. He would stop about 15' away and wait for us to toss him stuff to eat.

Management got all worried about it and set a box trap out to catch him. I don't know why. They were typical factory management control freaks.

One night everybody was leaving. Actually it wasn't night. We got off at 3 AM. One guy wrote "Fug you, signed The Fox" on an index card and left it in the box trap on his way out.

I don't know if they ever caught him. But he stopped coming around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie,

where do those vultures end up, do you know.

We saw a bunch around the town of San Ignacio in Baja in '97 or so. Seems the roost in the palms there around the springs. Go out to the lagoon to feed, saw them out there every day once we got out there. I would assume they are mostly West Coast birds though.

Looked like a horror movie setting every morning and evening with thousands coming in to roost or leaving.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds very cool, Birdie.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The hunt club I was in for a few years west of Waycross Georgia has a thousand or more vultures that winter in it. I shot a doe one morning across the creek. Since I was going to have to walk back through another members stand to retrieve the deer I let it be for about an hour. By the time I got to the deer the vultures had eaten three quarters of the deer. On cold a nights the vultures will huddle together on the ground in groups of over a hundred in protected small clearings. I walked into a bunch in the dark once and it was crazy with all the vultures beating wings to get up. They don’t all run for the border.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Live near a gravel pit. Theres a few around, all the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Birdie,

where do those vultures end up, do you know?

I looked it up on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology subscriber website “Birds of the World”.

The ones that leave the US in winter are mostly the northern and western populations. Indeed you could see the local vultures all day long, plainly not joining the migrating hordes which do not feed on migration.

They migrate to Guatemala and points south, lots in Venezuela and Colombia with a whole bunch wintering over the Amazon.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just courious about TV,there seems to be alot more of them than I remember as a yute.
Why or is there a change to the numbers? Ugly bastids...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Birdie,

where do those vultures end up, do you know?

I looked it up on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology subscriber website “Birds of the World”.

The ones that leave the US in winter are mostly the northern and western populations. Indeed you could see the local vultures all day long, plainly not joining the migrating hordes which do not feed on migration.

They migrate to Guatemala and points south, lots in Venezuela and Colombia with a whole bunch wintering over the Amazon.

Yeah, there's a big number that stay year round here. But I'm seeing more black vultures, more and more.

Neighbor rancher had to run off a big bunch of vultures that were attacking a cow and newborn calf a few days ago. Mama cow was fighting them off, but there were too many.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ain't no reason we can't legally shoot the damned things....same with Eagles hawks and owls

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
just courious about TV,there seems to be alot more of them than I remember as a yute.
Why or is there a change to the numbers? Ugly bastids...

The US stopped using DDT 50 years or so ago. Raptors of all kinds have flourished.

Spiders, too... I can remember thinking about it when I saw a spider on our porch as a kid. Pffft...
Now I clean gobs of webs around every window or night time light source.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Ain't no reason we can't legally shoot the damned things....same with Eagles hawks and owls

Well, other than the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — They’ll devour slimy newborn calves, full-grown ewes and lambs alive by pecking them to death.

First the eyes, then the tongue, then every last shred of flesh.

And there isn’t much defense against black vultures and turkey vultures, both of which are federally protected and cannot be killed without a permit.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 covers all migratory birds, their nests and their eggs, which means that the birds can’t be harmed without federal permission. Their nests can only be disrupted, as a deterrent, if there are no eggs or young in them.

But as the vultures, which are native to Kentucky, have multiplied in numbers nationally over the last two decades, they have become more of a problem for farmers. Each year, Kentucky farmers lose around $300,000 to $500,000 worth of livestock to these native vultures, according to Joe Cain, commodity division director for the Kentucky Farm Bureau.

It’s not just farm animals. Small pets may be at risk too.

https://apnews.com/article/e79711967910490db3368c1339545e47

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Like White Pelicans, Buzzards must be expanding their range.
I clearly remember seeing my first turkey vulture on the North Shore of Lake Superior in 1988–then 3 more in 1990 and now they are a common sighting everywhere along the North Shore.
I found one dead on a gravel beach on Bonner Bay and examined it—don’t know how or why it died but it was fairly fresh. I was suprised at how light the bird was—they don’t weigh much—considering how big they look in the air

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went sent all of our turkey vultures south a couple weeks back. Sounds like they made it.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There was a grey fox that hung around a factory where I worked night shift. We would sit outside around some picnik tables at night during breaks and the fox would come up to get snacks from us. He wouldn't come right up to us. He would stop about 15' away and wait for us to toss him stuff to eat.

Management got all worried about it and set a box trap out to catch him. I don't know why. They were typical factory management control freaks.

One night everybody was leaving. Actually it wasn't night. We got off at 3 AM. One guy wrote "Fug you, signed The Fox" on an index card and left it in the box trap on his way out.

I don't know if they ever caught him. But he stopped coming around.

He have a preference for Sardines, or Vienna Sausages?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
My uncle raised chickens. The "buzzards" would eat the chickens. So he nailed a board across a post about six feet high and put muskrat traps on the board. The buzzard (they were turkey vultures--no blacks in the North) landed on the horizontal board to check out the chickens. Trapped. Then he could beat the buzzards to death.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like Scott said, I think ours have left. We see as many as twenty at a time. They get as far nor North as NW Ontario,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Like Scott said, I think ours have left. We see as many as twenty at a time. They get as far nor North as NW Ontario,

Saw about 30 on one road killed armadillo yesterday.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If ya saw one with a red head he came from here. smile

Black Cows Matter!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.