Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
How many of you see guys puffing their chest out about how fast they butcher a deer, only to see them leave on the silver skin, grizzle, and tendons, then listen to them and everyone complain about their venison tasting gamey? Gotta take your time, De-bone it and get that stuff out. Once you do, it's heaven!

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree. Takes me a full day to do a deer start to clean up. I take my time and know my family will enjoy it months to come.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Call me crazy, but I don’t think silver skin ads much gamey taste. I leave it on my loin steaks. Last night I took a bite of nothing but silver skin and it had virtually no flavor. Lymph nodes or scent glands, on the other hand, now that’s another story.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In this area, it's the deer's rank fat that
carries the bad taste
That, and many get hair and glandular
secretions and urine and such on the
meat because they've never learned to
properly dress a deer.
Just as many don't do anything on their
own around here, and take them to a
processor and they have about a 50/50
chance of getting clean meat that was
properly kept clean and at a suitable
temperature. May even get some meat
from another person that rode around all
day with the guts inside.
Getting the skin off without getting contaminants
on the meat takes me more time than
anything else. After that, it's just minutes
to the freezer bags and the cooler

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I take pride in how SLOW I am at butchering a deer. Venison is something special and needs to be treated as such. Taught that from a very early age.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I worked up the doe I killed last week and it took me about 4 1/2 hours. All cleaned up to red meat only. Tastes very good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I do all my own wild protein & agree with everything posted !

To our family, game care, butchering, vacuum packing & eating are all part of the hunt.

YMMV, but it shouldn't !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been Hunting deer for 60 plus years, butcher my own and have never experienced what other people call gamey taste!

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed a deer last week. 30 min after getting home it was quartered and in the spare frig. Got up this morning and finished the job. Cut all the quarters into 1” chunks with nothing but lean meat left, no silver at all, no fat, no bloody spots. Loins got silver skin stripped off cut in half . Everything vacuum sealed. I started at 7:15 and was completely done in 1:45 and that included washing up my meat pans. Practice makes perfect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I killed a deer last week. 30 min after getting home it was quartered and in the spare frig. Got up this morning and finished the job. Cut all the quarters into 1” chunks with nothing but lean meat left, no silver at all, no fat, no bloody spots. Loins got silver skin stripped off cut in half . Everything vacuum sealed. I started at 7:15 and was completely done in 1:45 and that included washing up my meat pans. Practice makes perfect.

This is about the timeline I’m at. I’ve done around a hundred deer/elk/antelope and this is about as fast as I see me ever getting it done. I don’t know where I’d cut time other than cutting corners. I have a lot of people ask what I do to my deer to make them not taste gamey, though.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the worst are the "butchers" who freeze the whole hind quarter and then crosscut it on a bandsaw. a guy i know shoots several deer a year and his butcher does that. i hate it when he brings that schit to a cookout. gives deer meat a bad name.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got up this morning and finished the job. Cut all the quarters into 1” chunks with nothing but lean meat left, no silver at all, no fat, no bloody spots.

All? Lots of good steaks on the hind quarters. Simply separate the muscles and save the good steaks. Lots of Jerky meat too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the worst are the "butchers" who freeze the whole hind quarter and then crosscut it on a bandsaw

I remember when most everybody did this. I soon learned that deer bone marrow was not good for your meat. Bone it out and it will be better. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
As far as gaminess goes, I'm convinced that it has more to do with how fast the deer died. A deer that dies in 10 seconds is going to taste a lot better than a gut shot deer that took 3 hours to die. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. Just my 2 cents.

I've got a pretty good routine and technique that I've developed over the years to cut one up. I'm right at about 2 hours from start to finish. I don't generally mess with the rib meat or neck meat. If a shoulder is shot, it usually goes in the trash unless I can salvage some of it. Everything gets boned, separated and cleaned up with all of the silver schit off of the back straps and everything that I'm keeping gets vacuum packed. Most of the other stuff that I'm giving away or grinding goes in ziploc freezer bags. All of the lymph nodes and other crap is removed. I cut up about 10 deer per year if I don't donate them.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/30/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
In beef, they call that a red cutter, all that Adrenalin..

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In beef, they call that a red cutter, all that Adrenalin..

Yes, agreed. About 10 years ago on the last day of bow season, I gut shot this deer at last light. Thought it was a doe, but it turned out to be a small buck that had lost his horns. I tracked the deer in the dark and found him down in a gully laying in the creek still alive. They do that when they're gut shot. I couldn't get a shot on him, so I backed out and came back about 3 hours later. He had moved to a more manageable location and was still alive so I put an arrow in him. That meat was literally uneatable. I ended up throwing it all away. It was the worst venison I've ever eaten.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long as the hair is gone I don't have any issue with taste. We keep the fat and grind it just the same.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One nice thing about canning it, easy cutting.
Remove the heavy tendon, the heavy fat.
Chunk and can.
The fat renders and solidifies on top, to be easy skimmed off.
The silver skin and any intramuscler gristle cooks tender and disappears.

Grinding or cuts, we try to eliminate ever spec of silver or white.
A butcher friend tells mne we are too meticulous. That a little bit of fat
Or silver skin won't matter.
And I know he is right.
I'm not sure where the limit is, so we err on the cautious side.
Noticeable deer fat is down right nasty.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i'd love to process my own deer, except for the one problem about not having one...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I prefer not to cut my steaks into chunks but leave them whole maybe cut into one or two chunks. Cuts down on freezer burn, wrapping time, and easier not to over cook especially back loins. Due to the loss of a few fingers I am not sure what I will do if I shoot one

Last edited by Irving_D; 10/30/20.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 3,380 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.