Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen
My wife and I are one of those million who left CA for the greener (or whiter, if you prefer...I love snow and cold weather) pastures of Montana. Granted, we started our move about 3 years ago, but we finally made the move permanent this spring.

I totally understand why some are not happy to see Californians moving in and I share those concerns. We left CA because it had become an oppressive, tyrannical and unAmerican state. The last thing we want is for our new home to go down that same path and we vote accordingly in MT. I'm very worried as I see so many CA plates in town, but my theory was that at least for Bozeman, the influx of folks from CA, CO, WA and OR are more like us than the liberals who seem to dominate this city.

So I took a ride over to where all the new development is, west of downtown, to see if I could glean anything from yard signs.

In my part of town, there are three houses with Trump/Daines/Gianforte/Rosendale yard signs...mine, the neighbor across the street and a guy a few blocks over. Everyone else has straight (D) ticket signs. My suspicion was that the majority of newcomers from out of state would be far less liberal, and perhaps even conservative, due to the fact that they are escaping liberalism, riots, BLM crap, high taxes, over-regulation, etc.. I was very happy to see that (R) candidate signs predominated the new developments.

Whether this entirely unscientific study reflects reality is to be seen, but I am hopeful.

Bozeman is one of few places in MT that has turned Democrat due to immigration, places like Butte, Missoula, every rez, etc were always Democrat. 90% of the transplants I know are conservative. People like to blame Californians, but Montana has always been about 50/50. Truthfully, I doubt the recent immigration will move the needle.

But a word of advice, never tell anyone you’re from California. Just leave that chapter behind. Better to tell people here you just got out of the pen for being a homo rapist rather than your from California laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have friends and family in California.

I dont think they will be moving.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They are coming to Montana in droves. You can sell any house here at stupid ridiculous prices..instantly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
They are coming to Montana in droves. You can sell any house here at stupid ridiculous prices..instantly.

Thats the scuttlebutt around Redlodge. I guess it nuts down there.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Morewood
I am fully aware it is de rigueur on this forum to bash Californians but a friendly reminder; 39 million Californians voted for Trump in 2016.

That is more people than many of your entire home states population.

Carry on my wayward son.

Maybe you left out a decimal point somewhere? Otherwise I call bullchit. Only 39.5 million people in the entire state. No way 39 million Californians voted for Trump in 2016 According to Wiki, 8.8 million voted for Hillary. 4.4 million voted for Trump. Essentially 2 to 1 for the Hill Dog...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It looks as though a little over half of Montana residents were born here.

Thats crazy to me.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The crazy thing is, real estate is going nuts in CA also.
Granted, I do know that the SF Bay area has slowed dramatically, but most other places are pumping along. I think cheap money has a lot to do with the real estate boom. Although, I'm sure immigrants from Cali are accelerating the Montana/Idaho boom.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am fully aware it is de rigueur on this forum to bash Californians but a friendly reminder; 39 million Californians voted for Trump in 2016.

Carry on my wayward son.

39.5 million is the ENTIRE population of the state. I would imagine the Republican vote was slightly less.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Report I heard form Dick Morris. Since March, more than 1 million people have left California, most having incomes in excess of $100k/year.

That is a yuge portion of the state and local tax base. They are reported to be settling in TX, AZ, and NV in large numbers.

Will they remember why they left?
Not everybody in Cali is Leftist. Could they be the a majority of the 35% of the state's conservatives getting the hell out Dodge?

Hate to think they are ALL Dems polluting other states. Good news, their kids will become Texans!

Well, they changed Nevada from Red to Blue so that might answer your question.
They leave Cali to avoid taxes and high housing costs, not to become conservatives.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Carry on my wayward son.

Try 4.5 million. 39 million is the entire population of the state.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It looks as though a little over half of Montana residents were born here.

Thats crazy to me.

Our biggest export is our educated youth as they say. I grew up in Oregon and had several friends from Montana. Their families moved for economic reasons. As far as I know none moved back to Montana.

I think half of Oregonians are from some other state too. When I grew up it was a red state.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Backroads][quote=Remsen]That was a dang good guess as to which street I live on. Guilty as charged. It was a bargain, though, cause it's right next to a frat house and no one wanted a frat as neighbors. I happen to like them. First, they are Trump supporters. Second, they play good music and don't throw too many empties over our fence. Third, they bring sorority girls around. Nothing like drunk sorority girls to beautify a neighborhood.

No judgement, you seem alright for a transplant. Grin.

Bet your Dem neighbors were stoked when you rode your snow machine, lucky you were not arrested for contaminating their air!

Best thing about frats and sororities as immediate neighbors, you know they would never call the cops...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My wife and I are in Northern Arizona looking for a retirement home. They are coming here in droves according to the locals, and bringing all their home equity with them. I am hopeful that the people leaving are the conservative (smart) type and they will bring their politics with them. We'll see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
My wife and I are in Northern Arizona looking for a retirement home. They are coming here in droves according to the locals, and bringing all their home equity with them. I am hopeful that the people leaving are the conservative (smart) type and they will bring their politics with them. We'll see.

Hope springs eternal.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Backroads
[quote=Backroads][quote=Remsen]That was a dang good guess as to which street I live on. Guilty as charged. It was a bargain, though, cause it's right next to a frat house and no one wanted a frat as neighbors. I happen to like them. First, they are Trump supporters. Second, they play good music and don't throw too many empties over our fence. Third, they bring sorority girls around. Nothing like drunk sorority girls to beautify a neighborhood.

No judgement, you seem alright for a transplant. Grin.

Bet your Dem neighbors were stoked when you rode your snow machine, lucky you were not arrested for contaminating their air!

Best thing about frats and sororities as immediate neighbors, you know they would never call the cops...

You should have heard what my NYC-born/raised neighbor (who worked on the Obama campaigns) said when I put "Police Lives Matter" and "Jews Support Trump" bumper stickers on my truck, which already had the Montana "Don't Tread On Me" plates. This is a quote from right after the BLM riots started:

"You are so tone deaf."

To which I responded with a very long discussion of how her former boss should be hanging from my tree and how President Trump and the cops are the only things keeping us from descending into a third world chithole.

I haven't talked to her since, but her husband is now more friendly than ever. I suspect she's just an insufferable beyotch to everyone.

Last edited by Remsen; 10/26/20.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I cant imagine moving to Arizona....or even going there in the winter.

Unfathomable.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Anyway....is 100000 really considered "high" income in California?

Maybe in some California hillbilly area or something. Of which there are a lot of apparently.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Guessing several have already landed in WA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Carry on my wayward son.

Total population of California as of 2019 is 39.5 million.

In 2016:

8.7 million voted for Hillary

4.5 million voted for Trump

God Bless America
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyway....is 100000 really considered "high" income in California?

Maybe in some California hillbilly area or something. Of which there are a lot of apparently.

Not in the Bay Area or LA/SD metro areas. That salary is what a good secretary makes in SF (not including benefits or bonuses). $500k is probably the lower level of "high income" in the urban parts of CA.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,059
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.