Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

ranger1, you have very clearly described what I have been trying to advise others to, long before the Berger “cult” following occurred! When used on large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals......the shot placement must be placed with “near surgical” precision. Until a hunter will pass on many “less than perfect” shots or can guarantee that he can make that shot with “surgical precision”.... these bullets should “not” be used for the above described big game! JMO. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is definitely just your opinion...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
It is definitely just your opinion...

👍🏻👍🏻

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by memtb

ranger1, you have very clearly described what I have been trying to advise others to, long before the Berger “cult” following occurred! When used on large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals......the shot placement must be placed with “near surgical” precision. Until a hunter will pass on many “less than perfect” shots or can guarantee that he can make that shot with “surgical precision”.... these bullets should “not” be used for the above described big game! JMO. memtb

You have zero experience, but a strong opinion....do you think that is an intelligent way to interact with the world? Do you think zero experience but a strong opinion is a formula worth sharing? Or have you found some religious tenets and are preaching?

Sigh.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Ah, bull crap. Go shoot something with em and then report back.

Last edited by atse; 08/18/20.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You do know elk are not "thick skinned", right?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I have seen a schit load of Bergers hit elk shoulders and never ever seen a failure to perform.

I have seen one 105gr 6mm VLD pencil on an elk that went between ribs. Elk was recovered a couple hours later and the location and performance was documented.

Hence my preference to grab some bone on the way in with the 105 VLD but that seems to have been a one off kinda thing.

But your hallucination is duly noted.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I! I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion! However, they’re are hundreds of cases that suggest that I am correct. They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter. Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/18/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I! I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion! However, they’re are hundreds of cases that suggest that I am correct. They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter. Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Get out a bit more old man. If you were worth a [bleep] you'd realize irrefutable is a silly word to use. Things have changed since the 80's.

You need to realize that there is more to hunting than your obviously very limited bubble.

You'll be better for it...

Field and Stream magazine may hate you for it however...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like Berger bullets for target shooting and after all these facts hell i plan on using them this fall hunting whitetail bucks with my son in our 257 W.Mags. i bet they work just fine too 115 grain 25 caliber.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
just got in some of the newish 30 cal 220 Hybrids. Should do well in the PRC. Just got a load for the 230’s after much procrastination, now I’ll start over again. It’s great

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pete53
I like Berger bullets for target shooting and after all these facts hell i plan on using them this fall hunting whitetail bucks with my son in our 257 W.Mags. i bet they work just fine too 115 grain 25 caliber.

Bold

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I!

I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion!

So are you stating "Irrefutable facts" or just your "opinon"? crazy

They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter.

To be fair the VLD was not designed as a hunting bullet. Bob Davies was, and Walt Berger still is a friend and we have had many bullet design discussions over the years.

The fact that the VLD excels as a hunting bullet is happenstance and not any part of the original design parameters.

Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Thanks.

I do find those that shoot with surgical precision tend to have much better results than those that throw bullets will nilly about the country side.

Just Sayin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed 3 bull elk and one mule deer with my 7mm RM shooting 168 Berger's HVLD's at 2929 fps (489, 366, 500 and 314 yards). All died fairly quickly, the 489 bull was the only elk that had an exit hole, he also ran the furthest (50 yards). I've killed two bull elk with my 6.5 GAP 4S shooting the 156 Berger at 2850 fps (150 and 250 yards), both DRT. Neither bullet exited. I'm convinced they not only work, they work well!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
Mule Deer, John Burns, et al - I have used the 30 caliber 168 grain VLD, the .338 caliber 300 grain Berger VLD and 285 grain ELD-M on several different elk. Do they kill them? Sure. With that said, they don't penetrate terribly well. I shot a cow with the 300 grain Berger at roughly 350 yards. Hit her in the shoulder and it didn't penetrate to her vitals. I shot a big bull in the spine as it grazed below me with the 168 grain Bergers. Shooting from above onto his spine, it took out a roughly 6" section of the spine and failed to penetrate further. I shot a wounded cow as it ran away, straight up the poop chute with the 285 grain ELD-M at about 200 yards. It penetrated 4-6". There are better bullets out there for elk. I love a bullet that expands violently on deer, antelope, and bear. They just haven't worked as well for me on elk. As always, and as per usual, YMMV.

It is reports like this that keep me from using Berger or other thin-skinned bullets for hunting, just as inconsistent or poor results on coyotes and antelope kept me from using the original Barnes X bullets on big game. Subsequent reports failure to expand with the Barnes TSX kept me from using them as well, even though the ones I tried were very accurate in my rifles.

While I recognize that many people are happy with Berger bullets and that they often work just fine, I want bullets that provide reliable but controlled and limited expansion with high weight retention for deep penetration. I’ve driven tipped Barnes bullets lengthwise through mule deer and a North Fork the length of a mule deer but without the exit. My hunting group has never recovered a tipped Barnes bullet and we’ve been using them since the MRX was introduced around 2005. It took me over 20 years to recover a Speer Grand Slam and that bullet penetrated through and destroyed both shoulder joints of a 6x5 bull elk. A second Grand Slam was recovered in 2015 after I tool a bull elk at 411 yards, quartering away. That bullet was against the hide on the far side. I’ve recovered only three North Fork bullets in the 18 years I’ve been using them. (They are no longer available but I still have hundreds in 7mm, .30 and .45 caliber.) Two destroyed a section of leg bone and rib on entrance and a section of rib on the far side. The other was the one that went the length of a mule deer with no exit. My group has never recovered an AccuBond, either, and we’ve been using them since they were introduced in 2003.

These days I use cup-and-core bullets in just four big game legal rifles – Marlins in .30-30 and .375 Winchester, a Browning .44 Mag carbine and my .243 Win. The .243 gets a 95g SST, which has worked fine on antelope. I would not consider using that combo on mulies or elk.

Others can use what they want with no objection from me. That said, I don’t and won’t recommend thin-skinned bullets for big game when more robust bullets have proven very effective and reliable with no reports I’m aware of involving bullet blow-ups or shallow penetration.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A few on game performances of 6 mm 105 gr Berger hybrids from 243 at 3000 fps. My 10 year old son killed a 171" 5 year old mule deer in its bed at 2 60 yds. It was facing away from us, the shot was prone. The bullet entered just behind the shoulders breaking the spine as it did so. The bullet then went the full distance of the chest cavity destroying the lungs in the process.#2 My wife shot a 3 year old white tail buck squarely in the chest at 80 yds as it was looking at us. The deer dropped in its tracks. I got over 24" of bullet penetration. # 3 I deliberately shot a mature white tail doe quartering away at 350 yds. After destroying her lungs the bullet broke the off shoulder, and was laying against the hide. She ran about 60 yds and piled up. A 380yd shot on an antelope with the shot hitting behind the shoulders left an exit wound about the size of a golf ball. This is one of the few exits I've had. I prefer the bullet not exit, leaving all of the energy inside the critter. As stated, there are a lot of good bullets out there. Find the one you like, and that shoots well in your rifle, and then don't over think it.But I think it safe to say that Bergers will perform well on game too.Note, We have killed a pile more critters with this bullet, not just the ones mentioned. I have not had any " blow up yet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On this site, over the years, I believe I`ve read about hunting "failures" with every bullet ever made. Placed correctly, they`ve all "worked". Which brings up the point "not the arrow, but the Indian".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
On this site, over the years, I believe I`ve read about hunting "failures" with every bullet ever made. Placed correctly, they`ve all "worked". Which brings up the point "not the arrow, but the Indian".

Exactly.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ryoushi

i read the once in a life time bull moose,i was not impressed with his wounding of a big bull moose at 400 yards = it was not the Berger bullet it was the shooter who shot at the bull .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not the arrow, but the indian? What numbskull uses frangible bullets on large animals?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.