-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice places y'all. Thanks for sharing the pics.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I love getting wood...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
OOps..Screwed the pooch on that last post..LOL

And my favorite helper..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great pics Logcutter. I can tell you are a serious Firewood Man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

This my #3 back up Wood Pile. All my wood piles were full, but in June a giant black walnut keeled over down in the meadow. What makes this good firewood?
#1 Close by. Only had to drive one mile to get to the tree.
#2 Close to the road. You could drive the pickup right up to the tree. If the wood has to be carried 50 feet up a steep hill, Forget It.
#3 Decent firewood. Black walnut is not as good as oak or locust but it is pretty good. About 21 million BTU in a cord.

All three of my big firewood piles were full but I couldn't stand it. I figured someone else would get down there and cut up the big black walnut. I got my big ladder out and laid it in the yard, and I brought up 2 1/2 Nissan truck loads of the black walnut. Looks like chocolate to me I want to go out and take a bite of it.
This pile is 14 feet long and 4 feet high.

Daisy likes the wood stove.

anyway to have made a gun stock out of the BW before you sawed it up? don't think our walnut gets that big in AZ, we might get some handgun grips, or model 94 stocks!

Last edited by Sycamore; 10/25/20.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sycamore do you want me to ship you some black walnut? I have a 17 inch diameter trunk that is 60 inches long.
That big piece would be costly to ship but it would make a lot of gun stocks.
I will cut you anything you want out of that and ship it if you will pay.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by logcutter
OOps..Screwed the pooch on that last post..LOL

And my favorite helper..

Nice work!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What variety of tree is the firewood?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the idea of wood heat, but it isn’t possible without modifications to my home. All of my HVAC equipment has draft requirements for operation. Fixed venting would be required to keep furnace and water heater running. The draft required for wood stove would shoot the pressurized interior design in the foot.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice pics, and very nice stacks... And you're so right when you said it's "tough to beat wood heat"! Nice job sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Down here in Texas, I’m still cutting and splitting firewood. Got about a half cord to go. It’ll be oak, since our place has a lot of it. Compared to some of you serious guys with 4 or 5 cords, I feel like a lightweight.

No shortage of oak trees to cut, which is good news and bad news. The bad news is that a huge old oak fell in a wet stormy couple of weeks we had. It fell on another big oak, which fell on another big oak, which fell on my fence. It’s a ginormous pile of oak trunks and limbs, which is the good news, sorta.

And, as I age, I notice that my old Stihl 029 is putting on weight.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes I cut blowdown fir, it is usually standing dead trees. I just spent 4 days sawing up the same tree and got 6 cords out of a big fir.

395 husqvarna is what I use for sawing, great saw.
This is one of my trucks, there is about 1-1/2 cords on here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You lads are SERIOUS about this, I'm impressed! down here in the swamp we have woods about 200 yards from my house with plenty of deadfall oaks, etc. I just cut what I need then split and we do burn quite a bit but given our warm weather it's not much. Now at our place up in PA, we DO use quite a bit (again not as much as you guys because we are not up there year round), but i do have a gas operated splitter and we go through about a cord/year.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
We heated with wood exclusively for about twenty years, then, about ten years ago, I bought a small pellet stove at an auction and I'll often burn a ton of pellets each year in addition to the wood. The pellet stove is good for when we are gone all day or for when it's just not cold enough to start a fire.
To those who ask why we burn pine: we burn pine because that's what we have. Lodgepole pine is the most common wood here and is killed by pine beetles at a pretty good rate. Deluxe wood is larch but dead standing trees are becoming rare. Red fir is decent wood and some like it better than pine. I've been watching one big larch for the last five years but it bounced back last year with more foliage than ever. I'll probably die first! Ponderosa Pine is pitchy, produces a lot of creosote and burns hot and fast. Good for staring a fire but not good for constant use.
My present stove and 24 ft. chimney have been in place since 1995 and the chimney has been swept... Never! I let the stove burn wide open for the first half hour each day and I never damp it right down and let it smolder. The chimney stays clean.
The pellet stove is vented into the side of the wood stove and, when the pellet stove is running, the wood stove is too warm to leave your hand on so there is some heat claimed which would otherwise have been vented out. In addition, if I fill the stove with wood, when I shut down the pellet stove, that wood is hot, super dry, and lights up like it was soaked in diesel.
This year, I had a couple of dead larches I had to take down in the campground and a few more scattered around the property. In addition, the beetles have killed of a dozen pines up on the hill behind the house and I've set the Cat up so I can winch them down to where I can cut them up and throw them in the truck. Once in a while, I'll see a tree which is worth driving ten miles to cut but mostly, I have enough right here. We probably burn about three cords a year to heat out small log home. GD

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have timber buyers that I do business have their loggers set aside oak in 6-8 foot lengths for me. When a logging truck is not around, I'll back up into their slot and the loader operator will pick up my oak with his grapple and set it down in my truck bed. When it's a little over truck bed height, I'll pull off and strap it down for the ride home. Pull it off my pickup onto the ground at home and it's ready to be bucked up into stove lengths. Generally I'll stack it in the round under a shelter and split it later when some checking has developed across the grain. Larger rounds I'll leave where I bucked them until the checking develops, then split into manageable sizes. I'm fortunate to have ready access to free wood. Three to five pickup loads a year keeps me topped off, especially with the mild winters we've been having lately.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Burned firewood my whole life, or when didn’t myself was around it growing up in my house and in Boy Scouts. Used it for heat and back up heat for last 30 plus years. Only time I did not have a stove or fireplace was when I was in school and lived in an apartment.

For storage I have used all sorts of methods to keep dry in wet months. Usually a combo of some sort of tarps; never looked pretty, but did the job. After a big 2019 snow storm here that made my elevated tarp structure seem inefficient, I decided I needed to build a proper woodshed. Even though the wood was kept dry ( in the snow storm) I knew I needed, or wanted to finally build what I always told myself I would do some day. So, I got to it and built this in spring of 2019.

It is 12’x16’ with inside post dimensions around 10’x15’. I had to put it on blocks because digging holes to set them in concrete would have been a major deal with all the tree roots around. Plus this way I could lift up the whole thing and move it if I ever wanted to. Inside this shed I usually stack the wood 6’ high. It holds just over 7 cords if packed. This pic was taken after putting up some wood the other day and there is right around 3.5 cords in there. We usually go through about 2.5 cords a year with the house, and camp wood; and fire pit wood. Our heat pump works pretty efficiently, so do not need to burn wood all the time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wanted the wood shed to look halfway decent to look ok on our property with our house that I built in 2005.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Burn wood - mostly Doug fir and madrone; and other hardwoods in this Travis industries ( same company that makes the Lopi’s that I used for years) fireplace insert. In this house I wanted a certain look for the fireplace, so went for a traditional looking fireplace as opposed to a freestanding model:

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Also, I finally got around to building a more permanent fire pit in summer of 2019.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have a lot of madrone trees up at the family cabin. Makes great firewood IMHO.
Our little woodshed holds maybe 4 cords. Darn near burned to the ground in a forest fire last month.
This isn't mine, it's the mad inventor across the street. Thought y'all might get a kick out of his woodsplitter.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.