Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Last Saturday I shot a Coues buck 405 yards across a deep canyon. The only workable position I could find was with my heels dug in to keep from sliding downhill and my torso curled around a washtub-sized rock. Finally I set my pack horizontal on the rock to get enough elevation. My right elbow was in the gravel behind the boulder. The slope approached 100%, and my muzzle elevation was about 30%. It was like nothing I had ever seen in those books about shooting, but it worked. I'm thinking about calling it the Candycane Prone position.
What's the oddest position you've ever shot from?

(Perverts need not respond.)

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I see you anticipated the crowd around here. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a buck in Texas back in the early 90’s. And he came out to my extreme left. I had my back against the back of the stand and couldn’t get on him by shouldering my rifle the way I normally did (I shoot long guns left handed and use my left eye). So I had to shoot him by shouldering the gun right handed and using my right eye. He was my biggest whitetail...he went 163 and some change.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
Last Saturday I shot a Coues buck 405 yards across a deep canyon. The only workable position I could find was with my heels dug in to keep from sliding downhill and my torso curled around a washtub-sized rock. Finally I set my pack horizontal on the rock to get enough elevation. My right elbow was in the gravel behind the boulder. The slope approached 100%, and my muzzle elevation was about 30%. It was like nothing I had ever seen in those books about shooting, but it worked. I'm thinking about calling it the Candycane Prone position.

(Perverts need not respond.)

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
behind the grassy knoll , i was drunk.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much the same position without the boulder. I was shooting down a steep hill at a caribou in Alaska.

Harry
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Climbing down from a 'built' treestand.
Basically from the hip mid climb, about 5 yards, doe went another 5[maybe from the 50 cal mz boolit & blast]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The slope approached 100%,

what kind of slope is that and who are you calling weirdos

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crockettinaz

Sitting,... while shooting downward, offhand, at running targets, while hanging out of a door on a moving helicopter.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I missed a deer at 50 yards offhand by shooting w my head up my azz.

2nd shot ( and head removed from azz ) dumped him.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
US Army, basic training. Sitting, all tied so tight I could not do anting but squese the trigger. My best position.

To much belly to do that now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The Kama Shootra position.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The Kama Shootra position.

Chortle!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, the second best was wedging my left arm crosswise betwen two birches to use as a rest for the .260 on a cow elk @150 yards out, using one-hand hold on the rifle. Bang, flop.

The best was moose hunting. I heard wolves howl, then shortly thereafter a cow and calf came busting out into the meadow just below my stand up on a small ridge. They went out to the end of a wedge of brush, looked back up the meadow, then backtracked to where they had come out of the brush and continued that line, no doubt headed for a lake 800 or so yards behind me.

Shortly thereafter a black wolf whisked across the meadow about 200 yards away, going left to right (trying to flank the moose). 30 seconds later another black wolf came out on the mooses' trail and followed it to the point of brush and lost the trail. It backtracked a bit and cut across without finding the " continued" moose trail. (They do make mistakes!) I'd bet money there was at least one more wolf trying to flank the moose on the other side if they tried to turn either left or right.

By this time I was trying to get on it with the .338. I was up on my right foot, left foot off the ground, contorted around to the left, trying to shoot around the spruce right in front of me. Only chance I had.

Not a field position I had practiced!

I missed. Then had to laugh.

Last edited by las; 10/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitting down. Butt severely puckered.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
While laying on back, in low grass, feet on my side of a recurves riser and upper limd slightly elevated to keep the arrow down on the Bear Hair rest.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Layin’ on my back and shooting at geese flyin’ overhead is awkward too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We knew bull Tahr were coming out each evening across the river. We got there early and knew the shot would be up at a steep angle so we spent about an hour building a rock shooting bench. Was not at all awkward but was strange to spend so much time on a shooting position. Ended up shooting two bulls, longest at 535 yds.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers
I shot a buck in Texas back in the early 90’s. And he came out to my extreme left. I had my back against the back of the stand and couldn’t get on him by shouldering my rifle the way I normally did (I shoot long guns left handed and use my left eye). So I had to shoot him by shouldering the gun right handed and using my right eye. He was my biggest whitetail...he went 163 and some change.

Yup, wrong handed, offhand, out of a pop up blind !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My wife and I were seated, looking down a steep hill, the elk was about 100 yards away walking uphill toward us....my wife was gonna shoot it, but had a small conifer between she and the elk. Elk smelled us, rapidly departing, angling to elk’s right and about to put the conifer between it and I. I fell over to my left side, rifle held “gangsta style”....touching off a round at the small circular target. The elk continued downhill for about 50 yards, and piled-up. The bullet entered just left (elks left), of the target zone, shattered the pelvis, continued forward thru the diaphragm, the left lung (just inside the rib cage), exited the elk’s left foreleg pit (armpit?), reentered the upper leg, continued thru the upper leg muscle, coming to a stop while “bulging” the hide on the forward side of upper leg! The Barnes X Bullet, lost one petal, while encountering heavy bone, penetrating a small bull elk end to end, complete with 3 hide penetrations. I got my elk, and the bullet brand I would continue to use for many years! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.