Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pete53
no my Remington 700/338 was not inside it was in the cold but the weather was very miserable rain and snow coming down ,below freezing weather, we were up high in the mountains ,8 inches of snow on the ground ,i was on a mule, just above the tree line in the mountains, rifle was in a leather rifle scabbard with no cover, back of bolt was all froze up and would not fire. was not a good time for rifles to be froze up , because momma grizzly came out 60 feet from me with her cubs but she ran the other way, you should have heard my mule scream, we were 10 miles from camp about 10 am that day. that was a learning experience on bolt , rifle freeze up care and prevention in the future for me.when we got back home from that hunt a old Marine/Alaskan who killed plenty bears explained to me how to keep that from ever happening again with a bolt rifle.

What was his reco?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
BLR Browning rifles mine have worked for my son and i with no problems, i do think people who have problems with any gun brand or type are most of the time just a idiot , even at a trap range using a simple shotgun some people just seem to screw that shotgun up. some people just don`t know how to care for a gun,chain saw even a knife, so that`s when a gun or even a cartridge can get a bad name. in the replies what has been said make your choice live with the outcome , but if i am on a expensive guided hunt what the guide wants me to do or use i will.

I can promise you that you or your son dont spend even a fraction of the time I do in the bush. In an average year I will be out more than 6 months; always in a wilderness environment and a rifle in hand daily. I know guns and how to take care of them. The BLR is fine for a weekend hunter, its a very poor choice if you are out in remote areas and rely on it. Just to complicated. The failure to fire issue is well documented, even among weekend hunters. Some BLRs never seem to have the problem, but some certainly do.

Mainer talked about dumping his canoe and how his mauser was full of silt by the time he got things sorted out. He was able to take that gun apart and have it cleaned up and ready to go in minutes. Try that with a BLR. Mainer uses a BLR at times too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
BLR Browning rifles mine have worked for my son and i with no problems, i do think people who have problems with any gun brand or type are most of the time just a idiot , even at a trap range using a simple shotgun some people just seem to screw that shotgun up. some people just don`t know how to care for a gun,chain saw even a knife, so that`s when a gun or even a cartridge can get a bad name. in the replies what has been said make your choice live with the outcome , but if i am on a expensive guided hunt what the guide wants me to do or use i will.

I can promise you that you or your son dont spend even a fraction of the time I do in the bush. In an average year I will be out more than 6 months; always in a wilderness environment and a rifle in hand daily. I know guns and how to take care of them. The BLR is fine for a weekend hunter, its a very poor choice if you are out in remote areas and rely on it. Just to complicated. The failure to fire issue is well documented, even among weekend hunters. Some BLRs never seem to have the problem, but some certainly do.

Mainer talked about dumping his canoe and how his mauser was full of silt by the time he got things sorted out. He was able to take that gun apart and have it cleaned up and ready to go in minutes. Try that with a BLR. Mainer uses a BLR at times too.

Yup. The BLR is the Humpty Dumpty rifle. Designed by the one and only Rube Goldberg.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I love the BLR for some hunts. It is a bit finnicky. My 358 Win BLR has a short throat and handloads from my Savage 99 were too long. I jammed a bullet into the lands realized I would have pressure issues and so jacked open the action. The bullet staid in the lands and the powder dumped all over the inside of the action. (I KNOW THIS WAS A DUMB MOVE ALL AROUND!!!!!)

Point is it took me hours to pick all the grains out of the action so that the rack and pinion would work. If it gets dirty it wont work. The Savage 99 and Winchester 71 will.

On the plus side I have never had the cold weather failure to fire if I keep it degreased. It is accurate and my son loves it. Very smooth and easy to use. Probably not the 1 rifle for the Zombie Apocolypse though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve also very cleverly performed this same trick 😉...but I was not going to push a cleaning rod down the barrel and tap on a live cartridge, even if seemingly on the wrong end. IIRC, recently, there was a kaboom and wrecked rifle posted here related to that maneuver.

Better to spend time cleaning up powder rather than picking up pieces. 👍

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would love to hunt the great bears with my original '71 in 348, 250gr Alaska Bullet Works Kodiaks or Woodleigh Weldcores would certainly do the job, as would the Turnbull '86 Winchester in 50-110 WCF, 700gr cast lead flat nosed bullets would completely penetrate the biggest bear from any angle, 200 yard hunting with either is simple, however, they're pretty nice rifles, plus, with the cost of a hunt, unknown weather/lighting/shooting conditions, I'd most likely take a cerakote/syn stocked VZ-24 98 Mauser in 416 Taylor, 400gr partitions would do the work guided by a 1.5-5 leupold.

As long as i'm wishing, In a perfect world and weather conditions, two quick shots from a 303 British double rifle delivering a couple 215gr Weldcores through a bear would be a be all end all hunt of a lifetime for me. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
I would love to hunt the great bears with my original '71 in 348, 250gr Alaska Bullet Works Kodiaks or Woodleigh Weldcores would certainly do the job, as would the Turnbull '86 Winchester in 50-110 WCF, 700gr cast lead flat nosed bullets would completely penetrate the biggest bear from any angle, 200 yard hunting with either is simple, however, they're pretty nice rifles, plus, with the cost of a hunt, unknown weather/lighting/shooting conditions, I'd most likely take a cerakote/syn stocked VZ-24 98 Mauser in 416 Taylor, 400gr partitions would do the work guided by a 1.5-5 leupold.

As long as i'm wishing, In a perfect world and weather conditions, two quick shots from a 303 British double rifle delivering a couple 215gr Weldcores through a bear would be a be all end all hunt of a lifetime for me. smile

Gunner, there is a video floating around of Jeff Rahn, the African PH on a Kodiak bear hunt using his double Holland in 300 H&H Flanged. Yours is also in the uber-kool list! That said, I agree with you on the realities of the weather up there. When I go, it'll be my 340 Weatherby Weathermark with a Zeiss 3X9 and 225gr TTSXs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, Thanks for the tip Jorge, i'll try to find it, that 340 WBY is a perfect all game cartridge afaic.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I really like my Winchester 1886 Extra lite, my model 71 348 win and 348 Ackley, and 94' 30-30 but they are very complex compared to my Marlins, Ruger 77, and Mausers. It would be unthinkable for me to attempt a field stripdown on a winchester levergun packed with silt and debris. I can do it on Marlin, Ruger 77, and Mauser 98 type bolt actions. Im not so certain about the Savage 99 though, as i just dont know it and the mechanics that well? Maybe i just need more tine with the winchesters?

Being a lefty its just difficult to beat that Ruger 338RCM carbine and my Ruger scout rifle and one of my stainless Marlins. 308 win and 30-30 is common ammo and ive got plenty of 338rcm put back. The big thing is i can easily strip these down without much issue. To me thats a very big plus to that Mauser 98 pattern rifle in its strengths and super simple and tooless bolt takedown.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I really like my Winchester 1886 Extra lite, my model 71 348 win and 348 Ackley, and 94' 30-30 but they are very complex compared to my Marlins, Ruger 77, and Mausers. It would be unthinkable for me to attempt a field stripdown on a winchester levergun packed with silt and debris. I can do it on Marlin, Ruger 77, and Mauser 98 type bolt actions. Im not so certain about the Savage 99 though, as i just dont know it and the mechanics that well? Maybe i just need more tine with the winchesters?

Being a lefty its just difficult to beat that Ruger 338RCM carbine and my Ruger scout rifle and one of my stainless Marlins. 308 win and 30-30 is common ammo and ive got plenty of 338rcm put back. The big thing is i can easily strip these down without much issue. To me thats a very big plus to that Mauser 98 pattern rifle in its strengths and super simple and tooless bolt takedown.

Couldnt agree more. I have the same guns you do with the exception of the 348. The Marlins are so easy to strip down that it really makes them a great choice. I do love my 86 extra light too though. The Savage 99 is a great rifle and they are well built and simple. I dont carry mine much because I dont want to beat it up, but I wouldn't hesitate to trust it in bad conditions. Wish they would start making them again!

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.