Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’m curious how much shooting you folks do with your hunting rifles and if you are able to maintain accuracy during repetitive shooting sessions? My accuracy really seems to fall off after 20 to 25rds or so with my larger hunting calibers like 30/06. Is this the case with other folks? I reach a point that I literally know I have to put it down and get up from the shooting bench and walk away ... because all I’m doing is wasting ammo after that point. Is this normal? I even try to slow things down and kill a little more time between shots but it never seems to fail that my accuracy starts fading. Always interested in what others are doing and experiencing.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It very well might be the rifle, some go to hell when they get hot

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I suspect that it is a couple of things

#1 - recoil is starting to wear on you after that many repetitive shots. We all like to think that we can tolerate XX ft-lbs of recoil but recoil does add up, especially when bench shooting.

#2 - mental discipline. It is difficult to keep the frame of mind that each shot needs to be "the best shot". I shot competition for many years and the hardest part of any shooting discipline is the mental part. It is difficult to learn to not think about the last shot and what went wrong, it requires a great deal of focus to give total attention to the shot you are preparing to make. There is a reason that shooting competitions are known as disciplines.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m similar, good for 20 or so rounds at a sitting! At 40 or greater ft/lbs recoil......20 to 25 rounds is generally my accuracy limit. Though, I need to wait 2 to 3 days before another extended shooting session. The shoulder is tender, and the groups are about double that of the day one shooting session! With the smaller cartridges, extended shooting sessions seems to be a non-issue! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/25/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
I suspect that it is a couple of things

#1 - recoil is starting to wear on you after that many repetitive shots. We all like to think that we can tolerate XX ft-lbs of recoil but recoil does add up, especially when bench shooting.

#2 - mental discipline. It is difficult to keep the frame of mind that each shot needs to be "the best shot". I shot competition for many years and the hardest part of any shooting discipline is the mental part. It is difficult to learn to not think about the last shot and what went wrong, it requires a great deal of focus to give total attention to the shot you are preparing to make. There is a reason that shooting competitions are known as disciplines.

drover

I think you're spot-on.

Many rifles used in tactical competition or sniper challenges go 500-800 rounds before accuracy suffers due to fouling.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 30-06 for “bench shooting” and a 30-06 for “hunting” are two different animals.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The only time I do repetitive shooting is in wringing out a rifle or load. Done and done.

In a good year with a rife that has previously been rung out, with known accuracy and POI, sometimes I get by with as little as 3 rounds. Does 3 count as repetitive? Assuming I even get to #2....

Take it out of storage, check things out, run a patch or two thru the barrel.

If the first round goes where it is supposed to, we go hunting. 2nd round drops an animal. 3rd round is the insurance round. In a good year. It doesn't always work like that..... smile

Clean and put away.

If I'm wringing out a rifle and /or load, I generally limit myself to no more than 15 rounds per day. Less if I can get away with it. Skipping a day doesn't hurt either. I don't want to get into the "causes flinching" arena, especially with one that has significant recoil, and as said above, concentration starts going south.

Last edited by las; 10/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

las, remarkably similar to my story. I think that I fired 6 rounds a couple of weeks ago, the most I’ve shot to verify zero in quite a few years! Quite a while back, I developed a load that I was satisfied with, a few shots during the year, and several just prior to hunting! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll shoot fifty rounds in an afternoon for recreation.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I talked to a guy one time that said his 300 win mag was "dead on" and he could shoot 2 boxes of "shells" and not have a sore shoulder.... cool.

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I’m curious how much shooting you folks do with your hunting rifles and if you are able to maintain accuracy during repetitive shooting sessions? My accuracy really seems to fall off after 20 to 25rds or so with my larger hunting calibers like 30/06. Is this the case with other folks? I reach a point that I literally know I have to put it down and get up from the shooting bench and walk away ... because all I’m doing is wasting ammo after that point. Is this normal? I even try to slow things down and kill a little more time between shots but it never seems to fail that my accuracy starts fading. Always interested in what others are doing and experiencing.

IMHO this is normal. there is a certain amount of fatigue in shooting, even if you are not particularly recoil sensitive. 20-25 rounds with a hunting rifle will take its toll. There is also the mental aspect of staying concentrated on task. Also part of fatigue IMHO.
There are also issues with barrel heat and fouling etc that can also affect accuracy when so many shots are fired close together.

This repeated firing is unnecessary. All your shots on any game are always done with a cold barrel. Think about it. I like to sight my guns in as normal at a range, and then just prior to hunting I fire one shot to see if my point of aim stays true. If it is on point, I'm done sighting in for the trip. My next shot will be on an animal, and it will be from the same cold barrel.
Taking up varmint hunting has honed my hunting skills like no other thing I do. These are small targets, and breathing and trigger control as well as learning how to hold a rifle steady are the same skills used with large game. But without the recoil and associated problems. Great practice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

After a couple of hours my eyes begin to 'fatigue' for lack of a better word.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll shoot fifty rounds in an afternoon for recreation.

I'll shoot 300 sometimes with my AR's. 50 with the 06 is doable. The other day I shot 30 out of my 300WBY while working up a load. If a guys accuracy is degrading after a box of ammo, I'd say stop there and maybe pick up something with less recoil to shoot and practice with. I'd say it sounds like the OP is experiencing fatigue, due to age or physical restraints of some sorts. Also, if a guys rifle is shooting like chidt after 20 or 30 rounds down the tube, something may be wrong with said rifle. Especially when most here are talking about shooting 3 shot groups. If you can't consistently put 3 shots into less than an inch, something is drastically wrong with rifle, load, skill...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Could be the rifle heats up and shifts POI. Could be the loose nut behind the trigger needs adjustment. Pretty hard to troubleshoot over the internet.

Shoot a group, put it away for a bit, shoot other guns, clean one, etc. then shoot another group. Try shooting low recoil in between. You might try some rim fire bench groups right after the larger hunting gun to evaluate yourself. You may find you're still good but the gun is shifting. Just as possible is you've become the X factor.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you hammering away at a bench trying to shoot tiny groups, or are you shooting from field positions practicing for hunting?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by K1500
Are you hammering away at a bench trying to shoot tiny groups, or are you shooting from field positions practicing for hunting?

Depends on the day.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by K1500

Depends on the day.

Bench is good for rifle accuracy, field positions tells the shooter how tight the nut behind the trigger is.

(Take that either way..... smile. )

Field can and should be practiced without firing a live round, then "proof tested" with live fire. I do it that way.

Sometimes..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Point being, a gun or shooter opening up from 3/4” to 1 1/4” on the bench is noticeable. Opening up from 3 1/2” to 4” when shooting from a field position is less noticeable.

Last edited by K1500; 10/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
[

Same here. I did quite a bit of shooting with 4 different rimfires a few days ago. The longer I went, the harder it was to get a good sight picture.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by skeen

It's called age.

I know this..........My eyes will begin to "unfocus" after a while. Over the course of a morning I can tell I begin to struggle more with my 2-7 scopes than with scopes of higher magnification.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.