C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like my K-22; sweet little rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Very cool. My first thought was they were taking over the plant Remington left in Huntsville.

Great to have them move to AL........and to hear that they're expanding the mag box in the 84M to 3" and the 7-08 twist to 1/8!.......Well, great to hear they're moving to AL anyhow.........

This is good news.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was a Kimber master dealer for a couple of decades because they sold well and guys wanted them. They made some fine looking firearms but 80% of all the ones we sold would NOT reliably feed anything but ball. Guys didn’t appreciate dropping a grand or more on a pistol that needed to be sent back for feed ramp work. I forget the ass wipe that was the head gunsmith but he finally got canned. I finally got tired of selling new pistols that had to be sent back so that they’d work properly and quit selling Kimbers. There wasn’t much margin...I think 12% and the extra time dealing with the problems and shipping just didn’t make it worthwhile. I never would’ve carried one after seeing the shear number of failures that were inexcusable for a semi-custom pistol. Tight tolerances might make a pistol accurate but those same tight tolerances made them very susceptible to failures. Having literally sold thousands of Kimbers I’m comfortable saying that they were overpriced crap. We had to place larger orders $25,000+ each year and just because they cashed the check didn’t mean that you were going to get what you ordered anytime soon. It could take months to get certain offerings that were supposed to ship upon payment.

Not every pistol was crap but enough were to convince me that the extra trouble for us was not worth it. People get caught up in name and appearance but are willing to overlook unreliability in a firearm that they trust their life with. In comparison we were also a Glock stocking dealer and of the thousands of Glocks we sold I never a single one back. They fed everything reliably and a guy could’ve bought 2 or 3 or 4 new Glocks for the price of a single unreliable Kimber.

I’m not putting down anyone’s choice of pistol, merely relating my experience with thousands of their pistols.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And now, what remains to be seen will be if they just take the higher profit margin from doing business in a more "friendly" State and continue building guns as they have, or do they use the extra money saved to institute new mfg methods or quality controls and pass any savings on to the buyers of their products.

Any bets as to which way this will go?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Having spent a good chunk of my life in the Wiregrass region, it will be interesting to see what kind of quality they put out.

Last time I listened to the Dothan Saturday morning AM radio farm show, it was the Wiregrass "Ay-re-ah". My ex's family from Coffee County all say it the same way. Good country, good folks. They know that nothing fixes an old rusty gun or tractor like Marvel Mystery Oil.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hank, Kid Rock, now Kimber. Troy is big time. I live in the area too. grin

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
If this keeps happening there will be a serf rebellion in the north east. It would seem certain that these companies aren't being replaced by new or better companies.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Sportsmen for Biden

That phrase is some sort of sick joke. I can't imagine any gun owner voting for those two (Joe and the Ho) firearm loathing clowns.

Last edited by J23; 10/27/20.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J23
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Sportsmen for Biden

That phrase is some sort of sick joke. I can't imagine any gun owner voting for those two (Joe and the Ho) firearm loathing clowns.

......... I was kind of shocked at seeing that... "Sportsmen for Biden" ????? Now there's an oxymoron. My only thought was, YGBFKM.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I was a Kimber master dealer for a couple of decades

What timeframe? Kimber went really bad during the time they had external extractor guns.

I never would’ve carried one after seeing the shear number of failures that were inexcusable for a semi-custom pistol. Tight tolerances might make a pistol accurate but those same tight tolerances made them very susceptible to failures.

I want to say that I am far from a Kimber fanboi, but I'm going to take a different view after being a gunsmith for more than 15 years & handling a lot of Kimbers..........but surely not the thousands (really?) that you claim to have sold.

Kimbers are not a semi custom pistol...........they have lots of models & with a very, very few exceptions, the guns are just put together from common parts, definitely not semi custom vs say, a Dan Wesson.

And they are not overly tight in anywhere that matters in spite of their telling lots of customers that they need to fire 500 rounds to break the gun in. That is complete BS.

Their problems mostly stemmed from simple fixes that would never have occurred in a true semi custom built by knowledgeable gunsmith level people, not just production hacks.

And bad magazines. I cannot say that LOUD enough..............bad magazines.

Having literally sold thousands of Kimbers I’m comfortable saying that they were overpriced crap. We had to place larger orders $25,000+ each year and just because they cashed the check didn’t mean that you were going to get what you ordered anytime soon. It could take months to get certain offerings that were supposed to ship upon payment.

I can understand that from a business perspective, for sure. But given the number of guns that they built, they weren't, taken on the whole, overpriced crap.................there were just many small things that needed to be tweaked & done better in assembly.

I've never seen a one come across my bench that wasn't easily fixed, but I have seen a few reliable reports of major parts being bad, like slides & frames

Not every pistol was crap but enough were to convince me that the extra trouble for us was not worth it. People get caught up in name and appearance but are willing to overlook unreliability in a firearm that they trust their life with.

Yes, many people believed the Kimber propaganda................Kimber was never a "premium" or high end 1911, IMO, but basically OK. I personally have 2 currently & both are 100% after a basic going over & defeating the FPS's. I carry them & would bet my life on either, with Tripp magazines.

I’m not putting down anyone’s choice of pistol, merely relating my experience with thousands of their pistols

Yes, you are.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Lower cost of living. Lower taxes. No Yankees.

I can honestly say I have never in my lifetime heard anyone ever say "Damn Honey lets move to Alabama" it will be great ! smile

Thousands of Texans moved here after the spill. They came over to work the spill, took a good look around and never left. Then they started telling former neighbors and friends who are still joining them.

Those Kimber folks will discover the coast as well. With what amounts to a daily commute in NY, they can be on the Florida or Alabama coast.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I question some of Kimber's decisions.

Getting into the revolver market wasn't a good idea in my opinion. Especially since the revolver they're making is fairly clunky looking and has an MSRP of $900.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bbq and winning football had to be the lure that brought kimber south. If the savings results in a reasonably priced 1911 that'll work I can guarantee the wiregrass will be covered up with them.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
If the savings results in a reasonably priced 1911

At what price do you consider a good, production, U.S. built, 1911, reasonable?

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AKduck
Good. The interactions I’ve had with the Troy people have been hands down better than my prior Kimber CS interactions.

My few interactions with Montana, Alabama, and Troy/Yonkers was equally horrible and I just had a barrel set-back and rechambered because it was way out of spec. It made a trip to NY and a trip to Alabama without the first capable move on the part of the Kimber morons.

What about Spattermatic's stock? Where did it make trips to? What happened to the customer service regarding it and the moron he had to deal with?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My experience with Kimber 1911's was when the NY models first started appearing. After digging into one pretty deep I decided that I was through fitting extended safeties, beavertails, dovetailed sights, lowering ejection ports, yada, yada, yada into Colts & Springfield's.. I bought a matched pair of Kimber ...... & took my Colts & a few Springfield's to the next gun show.
I still have the pair & treasure them. The mechanics, fit, accuracy, & dependability blew me away at the price point. Later, I bought a commander length, custom shop gun, & while it never gave me any problems, I just didn't like it & sent it on.

I've read all the Kimber bashing over the years & never understood, but hadn't bought many of the later ones so couldn't judge.. But, so much of the bashing I've heard was over MIM. Likely, IMO, by folks that know about as much about MIM as I do about brain surgery. I've yet to see a photo of a bucket, or even a handful of broken MIM Kimber parts from the hundred thousand round a month training facilities around the country. Where are all the so called broken Kimber parts?

I wish them luck Or just plain success in their new location.

Internet wise, I'm Remington, S&W, Kimber & Glock lucky. Ruger unlucky. Odd, as I was a huge Ruger fan early on, & for years afterward. Did expectations play a role??

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AKduck
Good. The interactions I’ve had with the Troy people have been hands down better than my prior Kimber CS interactions.

My few interactions with Montana, Alabama, and Troy/Yonkers was equally horrible and I just had a barrel set-back and rechambered because it was way out of spec. It made a trip to NY and a trip to Alabama without the first capable move on the part of the Kimber morons.

What about Spattermatic's stock? Where did it make trips to? What happened to the customer service regarding it and the moron he had to deal with?

Huh. You “signed up” here in 2020.
Yet, you seem to know a number of things that a newby wouldn’t. What’s your other identity on here, sockpuppet?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunzo
My experience with Kimber 1911's was when the NY models first started appearing. After digging into one pretty deep I decided that I was through fitting extended safeties, beavertails, dovetailed sights, lowering ejection ports, yada, yada, yada into Colts & Springfield's.. I bought a matched pair of Kimber ...... & took my Colts & a few Springfield's to the next gun show.
I still have the pair & treasure them. The mechanics, fit, accuracy, & dependability blew me away at the price point. Later, I bought a commander length, custom shop gun, & while it never gave me any problems, I just didn't like it & sent it on.

I've read all the Kimber bashing over the years & never understood, but hadn't bought many of the later ones so couldn't judge.. But, so much of the bashing I've heard was over MIM. Likely, IMO, by folks that know about as much about MIM as I do about brain surgery. I've yet to see a photo of a bucket, or even a handful of broken MIM Kimber parts from the hundred thousand round a month training facilities around the country. Where are all the so called broken Kimber parts?

I wish them luck Or just plain success in their new location.

Internet wise, I'm Remington, S&W, Kimber & Glock lucky. Ruger unlucky. Odd, as I was a huge Ruger fan early on, & for years afterward. Did expectations play a role??

MIM is cost cutting. Perfect for a 400 dollar pistol not a 1k+ pistol.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Eric308
You decry your employees for wishing to work less but earn more, but you want them to work more and earn less, correct? There has got to be a counterbalance to the excesses of unrestrained Capitalism and a strong Union presence is one of the best ways to achieve that balance. My Father was Union then Company, I've seen the excesses of both. You are right, there was never a majority Union workforce, but in the 50's, 60's, and 70's when Union membership was high, non-Union employers had to keep pace. The direct correlation between declining working class standards of living and a steep decline in Union membership cannot be denied.
You are correct! That's why, every time we start a "retirement plan" thread on here, most of the responses are "I don't have anything saved. I have to work until the day I die" or something similar.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.