Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Had one when I was a kid, we used to hunt rabbits along the rail road tracks in upstate NY, in knee deep snow banks at times.
I’ll never forget coming around the hedge row, and seeing him face down in the snow with the shotgun sticking up like a fence post.

One of the more contemporary hunting partners couldn’t shoot a deer for his life, after 3 years of swapping stands so he could finally shoot one I decided to walk
Him to the stand to see what he was doing wrong, because I shot a deer out of all the stands..
I got to watch him eat sunflower seeds and spit them on the ground on the way to the stand, along with just spitting... ARGGGHH ! Nothing worse that spitting when deer hunting..
Goofball shot a deer for the first time in many years that day- he’d never hunted anything but bean fields so it wasn’t a problem before.

Friends are fun no matter if they take stuff or not - don’t get men started on fishing !!

Huh..

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/28/20.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah I was probably that kid. And every time I'm in the woods I thank good Lord they let me tag along with them. My buddy Jesse and his dad would always allow me to come along. I loved hunting but my dad didn't. Jim and Jesse dragged me to their cabin, their deer hunting spot (which I still hunt), grouse hunting, fishing... all of it.

About 10 years ago at a family party at their house I looked him in the eye, shook his hand and let him know he's a HUGE reason I have the passion for the woods and the water that I do. He had tears in his eyes and said he had no idea it had that effect on me. Well, it did.

I still can't hunt worth a crap and shoot about average. But out of sheer stubbornness I get a deer every now and again.

So, take those awkward kids in the woods with you.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good post, Tzone. Good on you for letting them know what it meant to you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by tzone
Yeah I was probably that kid. And every time I'm in the woods I thank good Lord they let me tag along with them. My buddy Jesse and his dad would always allow me to come along. I loved hunting but my dad didn't. Jim and Jesse dragged me to their cabin, their deer hunting spot (which I still hunt), grouse hunting, fishing... all of it.

About 10 years ago at a family party at their house I looked him in the eye, shook his hand and let him know he's a HUGE reason I have the passion for the woods and the water that I do. He had tears in his eyes and said he had no idea it had that effect on me. Well, it did.

I still can't hunt worth a crap and shoot about average. But out of sheer stubbornness I get a deer every now and again.

Glad you had the opportunity to hunt w good people, and to let them know how much you appreciated it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a buddy like that! He can't hunt or shoot worth a darn. He was one 5 star drinking buddy! Some things you got to overlook!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got that friend. Best man at my wedding, good friend for years, hunt deer together every year. Cant shoot, oblivious to his surroundings, noisy. It wouldn't be the same without him. I saw him miss a deer at 30 feet. He did hit it with the second shot but still.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My dumbass hunting buddies who can’t hunt or shoot for beans claim I’m that guy. Told one that we should compare man cave walls sometime. LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
it is good to have guys who cant hunt good cause they can drive deer

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m glad that there are people like you out there.....or I’d have never had anyone to take me hunting! crazy memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

We all need someone to say "you count", you are a "part of us", you are "with us", you "belong", you "matter", and we are "taking you with us", because "we want you" to be "a part of us", you "mean something to us". "Belonging" is one of the most awesome feelings in the world, and it has given hope, happiness, contentment,and a sense pride to countless people since the beginning of time I am sure.

Miss Lynn

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It's not about wanting to be kind and compassionate to someone who never gets to hunt or fish, it's about inviting that special someone to drag the stubborn packhorse named Butch along, laden with the tent and the campstove! That and we always peed ourselves watching Butch take off running after yanking the lead rope out of the newbie of the day's hands! grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a buddy - deaf, loud, makes lot's of noise getting where he's going - can't even shut a truck door quietly.
Disabled vet - can't breathe, stumbles around, talks too loud.
I still try to get him out to the ranch to call coyotes - whenever we can pull it off.
And I will, as long as he's able to get out, and about!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well said Miss Lynn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Well said Miss Lynn.

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

We all need someone to say "you count", you are a "part of us", you are "with us", you "belong", you "matter", and we are "taking you with us", because "we want you" to be "a part of us", you "mean something to us". "Belonging" is one of the most awesome feelings in the world, and it has given hope, happiness, contentment,and a sense pride to countless people since the beginning of time I am sure.

Miss Lynn

Bravo, that came from your heart.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The hardest to endure is a terrible fisherman with you in a boat. When hunting, you can at least split up and let them do their thing on another ridge, but in a boat, you're trapped! I had a family member that wanted to try fishing in the 70s during the first big "Bass Masters" craze. He spent most of the time hung in trees and dropping stuff. Luckily, he went on to other hobbies, and I encouraged it!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

Miss Lynn

Bravo, that came from your heart.
Miss Lynn always speaks from the heart - there is never a misunderstanding of her thoughts. She tells you - flat out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Some of my most memorable hunts are with those guys ... and everyone asks about how they did..
Just part of the family I guess.

One of the best ones (I forgot this one)

A buddy and I hunted deer, and during a lunch break I had to run into town - but he decided that he’d take a nap in front of the hunting cabin on a bench... all Good.
When I drove back in to the property, to the cabin, there was a Flock of 40-50 turkey all over the front yard with my buddy sleeping right in the middle of them !!!
I floored the truck as I was coming down the hill and started honking the horn - Turkeys flying every where, my buddy popping up ducking flying birds...

Damn that was funny

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/28/20.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One of the neighbors was guiding for elk, a while back (archery hunt)
Got a picture, on his cell, of a hunter diddling with his phone - elk ~ 20 yards behind him - watching ! laugh laugh laugh

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can’t thank enough the folks who took this green horn out and taught him the ropes. Lost my dad as a young kid (8) and wanted nothing more than to do the outdoors thing. When I got older and expressed my desire to hunt I was fortunate that a family took me on as a project.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.