Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have never owned anything Winchester. Once a long time ago, I did handle a consignment lever action 30-30 at the LGS, and when i worked the action, the cartridge lifting tray broke in half!!! That turned me off to anything Winchester.

Fast forward to today:

I am considering buying a new production M70 Super Grade, which comes with the MOA Trigger. So, what is the real deal on this trigger? Is it good to go, a dog, or something in between? Is it even possible for a smith to fit a new production rifle with the old school pre-64 M70 trigger?

thanks in advance.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I spent an afternoon shooting my son's M70 FWT the other day. It's the only MOA trigger I've ever tried.
It's a good, crisp trigger, and other than being about a pound heavier (about 3 1/2 lbs.) than what I'm used to I really liked it.

Last edited by MickeyD; 10/28/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you hate it a Timney will fit right in. I don’t like it as much as the older trigger but it’s plenty serviceable. The rifles are pretty danged good and I’m a P64 nut.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by beretzs
If you hate it a Timney will fit right in.

Went this route and the Timney trigger ever worse - it has a flat trigger shoe. None of my other Timney's (M77 MK-II & M700) have this objectionable trigger shoe.

I went back to the MOA.

YMMV

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The old trigger doesn't fit the new rifles.

I've owned 2 rifles with the MOA trigger. They weren't horrible, better than Remington factory triggers IMHO, but not great. One got an Ernie the Gunsmith spring replacement. It was solidly in the "good" column afterwards. The other .. we'll see. I might do that, got a couple on hand already, but I might look at Trigger Tech. Not meaning to start a fight, but I just don't like Timney triggers very much. IMHO a lot of money for a marginal improvement. I'll happily spend more money, but I want a lot more improvement per dollar.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

The MOA trigger is somewhere in between a dog and a decent trigger. I have a 2010 AMN(prefix) M70 Sporter and the trigger breaks at a crisp 3.5 lbs and is fairly consistent in pull weight. My buddies a have few later produced M70s and their triggers are inconsistent, much heavier pull weights, 4-5.5 lbs.

That said, I like mine but have an Ernie's spring here that I will install with the hopes of reducing my pull weight to 2.5 lbs. We'll see how it goes if I have some time over the weekend to get it installed and measured. I believe MCARBO makes a spring kit for the MOA trigger which also helps reduce pull weight.

SD

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M
The old trigger doesn't fit the new rifles.

I've owned 2 rifles with the MOA trigger. They weren't horrible, better than Remington factory triggers IMHO, but not great. One got an Ernie the Gunsmith spring replacement. It was solidly in the "good" column afterwards. The other .. we'll see. I might do that, got a couple on hand already, but I might look at Trigger Tech. Not meaning to start a fight, but I just don't like Timney triggers very much. IMHO a lot of money for a marginal improvement. I'll happily spend more money, but I want a lot more improvement per dollar.

Tom

AFAIK, Trigger Tech has yet to release a model 70 trigger. There have been rumors of such, but nothing confirmed. The minute they do, every MOA Winchester I have, will wear one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience with he MOA trigger has all been positive, at least as far as the pull goes. I have two Models 70s with them now, an O]Connor Commemorative Featherweight .270 (which I "won" at the annual fundraiser auction at the O'Connor Hunting Heritage Center in Lewiston, Idaho in 2014), and a Portuguese-assembled .300 WSM, purchased new at Capital Sports & Western Wear in 2016. Both have very crisp pulls, the .270's trigger breaking around 3-1/2 pounds and the .300's at 2-3/4 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 FN Made very Crisp but heavy. 5 3/4 pounds. The adjustment is a joke! Even with spring all the way out the trigger pull weight did not change. I think you guys in USA call this the Lawyer's trigger. Took it a gunsmith and he replaced the springs now breaks just on 3lb and very crisp. Just came across another Super Grade in 280 Rem - Made in Portugal. Trigger is much lighter out of the box but have not measured pull weight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I installed a Timney in my Model 70 ,new one with moa , and love it....Set aT 2.5#s..Gave away moa ....Easy to install.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's nothing wrong with the MOA. Guys that waste their money on the Timney or any other box trigger are making a total lateral move: Replacing one box trigger with another. All the MOA needs is the erniethegunsmith trigger spring put it it and that takes a few minutes to do. Of the 10 or so MOA's I've done this to, the pull weight has been nicely reduced to around 2.5 pounds (2 3/8-2 3/4). The main gripe about the MOA comes from die hard model 70 guys and that is understandable. Browning should have left the oldstyle trigger alone, but they felt they needed to have their own spin on things when it came to the new model 70. They touted this as the new and improved model 70 with a new designed trigger. Most of us were just glad they were bringing the model 70 back from the dead.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Had one with the MOA trigger and it was very good.

Just can’t understand why the dropped a simple easy to maintain trigger for a box of tricks!

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What year did the M70 transition away from the old school pre-64 trigger? When New Haven closed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
There's nothing wrong with the MOA. Guys that waste their money on the Timney or any other box trigger are making a total lateral move: Replacing one box trigger with another. All the MOA needs is the erniethegunsmith trigger spring put it it and that takes a few minutes to do. Of the 10 or so MOA's I've done this to, the pull weight has been nicely reduced to around 2.5 pounds (2 3/8-2 3/4). The main gripe about the MOA comes from die hard model 70 guys and that is understandable. Browning should have left the oldstyle trigger alone, but they felt they needed to have their own spin on things when it came to the new model 70. They touted this as the new and improved model 70 with a new designed trigger. Most of us were just glad they were bringing the model 70 back from the dead.

Agree 100%. My only experience is on my SC FWT. The trigger was good but too heavy. Got the Ernie the Gunsmith springs and it is right where it should be for a hunting rifle (2 1/2). It is my LR hunting rig and I have consistently made shots on steel to 1000 yards.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I couldn't adjust my MOA trigger to a satisfactory level so I replaced it with a Timney.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very happy with my 3 MOA triggers. IME they are better than the old M70 triggers out of the box. (Once the old ones are tuned by a good smith, they are wonderful.)

As for being more complex and susceptible to freezing up in cold weather. if the weather is that cold and nasty, I'll probably still be in bed, or, worse case: take one of my old M70s! cool

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dogger
What year did the M70 transition away from the old school pre-64 trigger? When New Haven closed?

Correct; 2008. The BACOs can be readily identified by the 2 digit/ three letter start to the serial #, e.g. 35AMP (2008).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree with BSA. I've put Ernie's springs in three MOA triggers, and been pleased with the results. One of the best triggers in my gun safe is an MOA with an Ernie spring. The other two MOAs are not bad at all, just not as good as that particular one.

Overall I like the new Model 70 a lot. I can understand the preferences for the New Haven rifles, though. I don't care for the post-64 pushfeeds. It's just a YMMV or "to each his own" proposition in every way.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.