-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started 3rd world contracting after the military, mostly warzones, remote sites, mining doing logistics, security and operations management. Its love/hate for most of us. I dont mind the environments, main stress for me is always having to look for new jobs. Its an unstable industry, a lot of your downtime is spent requalifying certificates or getting new ones in different countries to be attractive to the next employer. We say its like being a 'B-list actor'- okay pay, travel, but you never know whether you get the next gig. Covid has really slowed everything down anyway. Not sure how much of our job type will exist in this 'new normal' they are rolling out..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the job I've had since July 1,2019, the day I retired. Best job I ever had!

Last edited by DouginAlaska; 10/28/20.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
M
MMM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Not much satisfaction or fulfillment any more in what I do. I do love the work, but it's how much of it I have to do that ruins it for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do I love my work? No. Does it serve the world, yes. I've had a hand in feeding more humans than a lot of people

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I loved pouring concrete for so many years. Loved the workout, loved not being too long on any one project, loved working outdoors in the high country. I augmented my summer job with working for outfitters, ski patrol, and volunteering on SAR. These days, my mind tells me I can still work the trenches with the youngsters, my body tells me otherwise. Old injuries do not go away, they get better with age! Am now looking for something to survive on while I stay on the farm looking after Ma and family next door......I miss the high country and am blessed I did many things at a young age!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These educated and often rich people at graduations always like that trite
advice for the kids.

"Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life."
Boy that sounds profound.

My Dad, a hard worker did 35 years at the same factory I work in.
It treated him well, he knew it and appreciated it.

That said, he had an original piece of advice that came from his observations
throughout a working blue collar life.

"Anything you do for a living, becomes a job."

He never graduated HS. Or got a GED.
Noone ever ask him to speak publicly.

But he was smart enough to know that no matter how much you enjoy
what you do, when you have to do it day after day, it will lose it's appeal.
Not that you have to hate it, but...It becomes a job.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I also enjoy what I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At age 42 I quit a job I hated and payed poorly and went back to school for another trade. Not an easy task with two young girls and a wife that stayed home but I stuck with it and it worked out.

Just turned 60 and can retire if I want to but have a job that pays well and that I enjoy doing. Maybe 2 more years so I can pay for another moose hunt in NL. This move has been a huge blessing to our family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like most I like parts of it. I've been with a really good company for 21 years and we've done well by each other. I shifted customer sets a year and a half ago from an intel agency to cyber defense with fed health care and it's sucked a lot of fun from the job.

I work with highly qualified (and pleasant) people in the company who are trying to do the right thing. The frustrating part is the gov customer that is simply incompetent. Not only incompetent but I have never seen more petty, backstabbing and incompetent federal grade 15 employees. At the past customer there were issues, since if there weren't they wouldn't have hired us to help, but there was a teamwork and common vision that really built great teams and accomplished some amazing stuff for the country. The fed team I work with now is simply going to ignore us, screw it up and blame us.

Looking back on my careers, the Navy was great but when I shifted to the reserves (98-07) it was hard. Same squadron, same jet but having a full time job and flying in the reserves left zero time for anything else. 5 recalls to active duty and deployments and two drill weekends a month plus lots of other 3-6 day dets over 9 years left me spent. I was glad I spent the 20 but I don't think I could have done more.

So at age 56 there are a couple more years in me until retirement. Moving north will give us a whole new world to explore and set a firm line between the world I've worked for so long and the rest of our lives. I visited my parents in Fl last week. In their 80's, and retired for almost 25 years, they are busy and happy. I hope we can follow them in that path, at least we're going to try!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I love my work.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Worked in the timber and tree removal industry until I got married at 30 years old. Loved the work but wanted to start a family and put down some roots. Working in the woods was kind of a gypsy life, plus had a good friend killed doing it. Had a kid on a climbing crew I was running get electrocuted as well. Been a structural fireman for the last 25 years, eligible to retire soon. Loved the fire service, but I feel it is my time to go. Got a good crew that I work with, but the politics are unbearable. Going to miss some of the guys, love the fires, the teamwork, training hard, developing and trying new ideas. Being there for the public. Unfortunately those of us who share those values no longer fit in within the department. I feel bad for the guys that I will leave behind on the job. Retirement spooks me but I got a small forestry business doing removals, thinning and fuels abatement. Love doing it! Got a great wife that works hard with me, house is paid off, and a decent retirement if I decide to go.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
no. these days its tolerable. in the past it has been dreadful. but the pay and bennies are great. i will not miss it when i retire and will most likely do something totally different on a part time basis. i wish i had a job i liked.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My boss is a good guy. I like and enjoy my trades, but the [bleep] kid I'm stuck with for a "helper" is damned near worthless.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I love my work, and work my love as a project sales manager in the sustainable solutions business unit of a Fortune 100 company. Some days are better than others, of course. But all-in-all, it's a hoot!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Started a new journey in IT at age 37 with a wife and a new daughter. Never looked back. Love my job and until recently the company I work for. Diversity BS has made this position untenable as of late. Retirement can't get here fast enough and I will p!ss on my HR Director's desk the day I leave.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like what I do, but do not like who I work for. Great pay and benefits, but my supervisor is out of touch with reality.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I did for years. Been working in the public eye almost all of my life. My father was in local politics so I’ve had to hold my tongue to keep from offending someone since H.S. I learned a long time ago I’m not a politician. The restaurant business may not be the highest paying career but it has been enjoyable. I have helped many employees make it through college and move on to great careers. My greatest satisfaction is having parents of my employees tell me “thanks for giving my child a job and teaching them good work ethic”. Now with all of the snowflakes and political rhetoric it’s not as satisfying as it used to be.
I’m seriously looking to change careers and get out of the public eye.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.