Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious if anyone here is doing this? I have been considering trying this over the past couple years. Just think it might be a good decision to help me with my red meat addiction and might be somewhat healthier compared to other meats, especially compared to commercial processed beef and such. I’m just looking for thoughts on advantages or disadvantages to trying this. I love eating venison and it seems like it would be easy transition for me to make.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We put about 6 deer a year in the freezers. Makes it to where the only beef we need to buy is a steak sometimes. I want one about 3 times a month. We eat a lot of ground venison, as well as roasts and whole cuts. Generally prefer it to grocery store beef.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We eat only deer and elk for red meat with the exception of a good beef steak about four times per year. My wife and I have been married for fourteen years and only one year did we accept a half a beef from my parents who try to gift us that every year for Christmas. We are very fortunate to have a hunting party that shares so even the years I get don’t get one we get elk meat, likewise we never get a whole elk on years when I am successful

I feel very fortunate.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've come close on years that I got elk. I usually cut my deer burger with beef to make it go further.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
When I was younger, we did it out of necessity. Fortunately I can shoot 6 deer on my license, and did most years.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as I have venison I eat very little other red meat. I contribute Part my substantial weight loss to eating venison and fish. Not much beef , lamb or pork or poultry.
Last year I was only able to get a small doe and it went pretty fast. After it was gone I bought more red meat and more chicken. My weight loss was a lot tougher.
Good news is this year looks like my health will be good and I will fill the freezer up with venison.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We don't "only" eat venison, but the majority of the red meat we eat is venison. It's not out of an avoidance of beef, just that we stack the freezer and use the venison in most everything we cook.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here, between the wife and me and the kids we put up a lot of meat in the fall. When our rifle season opens here in a couple of weeks we'll have 8 tags between us to fill and we've got an elk or two coming up as well. We maybe buy a package of beef once in a blue moon, but it's rare. When we eat at restaurants it's usually beef then too i guess. But when we're coming at home it's deer, elk, buffalo and walleye the majority of the time, we do like chicken too but don't raise our own right now but hope to again.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not only.... but mostly venison & fish (not red meat).

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I estimate in the order of 80% venison - We buy 2 locally raised lambs & 1 pig per year.

A metric $hit ton of walleye & our own eggs. Have a local source for home farm, free range chickens, buy about 6-8 10lb birds per year.

Commercial is only chicken breast or thighs & the occasional steak or prime rib roast.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first beef steak my son ever had was when he went into the army. Raised both my children on wholesome deer meat with a lot of wild pig mixed in and good red wild turkey meat. We still eat mostly deer and hog. Butcher our own grind our own sausage. Make it a family project every year. It is the best meat money can't buy.😊

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Haven't ate pork, beef or chicken in years. Seafood, turkey, and whatever wild game I can get my hands on are my protein sources.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We buy very little red meat. Venison takes care of most of our needs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll buy ribeye, rib roast, same thing maybe a tenderloin for holidays other than that, it’s elk meat year round. Buck meat gets given away or sausages, kielbasa’s, or pepperoni.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't say I only consume venison. But it's certainly the majority. Between dad and me we usually do 6 or more deer a year. Usually something else as well every year since 16. Hogs, elk, antelope etc.

I do order steaks and burgers etc when going out to eat though.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the kids were at home, I put 5 or 6 deer per year in the freezer. We hardly ever bought beef. Now that they are grown-n-gone, it only takes 2 or 3 for the wife and I.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd say about 85 percent version, some beef and pork, chicken and turkey. Fish when I can get it.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer would be the lions share. Wife buys lots of chicken and some pork. Beef steak for special occasions.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I put all my deer into hamburger.. so yep.

I haven’t bought ground meat for almost 8 years now.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve given up on beef, pork and chicken. Meat from any slaughter house is junk. Wild fish and game only for me. But I get most of my fat and protein from plant-based foods. I’m 65, I exercise 4 times a week and might be in the best shape of my life. Its 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Mackey

Mackey
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.