Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’m not a fan. I like to put my thumb over the bolt and under the scope with my fingers around the belly of the stock just ahead of the trigger guard. That doesn’t work with picatinny rails and detachable magazines. Plus, I know I would invariably leave a mag at home at some point.

Those are just preferences and I can see some advantages to detachable magazines. Though, I do suspect that there are going to be lots and lots of single shot rifles in the future as cheap plastic mags wear out, break down, and get lost for all these budget rifles being made nowadays by every manufacturer under the sun.

Easy peasy to cut a picatinny and make it a 2 piece with room for your thumb

Then it is basically a Weaver mount and not a Picatinny rail.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

"Easy peasy to cut a picatinny and make it a 2 piece with room for your thumb."

Or buy Burris's steel, 2-piece "mini-Picatainnys."

But that evidently would still make some members whine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Forgot to mention that some companies make rifles with detachable magazines designed to be loaded from the top as well--such as the DTB on my Mauser M18 7mm Remington magnum--which fits flush with the bottom of the stock, and also (unlike most non-detachable magnum magazines) holds 5 rounds. It also feeds VERY well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For got to mention that some companies make rifles with detachable magazines designed to be loaded from the top as well--such as the DTB on my Mauser M18 7mm Remington magnum--which fits flush with the bottom of the stock, and also (unlike most non-detachable magnum magazines) holds 5 rounds. It also feed s VERY well.

The Beretta Mato has a detachable box magazine that fits flush

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp,

"Easy peasy to cut a picatinny and make it a 2 piece with room for your thumb."

Or buy Burris's steel, 2-piece "mini-Picatainnys."

But that evidently would still make some members whine.

+1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of the inexpensive rifles made today use detachable mags for some good reasons. Most all of them have closed top actions which are proving to be more accurate. Using a detachable mag is the only practical way to get rounds into the chamber. Also not having to work around an internal box magazine, (floor plate or blind) makes it easier to achieve good accuracy. Not that great accuracy can't be achieved with traditional rifles, but it is easier, and cheaper to make it happen with closed top actions and detachable magazines.

I'll be honest, it took me a while to come around to detachable mags. But my Tikka's and Ruger American Predators shoot better than rifles costing 2X or 3X as much. I've decided I can live with them. And it has nothing to do with more rounds or faster reloads. My magazines hold only 3-5 rounds and I don't carry any more rounds into the field than I do when using a rifle with a blind mag or floor plate.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are flush fit AIC mags, as well as the Ruger 3 round mag which sits a little further below but isn't uncomfortable to carry with the hand around it. The Ruger will even work with Seekins bottom metal, which isn't a flush bottom metal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat,

As I recall you killed that bear with a cartridge most Campfire experts (especially those who've never seen a grizzly) would consider totally inadequate for such a task!

Grin....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thought you might enjoy that comment!

Getting excited down here for the mule deer rut. Have located an area with plenty of "bait".

Expect your neck is swelling too....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mausers,1903's and 1896's hold 5 and have stripper clip guides. The perfect bolt action rifles.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My first gun with a DBM was a CZ527. Once I got use to the cosmetics I really like the setup and the option of carrying a spare loaded mag.
The single stack DBM's typically feed very well too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love AICS M5 dbm setups in a sporter weight rifle.

Loaded mags in a pack are a bunch easier to deal with than rounds in a wallet or even a pouch.

I can certainly dig a blind mag set up, but my hands aren't so tender they can't deal with a bit of magazine hanging down, especially on a well balanced rifle.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shaman

I think my jitters regarding DM's comes from 40 years of dealing with a Rem 742 and a Rem 7600. I don't think I'm hard on mags, but one year I started out with 5 working mags and ended up with one functional at season's end and it was acting wonky. That winter, I studied up on how to tweak them, did some adjustments and got 4 working again. Shortly after that, I started seriously thinking about retiring the 7600.

Since then I've shied away from DM's for deer hunting until now. I'm sure this is a matter of YMMV.

At one point, I experimented with elastic butt sleeves. Twice I came back with fewer rounds in the sleeve than when I left. One of the guys in our camp has a sleeve and he has lost a couple rounds over the years. He sees no reason to change. Me? It made me rethink things. What I've been doing since 2002 or so is buying MTM ammo wallets and carrying them in my right bottom jacket or vest pocket. They carry 9 rounds-- more than enough for a whole season. I bought them for my sons as well. Whatever they were up to prior was almost guaranteeing the loss of a couple of rounds a year. Teenagers can see this as no big deal, but they're not the ones doing the reloading. I even used colored electrical tape and color-coded all the wallets, so nobody would walk off with the other guy's wallet.

Thanks Shaman, I was not even aware of those.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MTM products are made just up the road from me in Dayton. I've tried other ammo carriers. These last forever. I had one box of another brand shatter when it hit a concrete floor.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.