Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by viking
Ain’t that the truth. And most of them hate it.

I confess, I bought one rifle at Walmart years ago. It was a Mini 14 back in 08-‘09. They were the only place around that had a 223.

I bought at least a dozen Remington 700s at Walmart over the last five or six years. $250 after the rebate... They were no brainers. Unscrew the barrel, keep the action.. sell the stock sell the trigger.

People that think they can get a quality weapon at Walmart are kind of like people that go to a Kia dealer wanting to buy a BMW.

Sure, Walmart used to keep a ring binder behind the desk of quality weapons you can mail order but ever since that whole internet "thing" came along that has been kind of obsolete.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Slavek
According to guys at another forum they stopped selling pistol and certain rifle ammo last summer. Them guys were getting 9x19 ball for around $5 per box at closeout. The .45ACP ball was $30 per 200 if I remember correctly what they wrote.
I do not blame them for stopping sale low margin merchandise. I mean $6 pain of Chinese-made sneakers can be sold for $20 to $30.

it was stupid, ammo was easily 2/3 to 1/2 off, I got what I could cause word had gotten out but I figured I got easily 500 bucks of ammo for around 200 bucks. Also scored a remington 1187 20ga compact for $124.99 and leupold range finder for $50. Crazy.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I kinda wish they would get out and leave more business for actual dealers. I like a deal as well as the next guy but we have all seen how our mom & pop small businesses have been diasapearing. First it was walmart then wharehouses(Sams, Costco, etc.), then Amazon and now covid. To me small family owned businesses are what make a community. Further in the gun space going to a cool gun store is enjoyable as well as a resource.

Yeah I miss 500-525-550 bulk ammo for $8.88 and winchester white box 9mm &.45acp for cheap but such is life. I would miss it way more if I lost my local actual gun stores. So yeah massive buying power saves you money but takes margin away from the dealer and less trips to that dealer so lost additional sales. FWIW my local dealers were only slightly higher on ammo. In defference to guys buying firearms at WM I have never done that. I have seen the screaming deals but the stuff they carried was not what I wanted at the time and as pointed out are worse than they used to be in terms of variety and service. Further their constant drive to reduce price has reduced quality of the firearms themselves. I still remember the first 10/22 plastic barrel band followed by the polymer trigger gaurd I saw at WM. At that time I could get an all metal one from my stocking dealers for a few bucks more. I also remember the Rem 770 packages with sope for like +- 289. Great deal if you are young and poor. But Remmington is now toast.

Remember Herman Survivor Boots? Not the chinease produced crap boots WM currently sells and owns. The orioginal company that for 120 years produced quality stuff with American materials and Amercan workers. Sure they were $80-200 back then compared to $50-60 now but the abilty to buy that particular quality product is gone. Along with more than a few specialty boot stores where you could get service. But hey the new American way is buy three pairs a couple rolls of duct tape and some shoe goo.....

My definition of the trade deficit is Walmart and Amazon are importing cheap crap at a better short term price while exporting our jobs and skills and destroying our manufacturing capabilities and small business and eroding our communities and making things of fine quality disapear.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I haven’t been in one in years!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cash

All of our W M's tire/auto centers are still open. I don't care if they stay open because I don't buy tires or lube jobs
from them. I get to know local tire/auto repair businesses personally,

I do ALL my own oil/lube, maintanance (?) EDIT. my dictionary won't even tell me how to spell it. LOL (EDIT) etc. and repairs that I'm able to do. (w/o computer diagnosis)

This is the first I've heard of their auto 'service' not working. Maybe there'll be more ? ? dunno.

I was in our sporting goods dept. this week, All is normal there and there was more ammo than I expected to see.
Our deer season doesn't open till 11-14.

Guys, WHAT'S wrong with us, people, buying anything where it's the CHEAPEST ?

Seems to be a lot of arrogance and elitism with 'some' here.

Last edited by jwall; 10/29/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If competition from Walmart causes "mom & pop" gun stores to go out of business how have some not only managed to survive but thrive and grow bigger in spite of numerous Walmart stores everywhere around them?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I was in our local Walmart about 9 AM today. There was one box of 12 gauge shotgun ammo. No ammo or long guns.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yesterday I picked up two boxes of .30/30 at the local WalMart. Shelves were stocked, guns on display. Was back in this morning. Everything gone.
I asked the department head, and she says that is due to a memo saying to pull all guns and ammo because of the election.

Sam......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Yesterday I picked up two boxes of .30/30 at the local WalMart. Shelves were stocked, guns on display. Was back in this morning. Everything gone.
I asked the department head, and she says that is due to a memo saying to pull all guns and ammo because of the election.

BINGO ! more accurately... Protest.. Riots.. Looting.. Pillage -> expected Depending on Election !

Some PITIFUL, shameful, crappy, situation our Country is in.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffyD
The Chinese Embassy hasn't sold firearms or ammo in Jersey for 20 years or more.

That's how long it's been since I've bought anything off of them.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our closest Walmart only carries mussel loaders some times, ammo yes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.