Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Would a bullet from a Mach 2 rimfire be less lethal if fired at a 30 to 45 degree angle than a .22? The Mach 2 uses a 17 grain bullet.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by hungryhollow
Would a bullet from a Mach 2 rimfire be less lethal if fired at a 30 to 45 degree angle than a .22? The Mach 2 uses a 17 grain bullet.

Yes but only on Tuesdays in the months that end in R.......any thing past 46 degrees will kill, always !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I always wondered how many folks on the ground got hit by empty 50 BMG and 20 mm cases during the big airbattles over Europe during WW Twice. Seems like a lot of empties got spit out of fighters. Not to mention all of the falling aircraft and the bullets that came out of them as well.

Christmas Day ‘69 I was supporting troops engaged by NVA just a few miles north of DaNang in mountainous terrain. They were taking fire from a large bunker about 30 yards upslope from their position. Tree cover and proximity made the Cobras of little benefit. I came to a hover over the friendlies with a narrow view of the bunker openings. Lit up the minigun with 3 x 3 second bursts into the bunker. There were no survivors in the bunker. Our troops were quite animated about how hot the brass was that I rained on them.

Their CO thanked me later. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Checking the roof for hail damage one
year in January, I found a bullet embedded
in the shingles near the peak from these
hood rats chooting in de air for new year's.
The roofer has also found em while doing
a repair a while back.
My bronco had a big bullet dent in the top
of the tailgate from celebratory gunfire,
and this truck I have now has a bullet
dent in the hood still.

It happens no question

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember reading about terminal velocity tests done by Julian Hatcher. He tested everything from .22 short and LR to 150 and 180 gr. .30-06 and when fired straight up they all came back to earth at velocities between roughly 150 and 350 fps. I also remember in his testing a falling .22 short bullet hit a pine board when it came down and only dented it and bounced off.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What ever happened to "Be sure of your target and what lies is behind it"? A responsible person obeys all 4 rules all the time.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Clarkm
https://www.bevfitchett.us/gunshot-wounds/falling-bullets.html

The terminal velocity of a 22 cal ballet is different spinning vs tumbling.

And the bullet will maintain its alignment from the point of firing thanks to the spin - firing at any angle apart from straight up means it will be travelling sideways downrange and be subject to tumbling as a result.

At no point in time does the bullet "travel sideways".

The spin keeps the bullet spinning on a fixed axis - it could be going sideways down range, or if disturbed it will tumble out of control.

The spin lasts a long time - in most cases it's still spinning when it hits the deck. There's minimal resistance otherwise to slow the spin. There's video of 9mm bullets fired into ice and they keep spinning. Mythbusters did this too.

Repeating that won't make is so.
The projectile remains aligned point first with it's path of travel during it's entire arc.
They never go "sideways".

That is not necessarily the case. For example, a bullet which is overstabilised will tend to remain aligned with its angle of departure, rather than "nosing over" to follow the trajectory as we get out to very long range. There are also a number of forces at play tending to cause a bullet to yaw in flight, and not just at very long range, and bullets will tend to drift sideways as a result of wind and spin drift, among other things.

There's a rather good treatment of these questions a fellow named Ruprecht Nennstiel put together a while back : http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/

Over-stabilized would be an anomaly.

No, not really. Bullets tend to lose forward velocity fast, but rotational velocity much more slowly. For most purposes it isn't an issue, but there are times when it is. It was first noticed after modern long-range rifles artillery, when point-detonating shells were noticed to have a high incidence of "blinds", as they were actually not hitting point first at extended range. At extreme ranges the same can occur with rifle bullets - they land like an aircraft coming in with flaps extended, rather than nose first, as the bullet axis remains more or less aligned with the axis of departure.

"Yaw" is a wobble back and forth along the axis of travel and it's center of gravity.
It doesn't mean the projectile is traveling sideways
It is yet another example of the bullet axis not following the path of travel, which is why I mentioned it.

Wind drift and rotational "drift" don't mean the projectile is travelling "sideways" in regards to the direction of it's intended main path.

On the contrary, they mean exactly that. The bullet is indeed travelling sideways. Think of vectors - do they teach that in high school? As well, the bullet axis is not aligned with the direction in which the bullet is travelling. In the case of wind drift, for example, the typical bullet will be facing its nose into the wind as it drifts.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I always wondered how many folks on the ground got hit by empty 50 BMG and 20 mm cases during the big airbattles over Europe during WW Twice. Seems like a lot of empties got spit out of fighters. Not to mention all of the falling aircraft and the bullets that came out of them as well.

Hawk,

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who ever pondered on that issue. During the air raid videos, on major cities, you see tremendous amounts of tracers going upwards and if the old formula I was given was correct, that there are approximately 4 non-tracer rounds for every tracer you see, then there were a whole lot of bullets going up that had to come down somewhere. ( I just reread that sentence and the brilliance of that deduction is truly staggering...)

Anyways, it would have been beneficial to keep one's head down during the war.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The spin keeps the bullet spinning on a fixed axis - it could be going sideways down range, or if disturbed it will tumble out of control.

The spin lasts a long time - in most cases it's still spinning when it hits the deck. There's minimal resistance otherwise to slow the spin. There's video of 9mm bullets fired into ice and they keep spinning. Mythbusters did this too.

Repeating that won't make is so.
The projectile remains aligned point first with it's path of travel during it's entire arc.
They never go "sideways".[/quote]

That is not necessarily the case. For example, a bullet which is overstabilised will tend to remain aligned with its angle of departure, rather than "nosing over" to follow the trajectory as we get out to very long range. There are also a number of forces at play tending to cause a bullet to yaw in flight, and not just at very long range, and bullets will tend to drift sideways as a result of wind and spin drift, among other things.

There's a rather good treatment of these questions a fellow named Ruprecht Nennstiel put together a while back : http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/

Over-stabilized would be an anomaly.

No, not really. Bullets tend to lose forward velocity fast, but rotational velocity much more slowly. For most purposes it isn't an issue, but there are times when it is. It was first noticed after modern long-range rifles artillery, when point-detonating shells were noticed to have a high incidence of "blinds", as they were actually not hitting point first at extended range. At extreme ranges the same can occur with rifle bullets - they land like an aircraft coming in with flaps extended, rather than nose first, as the bullet axis remains more or less aligned with the axis of departure.

"Yaw" is a wobble back and forth along the axis of travel and it's center of gravity.
It doesn't mean the projectile is traveling sideways

It is yet another example of the bullet axis not following the path of travel, which is why I mentioned it.

Wind drift and rotational "drift" don't mean the projectile is travelling "sideways" in regards to the direction of it's intended main path.

On the contrary, they mean exactly that. The bullet is indeed travelling sideways. Think of vectors - do they teach that in high school? As well, the bullet axis is not aligned with the direction in which the bullet is travelling. In the case of wind drift, for example, the typical bullet will be facing its nose into the wind as it drifts.[/quote]

You still just keep repeating yourself and going off on unrelated tangents like "artillery" and "wind drift".

They have nothing to do with the context of what I said.
At no point during it's flight does a normal projectile turn sideways to it's direction of travel.

Last edited by Snyper; 10/29/20.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Snyper

You've made rather a mess of your quoting, attributing things others said to me and attributing things I said to yourself, so it is a bit hard to follow. Maybe that was your intention. However, the salient facts are these. You said:

Originally Posted by 'Snyper'
They never go "sideways"

This is not true. I explained why it is not true, with concrete examples. It has been known not to be true for over a century.

Originally Posted by 'Snyper'
You still just keep repeating yourself and going off on unrelated tangents like "artillery" and "wind drift".

The fact that you think these are unrelated tangents demonstrates that you simply do not understand what you are talking about. As well, using "tangent" unironically in this context reinforces that point. I used the example of artillery because it was with early rifled artillery - which are just a bigger rifle - that the phenomenon of projectiles not remaining aligned point first with the path of travel during their entire arc was noted. Our understanding of wind drift - that it causes the pointed bullet to turn into the wind - is another good solid, well-documented example of the bullet nose not remaining aligned point first with the path of travel.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 50 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.