Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
babills Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What are the good and bad of a Browning a bolt stainless stalker with boss? Have a chance to get one in 7mm mag that looks nice. Just not familiar with them thanks

shoot straight
HR IC

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Really like mine in 30.06. To me, rather than try to find the most accurate load, which may or may not have the proper ballistics for my use(target and whitetail deer), I just load a 165 gr Ballistic tip to around 2500 FPS. This is a comfortable load from the bench, and works well on Missouri whitetail deer. Once I have the load, then the BOSS allows me to tune the barrel for my load.

But don’t believe those who say you will not hear muzzle blast while using the BOSS(when shooting at game). Both on the range, and in the field, the BOSS is LOUD! But it really does greatly reduce recoil. I just wish other manufacturers would pick up the idea, or that Browning would offer it again, in left hand models. I also prefer the Stainless Stalker models also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They used to make another BOSS without the holes for the recoil reduction you could switch out.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boss CR

CR=Conventianal Recoil.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice rifles - a little on the heavy side. I had one in 22-250 that was INCREDIBLY accurate. I think I put one of Ernie’s trigger springs in it.

It was obnoxious with the standard BOSS, but a call to Browning for a CR fixed that.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ckat
Nice rifles - a little on the heavy side.

What factory rifles are lighter than an A-Bolt stainless stalker ??????? they are actually quite light

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
‘06 has been my go to for 25years,

The BOSS can be a PIA to get dialed, once you do, it should shoot 1/2” groups, 3/4” easy anyway, there are about 105 potential settings

Get The BOSS CR weight, or you will get tinnitus

B
babills Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Lol already have tinnitus. It comes with a CR.

shoot straight
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by boatanchor

What factory rifles are lighter than an A-Bolt stainless stalker ??????? they are actually quite light

A-Bolt - 7lb 3oz
X-Bolt - 6lb 8oz
Tikka T3x - 6lb 5oz
Barrett...
Bergara...
Kimber...

To name a few.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My .30/06 Stainless Stalker with BOSS-CR has been a light, handy and exceptionally accurate little rifle. I've shot a lot of deer, pigs, goats and other critters with it. It has ergonomics that suit me - I like the tang safety, which locks the bolt shut, I like the detachable mag which can easily be stuffed from the top without looking. The angled bolt knob and low bolt lift allow very rapid shots when you bounce a mob of pigs. I like it a lot.

The only thing I've found to look out for and this is common on other stainless rifles, is that some steel parts (bolt head, mag box, certain springs) are not stainless. There again, "stainless" is a misnomer anyway, for the alloys actually used in firearms, and unless you go to a better material (eg nitrided) you are still going to have to look after your rifle to prevent rust.

The other thing with them, covered above, is that the ported BOSS is bloody blasty. The CR version isn't though, and it really works. My rifle regularly puts 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards, and others I've seen are just as good.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

A-Bolt - 7lb 3oz
X-Bolt - 6lb 8oz
Tikka T3x - 6lb 5oz
Barrett...
Bergara...
Kimber...

To name a few.

Your numbers might be a bit skewed
My A-Bolt is 6lb 11oz
my TikkaT3x is 6lb 8oz
doubt you could really tell the difference in 3oz

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

A-Bolt - 7lb 3oz
X-Bolt - 6lb 8oz
Tikka T3x - 6lb 5oz
Barrett...
Bergara...
Kimber...

To name a few.

Your numbers might be a bit skewed
My A-Bolt is 6lb 11oz
my TikkaT3x is 6lb 8oz
doubt you could really tell the difference in 3oz

7mm Mag A-Bolt Stainless Stalker as the OP stated. 7lb 3oz per BROWNING. Not skewed.

You asked... I answered. And my short list is far from complete.

The OP asked for opinions from those who had them. I stated just that - my opinion (based on facts.). My opinion is still that they are “a little on the heavy side.”

OP, good luck with your quest. I’m sure you will be pleased if you end up with the rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good solid rifles. My father has a BOSS 7mm RM and it will shoot with any rifle out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one in 260 and absolutely love it.
First the Good - as seen IMO
  • The bolt throw is 60°- and is smooth. Makes for easy pull and greater scope clearance.
  • the bolt handle has a flattened angel exactly for ergonomic fast cycle
  • I think the magazine system is THE best. Magazine is detachable but held in place by a floorplate.
  • Trigger- while those hunting wet tundra say it will freeze up I have never had a problem with. It is adjustable and for just a few bucks you can replace the spring with a lighter one and have about as close to perfect custom trigger as you want. Mine breaks like glass at perfect pull.
  • Rifle is nice and light and feels great in the hand. More on this below

The Bad
  • The over the top stupid shiny ass bolt shroud. Why? I apply camo tape over it. Problem solved but....why?
  • Recoil -That skinny stock send a heck of a punch to you shoulder all out of proportion to caliber.,
  • Mine looked to be bedded and floating appeared okay BUT it was VERY susceptible to where you rested the fore-end. The closer to the muzzle I got (yes- still resting on the stock and not the barrel) -the more groups opened up.

What Did I do to Love mine ?
After trying a new pad I replaced the stock with a Bell and Carlson. HOLY CRAP what an instant success. First three shots went in to same hole and I had an offer to buy it right there. This took care of the inconsistency issue completely.
Secondly the B and C reduced recoil by a tremendous amount. While it feels chubby in the hand ( ok I know I led with my chin on that comment but lets be audits today ) compared to that skinny factory it did not make it heavy ( like a HS Precision does) . The extra bit of real estate in the back and the quality Pachmyer pad did wonders for this.
The trigger job- replacing spring- just a few $$ and took literally under two minutes and any novice can do it EASILY.
I added a Slogan sling and it makes this the easiest carrying rifle I have ever been around in my life. The Slogan is rubber and bounces a bit but stays on your shoulder. You can slip on belt of the sling in front and one in back when climbing or bending etc.. and it stays in place tightly.
Lastly I did my first camo job using the factory stock for practice- then did my B and C and am still liking it.
Put a light weight VX 3 with B and C reticle on it and used S & K rings to keep it svelte and sleek and trim and beautiful.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/02/20.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
babills Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for all the information, but I decided to go with a Browning x bolt HC speed in 308 topped with a Leupold vx3 4.5x14x50 with side focus. Damn nice rifle.

shoot straight
M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a few of the early A-Bolts, short and long actions. I bead blast the bolt sleeve so it’s matte and on the wood stocks, I sand the stocks with 800 grit and spray it with satin poly finish. For the trigger, I swap in the 3.5lbs Timney spring. Not a brench rest rifle, but I’ve taken a lot of deer, elk and hogs with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boss sux. All else is good

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've heard then bashed a lot over the years but love mine. I have an old style A bolt LH stainless stalker 25/06 that has killed more game for me than any other rifle I own. Then I have an A bolt2 LH. Micro Hunter 7mm08. The 25/06 has a "fast barrel" (higher velocity than expected) But more importantly it will shoot sub one inch groups with consistency. I never loaded anything over 100gr bullets and settled on the Partition many years ago. I've actually had two of the 7mm08s and both of them were very accurate producing .75" groups with 140gr AccuBond bullets. I've never loaded anything else. I do have some 120gr TTSX and some 154gr SST's but I haven't felt that I needed anything else. The 7mmm08 might qualify as the perfect deer rifle for where and how I hunt. I love the compact size of the Micro Hunter. I don't mind the slightly short stock since I'm "vertically challenged" myself at only 5'-7". I've always been attracted to shorter rifles and carbines so the abbreviated barrel at 20" suits me fine.Matter of fact, if I can't take it with a 7mm08 I don't have any business shooting it because the big bears are way over my pay grade!

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have a Stainless Stalker in 300 WSM but without the BOSS. I love the rifle and have found it to be a great hunting rig. I added a Limbsaver recoil pad as shooting it from the bench can certainly get your attention. I am shooting Hornady Precision Hunter, 200 grain ELD-X and they work very well on deer.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/10/20.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A-Bolt - 7lb 3oz
X-Bolt - 6lb 8oz
Tikka T3x - 6lb 5oz
Barrett...
Bergara...
Kimber...

To name a few.

Heym 98 .308 - 6lb 5oz. Walnut stock, steel bottom metal

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,827
Posts18,496,581
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.