Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a rifle looney stuck in the Midwest. My Ruger American shoots very well but the AR style mag and lousy feeding are driving me nuts. I never thought I'd be interested in a CVA bolt rifle, but the Cascade has me interested. I've looked at every 350 Legend rifle made and none scream 'buy me' but the CVA seemed nice but I couldn't pull the trigger today since it has no pedigree. I'd love to hear any actual user reviews.

I'd buy a 350L Tikka in a hot second and have considered buying a 223 and having it re-barreled or re-bored, but then I end up with a $1k+ custom that may not feed with available factory mags. Anyone have any first hand experiences with a cascade in any chambering?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
HR IC

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bought one in 350 Legend.....and I've had mag feeding issues. It doesn't want to feed the last round in the mag. I called CVA and they have sent a new mag but I haven't tried it out yet. The gun shoots really nice but if the mag issues with your American drive you nuts, this gun might also.

Hope this helps

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a different note.

Calibers: .243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308 Win, .450 Bushmaster, .350 Legend, .22-250 Varmint, 6.5 PRC, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag

Is this the only factory rifle not offered in 30-06?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Chris

FF on the last round would be a huge improvement over the Ruger's AR mag. Ruger is a good shooter, but I hate the AR mag, it's basically a single shot, and that big old mag hanging down sucks. The bolt will also turn down in the locked position outside of the action (hard to explain). Feed-wise, it is simply a POS and Ruger doesn't offer any other magazine arrangement....I've called multiple times.

The CVA reminded me a lot of a 3 lug Tikka. The trigger was very nice and didn't have the stupid trigger 'blade'. I can't find any pictures of it out of the stock. What is the recoil lug arrangement? Is it integral into the stock like the Ruger American?

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Fotis,

Good question on the '06. No 270 either. My guess is the market trend is going more towards 'target' rounds (Creed, and 308 based rounds) or Magnums for hunters.

Outside of AR's, the Legend and 450 Bush would have zero interest outside of the Midwest. But here, they are a revelation in former shotgun-only states. Slug guns SUCK. Problem is the bolt guns chambered for the new rounds are only the cheap, plastic stock economic varieties. These guns have a place, but it would be nice to buy a nicer rifle like a Tkka, M70, 700 ect. Not holding my breath and a rebarrel seems to be a crap shoot for feeding/magazine arrangement.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, working part time in Sportsman Warehouse, I have sold plenty of 450 Bushmasters here in Wyoming.

The lil ruger ranch guns with 16" barrels or whatever. Great elk medicine in the timber. Light, svelte and hits like a hammer.
I usually hunt elk in an area here outside of Laramie and the record long shot in our camp has been 121 yards!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I can see the 450 working in that role; basically a updated 45/70. Too much recoil for shooting deer IMHO.

Those ranch rifles are a good concept but I still hate a magazine hanging down where my hand goes for single handed carry. The rifles I have shot also feed like crap. A friend has a 308 and it is an obnoxious SOB and 2 moa is a good group.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
DJB, I haven't had the action out of the stock yet. I'll try to do that this weekend and take some pics of the recoil lug arrangement. I literally just got the gun a couple of weeks ago and have been too busy with other things to really dive into it as much as I would like.

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That's cool Chris. I used to get a gun and had to shoot it that day. Now, they sometimes sit in the box a while.

I'm going pick one up this week, maybe Election day. I ordered a Burris FFII and some Talley lightweights yesterday. I should be able to give a first hand report w/in a week or so unless the bow hunting is too good and keeps me away from the range.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.