-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We put new engineered hardwood in the house a month ago.
lowes hardwood

We've noticed it scratches very easily and if a drop of water falls on it, it doesn't really bead up and wipe up nice, almost acts like some of it soaks in. I know enough about wood to know this isn't good. there's mixed reports online when it comes to sealing engineered hardwood so I thought I'd pose the question here. anyone done it before?
I have done hardwood floors several times before and restored them, this just needs a seal so should be easy I would think. just want to see opinions before I jump on it/ I have a scrap piece left over to test the polyurethane on but that won' 't tell me the longer term results or effects.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife almost talked me into it. Good fortune prevailed. Ended up with luxury vinyl tile that looks just like wood. Waterproof, dogproof and doesn't creek when you walk on it. I'm a happy camper.

Re: finishing look at dura clear finish. Wipe on and let dry. Check a small area or leftover piece first. This is what my pro wood floor guy uses.

https://www.duraseal.com/products/finishes/duraclear/

My old floor with this finish held up very well. Sold that house and went with lvt in the new place.

Last edited by UncleAlps; 10/31/20.

God Bless America
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
We put new engineered hardwood in the house a month ago.
lowes hardwood

We've noticed it scratches very easily and if a drop of water falls on it, it doesn't really bead up and wipe up nice, almost acts like some of it soaks in. I know enough about wood to know this isn't good. there's mixed reports online when it comes to sealing engineered hardwood so I thought I'd pose the question here. anyone done it before?
I have done hardwood floors several times before and restored them, this just needs a seal so should be easy I would think. just want to see opinions before I jump on it/ I have a scrap piece left over to test the polyurethane on but that won' 't tell me the longer term results or effects.

I would be careful , the new floor you have has a clear coat on it from the factory. if you put another finish on it it could do a number of things like , peel and blister after a bit , turn foggy do to chemical reaction, if I were you I would try it on an extra piece of the flooring or in a closet .

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've laid a lot of it, have never sealed any. I tell people with dogs it would be better to go with lvp, like home depot life proof.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wish i would have, my hardwood floors lot like chit after 13 yrs of cats, dogs and furniture dimples..Not going to be fun taking it up and probably going back witth travertine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.