Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When I first starting going out West for coyotes, I'd be glad to shoot them at any distance, and not many at all got away. They were dead coyotes if 300 yds and under. That is why I built a 22-243AI and a 20-250AI for longer ranges. I just love it when they hang up way out there and bark... give me all the call shy dogs. My furthest kills so far have only been 631 and a 650 yds... but I'm happy with those distances. So... give me all the call shy coyotes in the country....LOL.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Find open country and hunt it when there's snow on the ground , you'll see them way out yonder then .
Practice up on your Wind holds - you'll need it .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Plenty of open country and opportunities for long range coyotes here. 3 miles from my house is a perfect place.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To be perfectly honest, you can find that kind of hunting somewhere in any state west of the Mississippi. Finding it on public land might push you west of a vertical line starting at the eastern edge of Colorado, but that still leaves a dozen or more states.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
can non residents hunt in Canada?

Last edited by DanBrothers; 11/01/20.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Far enough.....

$50/head will help pay for gas and ammo

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by tikkanut; 11/01/20.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by longarm
SE Oregon

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Love eastern Oregon. Used to hunt jacks, sage rats, arrowheads and coyotes in the vicinity of wagon tire, Ft rock, and silver lake back in the day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
When I first starting going out West for coyotes, I'd be glad to shoot them at any distance, and not many at all got away. They were dead coyotes if 300 yds and under. That is why I built a 22-243AI and a 20-250AI for longer ranges. I just love it when they hang up way out there and bark... give me all the call shy dogs. My furthest kills so far have only been 631 and a 650 yds... but I'm happy with those distances. So... give me all the call shy coyotes in the country....LOL.

You still make your annual road trip?

Personally, I'd rather call them close in open country. Shoot the first one at the caller, then kill the others running away. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ditto.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by windridge
Where is Wide Open Country... for Long Range Coyote Shots???

I know there is a lot of open country out West, but I'm wondering where I can go and hunt with the ability to get consistent shots at coyote that are 400 yds and further? I don't want the scrub brush country where i need to carry a shotgun. I'm only looking for longer than normal shots. I only want to call to them in order to make them shows themselves...NOT... to cause them to run to the call... only to make them show their whiskery faces. Got any ideas?

Here you go, and there are scads of them out there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wheres that "here you go" at?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I know there is a lot of open country out West, but I'm wondering where I can go and hunt with the ability to get consistent shots at coyote that are 400 yds and further? I don't want the scrub brush country where i need to carry a shotgun. I'm only looking for longer than normal shots. I only want to call to them in order to make them shows themselves...NOT... to cause them to run to the call... only to make them show their whiskery faces. Got any ideas?

There may be a large person on here who recently acquired 350 head of coyote bait. He keeps them on ideal ground for looooong range shooting. Perhaps he will contact you. If he does make sure you take your longjohns, several large hog heads and many bottles of good bourbon.

Thank me later

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out where 1Minute lives (Burns/Hines OR)

Last edited by Steve; 11/01/20. Reason: Oops

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
SE Oregon

Yep.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker

There may be a large person on here who recently acquired 350 head of coyote bait. He keeps them on ideal ground for looooong range shooting. Perhaps he will contact you. If he does make sure you take your longjohns, several large hog heads and many bottles of good bourbon.

Thank me later

mike r

LOL! laugh

But, but, they won't eat HIS sheep!

Right?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't made a road trip in a few years, but I'm getting antsy to go for another one. Are there still $50.00 bills running around in Utah... I mean... enough of them to make it worth the trip out there?

SE Oregon and several other places mentioned sure do look good... very good... thanks Guys

Sheep and cattle are my #1 favorite things to watch over and protect...LOL.

When you have those... you automatically have coyotes near by.

Last edited by DanBrothers; 11/01/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't made a road trip in a few years, but I'm getting antsy to go for another one. Are there still $50.00 bills running around in Utah... I mean... enough of them to make it worth the trip out there?

SE Oregon and several other places mentioned sure do look good... very good... thanks Guys

Hunt foothills.

You can see a good ways, and the foothills hold more coyotes than the desert flats in my experience.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saskfox
Plenty of open country and opportunities for long range coyotes here. 3 miles from my house is a perfect place.

saskfox;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this first day of November finds you well in the land of no time changes! grin

When I read a few of the responses, I had to chuckle as the old joke in Saskatchewan was that one could watch your dog run away for 3 days.

Then of course I was going to concoct a tale where as a boy there on the eastern Saskatchewan plains, we'd often call in the evening, go home and get a good nights sleep, then get up at regular time, have a decent farmer's breakfast and go back to the stand and wait until the coyote got there!

Now of course, that'd assume there was no wind that day so the coyotes could hear the call, but that one day in 1973 when the wind didn't blow was - well rather memorable obviously! laugh laugh wink

We've seen them coming in for miles in the sagebrush basins here in the Okanagan, but I've personally never shot one past about 450yds or so - that's going by how much the bullet dropped on the .22-250AI.

Good luck on your hunts this fall, coyotes included and all the best in all else.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my travels the last few years I would say Eastern Oregon has the most coyotes by far.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
California

That would be a correct answer.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am surprised Calif still allows coyote hunting...... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.