-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 116 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 115 116
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I played 60 rounds this year. Played my first round in 1969 and got my first lesson and set of clubs from Bob Goalby (the '68 Masters champ) in his basement.

Had a horrible slice - as do many or most amateurs - most of those years. Now have a harder time fading one than drawing.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Better not hit up that one course in Vegas, then...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Yeah I keep an honest score. Most of the time I'm playing by myself anyway so I have no reason not to. LOL

I don't know that it would hold my interest living anywhere else, but living here I'm just fully submersed in it. I can't golf enough in a week.

you could go catch some fish....

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WTM45
Manage expectations. Burnout is painful.
Been a golfer for 30+ years. Finally bought a house on a course six years ago and started playing daily rounds, in leagues and practiced every day. Burnout is real.
Keep it in perspective. Let it be fun.

Yeah I went hog wild one long weekend. I think I played 18 on Friday, 18 on Saturday, 36 on Sunday and 18 on Monday. With some Top Golf and range sessions thrown in there as well.

When I woke up Tuesday I was fugking exhausted. Like it all caught up to me at the end or something.

Now I've determined three rounds a week and a couple buckets is about perfect.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Yeah I keep an honest score. Most of the time I'm playing by myself anyway so I have no reason not to. LOL

I don't know that it would hold my interest living anywhere else, but living here I'm just fully submersed in it. I can't golf enough in a week.

you could go catch some fish....

Need a boat.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I played no more than ten or twelve rounds this year. I birdied the first hole of the year and the last.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I played no more than ten or twelve rounds this year. I birdied the first hole of the year and the last.

My buddy tells this great story about entering a tournament and his score went something like par, birdie, birdie, par, and then an 11 on a par three. LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Have you been fitted for clubs? If not, go do it.

No.

I've been told that's largely overrated.

I’d disagree with this. As has been mentioned, going to a quality fitter will change the game. They’ll match a set of clubs to whatever excuse for a swing you bring them. Proper shaft flex, kick point, weight, and length; proper loft/lie on your heads, proper grip size, etc. If they’re worth their salt, they’ll have you on a launch monitor for all of this and incorporate a ball into the mix to make sure you’re using a ball fits the swing and club setup they’ve figured out for you.

Did one with PXG about a year ago and it was amazing. Tried probably 200 different configurations that day and by the end, the guy was like, “Swing this and play a draw and watch it go straight. Now play a fade and watch it stay low” kinda schit. They’ll also put checkshots in there to make sure their numbers are right, so he’d be like, “This is probably gonna feel like schit, but go ahead and swing it anyways just so we can make sure we’re on the right track.” Sure as [bleep], it felt like hitting one chunky out of a gravel driveway.

If you think you’ll get serious about playing more often and trying to get better, I think a quality fitting session and subsequent custom club purchase is one of the largest ROI’s you’ll find in the process.

Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Have you been fitted for clubs? If not, go do it.

No.

I've been told that's largely overrated.

Depends on if they do it right. It’s only overrated if you don’t like ten or twenty extra yards with your drives.

If you are average ability, height and swing speed then it's likely no benefit. If you're tall, short, weak or athletic then get fitted. It's fairly easy and you can do it yourself with a little training and a few simple tools.

Grossly overstated and inaccurate. Well, maybe not. If by a few simple tools you mean a several thousand dollar launch monitor and a couple hundred shafts, complete with QD fittings into each of the several dozen heads you’d need, as well as various grips for each shaft offering, then I suppose you’re right. Gone are the days of a little face tape, heel tape, and an impact board.

I get what you’re saying - most off the shelf clubs are designed for average height, swing speed, ability, etc. But for Christ’s sake, pick a course and go sit at the tee of number one for an hour and tell me if you think all the swings you witness are similar enough to be playing out of the same bag.

There’s a reason launch monitors are so pervasive these days. Using them to fit clubs to your style is absolutely valuable and should be done by anyone who wants to get better at the game.

If you are not hitting the ball consistently on the sweet spot then there is no amount of technology that will help. Getting the basic club length and shaft flex correct is a proper first step. Leave the gizmos for the suckers who are willing to get fleeced for $1,000 every year or two.

God Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
True. But when you do hit it on the sweet spot, wouldn’t you want everything else lined up, as well? Like I said, most fittings are free, so there’s no harm. Might find out you need standard loft/standard lie, anyways. Might just take your numbers to a shop and have the clubs cut/bent. Doesn’t mean you need to buy a new set, just gives you some more information. What you do with the information is up to you.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A sweet spot strike can result in a snap hook, a balloon or a push.
Shaft specs dictate it.
And it can be dang difficult for the golfer to analyze the results without assistance.
All the more reason to get fit early on. And get with a Pro.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get on a damned launch monitor. There are hundreds of different options for driver shafts and small changes can make a huge difference. I don’t really believe Deflave is already playing bogey golf...it’s not that he is lying, he is just have that new golfer myopia... but if he is, he is good enough to gain from a launch monitor. You can’t play bogey golf without a consistent swing.

New golfers who are already playing bogey golf are like drunk drivers who only had “two beers”.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/02/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A sweet spot strike can result in a snap hook, a balloon or a push.
Shaft specs dictate it.
All the more reason to get fit early on.

Or the face angle. Steel shafted irons aren't going to cause hooks or slices. It's the face angle at impact.

That's it. No rocket science.

God Bless America
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Get on a damned launch monitor. There are hundreds of different options for driver shafts and small changes can make a huge difference. I don’t really believe Deflave is already playing bogey golf...it’s not that he is lying, he is just have that new golfer myopia... but if he is, he is good enough to gain from a launch monitor. You can’t play bogey golf without a consistent swing.

New golfers who are already playing bogey golf are like drunk drivers who only had “two beers”.

Oh brother.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh brother.

It’s true. Everyone who has played for awhile knows it. But it’s okay.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Or the face angle. Steel shafted irons aren't going to cause hooks or slices. It's the face angle at impact.

Just how do you think the face angle is consistently controlled with irons and iron shafts? Mix that bag up with various flexes which do not fit a player's swing and watch the results.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Oh brother.

I hope you enjoyed your 10 rounds for the year.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh brother.

I hope you enjoyed your 10 rounds for the year.

Not too much this year, that’s why I didn’t play more. 79 was my best round this year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
don't need a boat, caught from shore, probably bigger than the world record. Poco caught it last yr, over 14ft.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just how do you think the face angle is consistently controlled with irons and iron shafts? Mix that bag up with various flexes which do not fit a player's swing and watch the results.

Why would you mix up the shafts in a set of irons?

False argument.

God Bless America
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I played 60 rounds this year. Played my first round in 1969 and got my first lesson and set of clubs from Bob Goalby (the '68 Masters champ) in his basement.

Had a horrible slice - as do many or most amateurs - most of those years. Now have a harder time fading one than drawing.

That's pretty good Rock.

Page 24 of 116 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.