Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15336574 10/22/20
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have one in the safe somewhere. I was looking at gunbroker, and I saw some listed. Ill have to dig it out and take it to the range. Amazing machining and design.
I think it is heads above a PPK.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Terryk, I’ve had PPKs and PPK/Ss and have always had issues with slide bite causing a great set of railroad tracks on the web of my hand. Do you have that issue and does the TPH cause the same? I’ve always wanted one but never shelled out the money for one not knowing if I would get the same track marks.

Thanks in advance - coltfan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't know how you can compare the two, the TPH is half the size of the PP/PPK

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
tmitch, I agree that they are completely different size wise, but same design and the relationship between the the grip frame and the slide height looks the same. So I asked the question hoping not to have to spend the money if somebody else already knows.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The TPH doesn’t leave railroad tracks like the PPK, at least in my experience. I’ve owned several and still have the .22 in stainless. The TPH’s sold in the plastic boxes with an extra mag are more reliable than the first runs in the cardboard box. The grip panels are susceptible to cracking if overtightened. They are bringing some good prices, especially the .25 in blue.

All this info is concerning the US made guns.

They are pretty accurate and really fun shooters.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks JB_in_SC, that’s the info I needed. I may have to start a quest...

coltfan

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by coltfan
Thanks JB_in_SC, that’s the info I needed. I may have to start a quest...

coltfan

If you find one you can inspect. It should function smoothly in DA without any major “hitches”. I’d ask to remove the grip panel if possible, giving the milling a good look for areas that might be milled too deeply. I’ve only seen one with that issue, but there’s no remedy since they’re long out of production.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve never seen one in my neck of the woods, though I do know a buddy who has one tucked away. But having tried to buy stuff from him in the past, I’ll never even see it much less buy it. A quick look at GB and there are a few out there, at a little higher than I anticipated. I guess I should have speculated years ago. And that also does not allow me to do the inspections that you mentioned.

It has now become a mission. That is very unfortunate for my wallet.

Thanks again - coltfan

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have one in the safe somewhere. I was looking at gunbroker, and I saw some listed. Ill have to dig it out and take it to the range. Amazing machining and design.
I think it is heads above a PPK.

Here is a helpful hint. Use a Dremel tool with the felt polishing wheel and polish the feed ramp with Flitz until it is bright, shiny, and smooth. My TPH wouldn't function well at all until I did this.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you get slide bite from other Walthers, you will probably get it from the TPH.
:-(

Also, let the buyer beware.
I got one on Gunbroker a couple of years ago, and it's basically flawless.
Shoots CCI standard velocity ammo, as well as bulk Remington, and MiniMags.

It's not unusual to get a specimen that won't run anything at all without failures.
Guys on the Walther forum have sent guns to gurus who are supposed to be wizards on the TPH and spent $$$, only to get back guns that still won't get through a mag.
Another common issue: guns that won't fire in DA mode.

So.... just be informed.

<><
HE>i
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.