Print Thread
Hop To
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I'm looking closely at the DNZ one piece mount and bottom half of rings. Just three pieces (not counting screws) They have the same general idea as Talley but in a one piece mount. I'll be mounting a 1-4x Leupold to my M-1895 chambered in 45/70. I've got few other Marlins with the old Weaver one piece base and the rings with the screws only on one side. I generally have nightmares for 3 to 4 nights after fighting to get the reticle straight when using those old style(original maybe?) Weaver rings. Any suggestions? I do have a set of Talley's on another Marlin but I don't get as much spacing as I can with other bases plus I hate toting a rifle with the Talleys because the sharp corners on them if your carrying with your hand cradling the receiver from the underside.
I've contacted Talley a couple times about rounding the corners off a little but never received any response. Maybe it would be too much trouble. I don't know.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Goat

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I have a set of rings and two QD bases for Marlin 1895. I had them set up or a 338MXLR and a 1895MXLR. Changing scope back and forth never lost zero. One of the guns was shooting 1" higher than the other so it worked great.
I think I still have them....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have the DNZ. Very happy with them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been running Talley and Warne QD rings on my rifles that have iron sights for probably 30 years. Early on I also did not care for the sharp edges of the levers and top of rings, of which Warne is a bit better in that regard. So what I did was used files, stones and crocus cloth to make them rounder and more user friendly. The blued ones were touched up with a cold blue and they are better for my purposes now, They are a bit of a pain to initially set up and get scope positioned in compared to other rings, but if my rifle has iron sights, I want to be able to access them easily.

The peep sight base Skinner Sights has as an option for the 1895 and probably others is a nifty idea if one wants to scope and old school lever gun. They machined slots in the base that accept Warne and Talley medium height QD rings so it is easy for the user to have both options readily available.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had an 1895 with a setup that worked great for me: XS rail with the XS peep and XS front "patridge blade" sight, Warne QD rings and, at one time or another, a Burris 1.5-5x20 or a Leupold 2.75x Scout scope mounted on the XS rail. I liked that I could zero the scope for 350 Hornady RNs over 45gr of RL7 at 1750 fps, and also detach the scope and use the peep sight for 405gr cast over 14gr of Unique...plinking loads! Whatever you do, leave yourself plenty of eye relief. Don't ask me how I know!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a set of dnz on a 7600. Very good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the DNZ on mine with a 1.5-5 VX-3 I had CDS added to. It is a little funky looking but I can live with it, I like the one piece base. Someone makes a base that has a peep that flips up when the scope is removed.

I think Brockman made the flip up peep sight.

Last edited by tkinak; 12/02/20.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have A Marlin 1895 Cowboy that I scoped up a couple years ago for a hunt.
I topped it with a Weaver one piece base and a Weaver K 2.5 with post reticle and Weaver rings.
The trick to the Weaver rings and the inevitable crooked crosshairs after tightening the ring screws, is to start with the crosshairs in about the 11:30 or 11;45 position, and tighten the screws down. It may take 2 or 3 tries, but eventually you'll get the crosshairs to your liking.
I have dozens of rifles with Weaver rings, and all of them have straight crosshairs. It takes a few tries, but you'll get 'em straight with a little persistence.

BTW I killed a bull buffalo with that set up. It was a thrill. One shot with a hard cast bullet at 100 yds. He dropped like a bag of rocks.

WB

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tkinak
Someone makes a base that has a peep that flips up when the scope is removed.

Who? That sounds really interesting! LInk?

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two bases with the flip up peeps. P.M. Me as I would sell them. Leupold/ redfield rings.

I have been using weaver bases and quick detach rings on mine. Since I got lasix surgery I can shoot iron sights again! It's a hoot.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.