Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used a light rope, attach a small carabiner to each end. You can attach the top carabiner to the stand or loop around a sturdy close by branch, or, if you prefer, to your belt or belt loop. The other end is looped around the sling and you clip the carabiner onto the rope. Haul her up.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use these. Sold at most outdoor sporting goods stores and Amazon. Tie it off up top on the tree stand arm and let it hang 3 or so feet off the ground. Attach said weapon, climb the stand, pull it up. The reverse when coming down. I will not ascend or descend a tree stand with a rifle or bow strapped on my back.

https://www.amazon.com/HME-Products...03329095&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-5

Last edited by fishnpbr; 10/21/20.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just use 550 Para Cord to pull the rifle up into the stand. We typically tie a length of it to every ladder stand for whomever to use. If using a climber I tie the cord to my belt and when secure in the stand I pull the rifle up

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When I go up so does my rifle. Ladder stand over my shoulder and climber with the sling over my head and rifle cross ways over my chest. Always unloaded!
GreggH

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A piece of rope

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Although I have just slung it over my back and climbed also if it’s a ladder stand or sticks

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I throw it up then climb up afterwards b helps rattle the hornets.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
20' piece of para cord works great and is light.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Para cord.

Have a piece at each stand. Tied to platform and tied to a step at bottom when not in use.

Sometimes I just sling my rifle across my back and go up.

Had one of those straps years ago. It was okay but the crank feature was pretty much useless. Can't get much leverage on a 2" handle. Ended up just using it like a rope, hand over hand and pull up on strap.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I and all my family menbers use the

Lewis Strapper Retriever.

Problem with small ropes and cords is they get tangled up, knots. A wind up affair keeps things nice and neat

I learned a serious lesson using a thin rope. I used a clip on both ends of a thin rope. I went up a tree for 25' or so with a Buckshot climber. I made the decision to leave the rope hanging and not pull it up. I had climbed a crooked wet sweet gum and the pucker factor was pretty good for a while there till I got above some small trees where I could see.

A heavy 8 pointer walked under my tree just at day break, I never saw him or heard him as he came from directly behind me. He had seen the rope hanging down and had either seen me or smelled me. I heard him running off as he snorted.

I got the Lewis Strapper Retriever and found a scent killing product called Forget the Wind, and a deer or coyote has not busted me in 15 years.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I put a rope on every stand when we set them. No clips or carabiners to avoid unnessary noise. Only a simple rope. When using a climber, i attach the rope to a side rail as others have described.

I also believe in climbing hands free and maintaing three points of contact.

John

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to have 8 stands in the woods on the farm( they sold the pastures , herd, woods). My dirty 30 was slung over my backpack , muzzle down, nothing in the chamber or tube. All my stands , I was on a safety with a prussik on a 7/16 kernmantle rope from my first step in the tree. Ain't no big deal and I had some gnarly, high treestands!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
either of these options.

empty chamber, action open, slung across my back.

or lay on ground empty chamber, attach rope, climb up, haul up afterwards.

small dia rope with a carabiner on each end makes for easy clamping to sling on one end and belt loop of pants on other end

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Small diameter rope with plastic carabiner's on each end. I tie it to the stand at setup so the bottom clip is about chest high off the ground. This way you can attach your bow or rifle to it and not have to set them on the ground and drag them a little ways before lifting it up.

When I leave the stand I wrap and tie the rope so it doesn't blow around and get tangled in the brush.

Joken2 suggested to use swivels to keep the weapon from twirling around when hoisting or lowering.

That is a great idea!!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use a long enough piece of 1/4 inch nylon rope with a hook from a wore out tiedown strap. I prop my rifle against the tree, lower the hook and snag the sling. That Piece of rope has many uses.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Okay, I'm going to go all Safety Sally on yous guys. As a hunter safety instructor, we teach using a haul line EVERY time; gun or bow. Empty in the chamber, preferably action open, safety on, and muzzle down. It's actually a question on the test. Falling with a gun or bow is no joke. Serious injury's and some deaths have occurred.

My haul line is tied off so the end is 4' above the ground. I tie it around the buttstock, through the sling, and so the swivels act as a "stop". If you're unsure of your knot, use a clip or carabiner.

This is a good product and should be added to your safety system along with your harness and prussic line:

Haul line for firearm -3rd hand archery

We had an older gentleman either getting into or coming out of a tree stand get fatally shot with his own lever action firearm on opening day a few years ago. Stay safe out there.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
if you're unsure of your knot.. tying a carabiner or clip to the line won't help... smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I use a rope if using climber. If ladder stand, I generally don’t need it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I stay on the ground. I fell out of a tree stand about 40 years ago. I wouldn't weather that storm as well today.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Rule 1 -

Safety harness with a descender rope, or don’t use a tree stand.

That being said —- Always empty the chamber...

Ladder stands I use a sling but I put it on my side so I can toss if aside if I have to.
With a ladder you can put your arm through the ladder and hook it so you can drop what’s in your other arm / on your other shoulder.

Stands that use “climbing sticks,” here you use a rope - transitioning from the stick to the stand is darn dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.