Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like I'll be able to go take my HP 22 and hand loads to the range today. They are finally open on a first come, first serve basis. Beautiful 70 degree day here in CT, so we'll see if I can make round holes instead of square ones. Last time out with S&B ammo gun was keyholing every round, no accuracy at all. Hopefully it'll like the 70gr or 60gr Reeds bullets. I'll post the results when I get back.

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
GB1

B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, there is good news and frustrating news. The good news is that with either the 60 or 70gr Reeds over RL7 and IMR3031 (24.3gr and 25.3gr each, 5 of each, 40 rounds total) I made ROUND holes at 50 yds. Not key holing at all. The not so good news is with the beat up Weaver J4 on it, I was shooting 2 1/2" high and 1/2" left, resting on my ammo case. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to adjust the J4. Got dark and the range closed, so at least I know it will shoot with the .228 pills. Not all is lost!

Last edited by Blitz; 11/08/20.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So you may have to shim the bases?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or secure a sturdier rest to determine if it's the gun, the scope, the loads, or the shooter. Regardless it sounds like you're on The Yellow Brick Road to success. Good show! Reeds are good bullets.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Blitz
Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to adjust the J4.

The J 4 would have standard windage and elevation knobs. Not sure I follow your statement?

IC B2

B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It seems there are caps over the adjustment screws. Found this out when I got home. Could also be a combo of things as previously mentioned. Proper sand bags, rifle tripod would stabilize aim too. More range time!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't support the forearm (with a hand or bag or bipod) for your bench shooting, as the wood will push against the barrel inconsistently. Support the rifle under the receiver and butt, which eliminates at least one (in-)accuracy variable.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This wouldn't bother me at all. Fact is they are round vs key hole. 2 1/2 high and 1/2 half to the left wouldn't concern me either. What would concern me is that more than 1 group was fired and the groups were consistent. I would eliminate the scope and give it another whirl. Good luck.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The groups were all within 1.5", just high and to the left. I was very happy with the groupings and the fact that the holes were all round. Last time out (over a year ago) I was key holing and had no accuracy shooting S&B ammo, which has a .224 pill. I had almost given up, but decided to try hand loading the Reeds .228 as an a last ditch effort. Seems I may be able to at least get the old girl shooting. The gun is definitely a grey swiss cheese rat, but it belonged to my best friend who passed at 44 and it has a lot of sentimental value. It is what turned me on to the Savage rifle and I've been smitten ever since. Just so different from everything else I've picked up. I even got a second barrel from a member here, but it looks like it may not be required. Just got to dial it in now.

And I blame all of you guys for my obsession...

8->

Blitz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you have a GREAT reason to stick with it. The groups are very acceptable from what you say. The point of impact will be easy to manipulate into the kill zone given the consistency you describe.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish we lived closer, Blitz. It would be fun making a few .22HP's bark together!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Blitz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hey, I have some In-laws in MD. I visit once in a while. May be a possible hook up if we co-ordinate.

I'm just happy to have a 105 year old gun that still punches round holes in paper pretty much where I point it.

Who would of thought? Sure as hell not me prior to acquiring the Savage. Been an awesome journey so far. And the fact it came from a dear friend makes it even more precious.

Blitz

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 8 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.