Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 116 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 115 116
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Golf is hard. You’ll never be good. Yet, you’ll never remember the bad shots, only the good shots, right up until you pay your $50 to $100 for your round...and promptly top your tee shot into the water or three putt your third hole of the day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Around here, big old grassy places get cut and baled, and in the spring folks get to shoot Belding's ground squirrels. Be a damn shame if a person wanted to play golf on them.

Farmer might figure out he could charge chumps to run around on his field and try to get the ball into the gopher hole. Which is likely how the silly game was started by some drunken Scots with bent handle walking sticks and a sheep turd or somesuch

Be sure you only use biodegradable gun powder and copper bullets.

Yep, we don't want any vultures dying.

Oh, how you doing with that golf "etiquette" stuff. Shouldn't be too hard after living on the Hi Line for a few years.

Last edited by Valsdad; 11/03/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Somebody shows up to play with me with something that has a uniflex shaft, I’m going back to the bar. I’ve never even heard of such phu ckery.

Yeah, I think the term DumbDuck, is searching for is "regular flex" !

Which, by the way, about 75%+ play.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Golf is hard.

Mike drop.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I hate to ask a rookie question, but do you scratch or low handicap golfers have a ball preference?

I hear people go on and on about this and I always laugh because it seems so silly unless you're a true baller.

But maybe it's a thing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hate to ask a rookie question, but do you scratch or low handicap golfers have a ball preference?

I hear people go on and on about this and I always laugh because it seems so silly unless you're a true baller.

But maybe it's a thing.

It’s a thing.

Think about it like bullet choices through different barrels with different powders.

That’s why I dropped that “ball fitting” comment into the club fitting conversation. It’s easily accomplished with a launch monitor, although one definitely isn’t required.

I played a ProV1x forever. Recently switched to a TP5x. Jury’s still out. My honest opinion is that they perform so similarly, why change? I’ve spent 25 years looking at “Titleist” at address, why change that up for a yard, or two.

If you’re going to be playing this much over the next few weeks/months, grab a few different sleeves and play a sleeve until it runs out and then try whatever sleeve you pull out next.

If you don’t mind spending a little money, I’d start with ProV1/ProV1x, AVX, TP5/TP5x, Bridgestone Tour B (match one to your swing speed or pick a few different versions), and I’ve played and liked Srixon’s Z-Star XV. A lot of folks really like Callaway’s Chrome Soft/Soft X, but I’ve never been a fan of their golf balls.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But maybe it's a thing.

The "reasons" that golfers have for preferring one ball over another pretty much parallel many of the "reasons" that exist in the shooting world.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 5sdad

But maybe it's a thing.

The "reasons" that golfers have for preferring one ball over another pretty much parallel many of the "reasons" that exist in the shooting world.

Like what?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

But maybe it's a thing.

It’s a thing.

Think about it like bullet choices through different barrels with different powders.

That’s why I dropped that “ball fitting” comment into the club fitting conversation. It’s easily accomplished with a launch monitor, although one definitely isn’t required.

I played a ProV1x forever. Recently switched to a TP5x. Jury’s still out. My honest opinion is that they perform so similarly, why change? I’ve spent 25 years looking at “Titleist” at address, why change that up for a yard, or two.

If you’re going to be playing this much over the next few weeks/months, grab a few different sleeves and play a sleeve until it runs out and then try whatever sleeve you pull out next.

If you don’t mind spending a little money, I’d start with ProV1/ProV1x, AVX, TP5/TP5x, Bridgestone Tour B (match one to your swing speed or pick a few different versions), and I’ve played and liked Srixon’s Z-Star XV. A lot of folks really like Callaway’s Chrome Soft/Soft X, but I’ve never been a fan of their golf balls.

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But maybe it's a thing.

Like what?

Some notion that a person has come up with in his head.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Like a Ford vs. Chevy type thing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Exactly - or .270 v. .280, or .308 v. .30-06, or the world v. Leupold.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Honestly the ProV1x, although they’ve now changed the x vs. no x naming a bit in the last few years, gave me the mix of attributes I wanted in a ball. Not on paper, on the course.

It’s long, it’s soft, and you can spin the hell out of it. There was a time where the cover was so soft on them I could scuff one up pretty good with a wedge. That wasn’t ideal, but it was fixed pretty quickly.

Over time, it became more of a confidence thing. They became old reliable. For me, they just feel right at impact, you can move them if you want to, lean into one and get a little more out of it, and can get them to hold greens in spite of conditions.

I still have 4 dozen TP5x’s to go through, though. They may grow on me, but if they don’t, it’ll be back to ProV1’s. And this isn’t to say that they’re any better/worse than the ProV1, it’s just a confidence thing. They’re similarly priced and if they don’t provide a clear advantage to my game, I would rather look down and see Titleist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carried a 9 handicap for several years playing good to great tracks. Balls matter a lot more once you have some ability to control your shots.

Short game means way more than going long off the T’s.

ProV’s are like milk and eggs. You should always have a sleeve or two in the bag.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
shiner bock or bud lite let's get serious.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Exactly - or .270 v. .280, or .308 v. .30-06, or the world v. Leupold.

Oh.

Are you a scratch golfer?

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Honestly the ProV1x, although they’ve now changed the x vs. no x naming a bit in the last few years, gave me the mix of attributes I wanted in a ball. Not on paper, on the course.

It’s long, it’s soft, and you can spin the hell out of it. There was a time where the cover was so soft on them I could scuff one up pretty good with a wedge. That wasn’t ideal, but it was fixed pretty quickly.

Over time, it became more of a confidence thing. They became old reliable. For me, they just feel right at impact, you can move them if you want to, lean into one and get a little more out of it, and can get them to hold greens in spite of conditions.

I still have 4 dozen TP5x’s to go through, though. They may grow on me, but if they don’t, it’ll be back to ProV1’s. And this isn’t to say that they’re any better/worse than the ProV1, it’s just a confidence thing. They’re similarly priced and if they don’t provide a clear advantage to my game, I would rather look down and see Titleist.

Interesting.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Carried a 9 handicap for several years playing good to great tracks. Balls matter a lot more once you have some ability to control your shots.

Short game means way more than going long off the T’s.

ProV’s are like milk and eggs. You should always have a sleeve or two in the bag.

😎

I don't believe that anybody in Oregon knows how to golf.

You're all retards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Golf is hard. You’ll never be good. Yet, you’ll never remember the bad shots, only the good shots...

Oh, I don't know about that. I can recall several spectacularly chitty shots from 20 plus years ago. Like the time at a big tournament when I skulled a screaming worm-burner tee shot that hit the ladies tee marker dead nuts and the ball sailed 60 yard behind me into the crowd.

That was embarrassing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buy a ball based on what you want it to do around the greens.
Then play only that ball. Consistency will be found in driving, long game, short game and putting.

Page 29 of 116 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.