Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
So I needed to get some .243 and 7mm-08 ammo for my sons for deer season. My wife checked three sporting goods stores and they didn’t have any of either. I went to another gun store and found some. He said that’s all he would get. I knew it was tight but didn’t know it was that bad. I was able to get the same 7 mm-08 load (hornady custom lite 120 gr sat) my son has been using.

The other son used Remington core lokt 100 gr last year in his .243. There wasn’t any of that. I had to choose between Barnes vortex 80 gr ttps and hornady 95 gr sst. I’ve been reading the praises of Barnes for years and never tried them so I bought two boxes. Assuming decent accuracy, is the Barnes the better load for a 9 year old shooting less than 100 yards with most shots less than 50. I feel confident the Barnes will penetrate better and won’t have to worry if he hits bone. However with a broadside lung shot not hitting bone the sst would probably give more trauma and shock to the animal putting it down quicker. What are your thoughts?

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
At that range, on whitetail, I think either would work just fine. I would lean copper if accurate just for meat's sake.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
80gr is getting a bit lite in my mind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't use copper ammo. Reading reports from reliable sources, animals tend to run a little further after a fatal hit with copper. That may or may not make a difference where you hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
80gr is getting a bit lite in my mind.

I don't use them, but light is kind of the whole point with Barnes monolithics.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Either will work well with good shot placement.

My money would go to the SST if you want a blood trail on a lung shot but at close ranges the Barnes will go through any bone in its path.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My daughter-in-law used the Barnes load last year on a Maine buck at 60 yards. I was more than impressed with the results and there was no running. The single shot through the front shoulder exited. I'd say if it shoots well in your rifle to have it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Barnes Bullets are excellent and don't worry about it only being 80gr. Even 250lb hogs can't stop one.
I do not like the SSTs in the 243. They are very fragile and don't do well against larger bones. with a younger shooter and the possibility of a marginal shot, I would want to use the best bullet I can.
Now the 95gr Nosler ballistic tips are totally different those are very tough bullets

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
Barnes Bullets are excellent and don't worry about it only being 80gr. Even 250lb hogs can't stop one.
I do not like the SSTs in the 243. They are very fragile and don't do well against larger bones. with a younger shooter and the possibility of a marginal shot, I would want to use the best bullet I can.
Now the 95gr Nosler ballistic tips are totally different those are very tough bullets
I put a 95 gr, SST straight into the brisket of a big doe from 25 yards. It blew off the top of her heart, turned her lungs to runny purple jelly, punched a silver dollar sized hole through her liver and churned her guts into a smelly mess where it was lost. Seemed like pretty good penetration for a fragile bullet to me.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by lugnut1981
So I needed to get some .243 and 7mm-08 ammo for my sons for deer season. My wife checked three sporting goods stores and they didn’t have any of either. I went to another gun store and found some. He said that’s all he would get. I knew it was tight but didn’t know it was that bad. I was able to get the same 7 mm-08 load (hornady custom lite 120 gr sat) my son has been using.

The other son used Remington core lokt 100 gr last year in his .243. There wasn’t any of that. I had to choose between Barnes vortex 80 gr ttps and hornady 95 gr sst. I’ve been reading the praises of Barnes for years and never tried them so I bought two boxes. Assuming decent accuracy, is the Barnes the better load for a 9 year old shooting less than 100 yards with most shots less than 50. I feel confident the Barnes will penetrate better and won’t have to worry if he hits bone. However with a broadside lung shot not hitting bone the sst would probably give more trauma and shock to the animal putting it down quicker. What are your thoughts?

I think you have a pretty good handle on the differences between the two bullets. My son's first deer he shot at 155 yds on a quartering angle using 22 cal Barnes TTSX 62 gr from a 223. He put the bullet between the front legs on a quartering shot that clipped the top of the heart and exited behind the opposite foreleg. The deer dumped dead right there. I don't think your son will have any problems with the Barnes, even if no bones are hit. A tip for blood trails is to keep your shots in the lower half of the body.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Barnes being light is the entire idea of the bullet. My friends son killed a cow elk two years ago with an 80grn TTSX out of a Ruger American compact in 243 with an 18 inch barrel. 330 pound cow elk shot at 160 yards, complete pass through graveyard dead.

Last edited by bmoney; 11/06/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most of the salient points have been covered by the above posters on bullet/load choice. What is sadly lacking is your reality in waiting till just before the season to secure ammunition so your kids can hunt. 2 whole boxes???? Jfc pull your head out, do you think ammo supply will get better under Joe & the ho? Just ungoddamn believable.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I would’ve phrased it differently, you’re kinda right for the most part. The elephant in the room that no one’s talking about seems to be the outlook for the future regarding ammo and components. I expect those who want to keep shooting are going to have to be pretty proactive when it comes to getting ammo or its makings.

OTOH, I was once a busy person myself, so I understand how some stuff can slip through the cracks. A time or two in the past I was reduced to shooting factory because the season slipped up on me.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't use copper ammo. Reading reports from reliable sources, animals tend to run a little further after a fatal hit with copper. That may or may not make a difference where you hunt.

I’d suggest this is more a function of placement than copper vs lead. Try a mono with a high shoulder placement and the animal isn’t going anywhere.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe pappy348 but the problem is you're allways a gentlemen and polite. I've just plain run out of understanding of people who think they can buy what they want whenever they want for what they want to pay in this day and age. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/08/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I appreciate your comments.

Magnum Bob: You’re right I should keep a steady supply ammo. I didn’t realize I was that low. You probably didn’t realize that harvest for me is August through November and during October I didn’t see my house during daylight. I also have 4 kids. We have baseball, guitar, dance, bible drills, children’s choir, babysitters to line up, diapers to change. My mother also passed away in July. I’m not making excuses, and I like hunting as much as possible, but ammo just hadn’t been the main concern the last couple months. I would love to reload but don’t have time or space. I do appreciate your kick in the butt and you’re right. I need to buy ammo when I can find it the way things are going.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lugnut1981
I appreciate your comments.

Magnum Bob: You’re right I should keep a steady supply ammo. I didn’t realize I was that low. You probably didn’t realize that harvest for me is August through November and during October I didn’t see my house during daylight. I also have 4 kids. We have baseball, guitar, dance, bible drills, children’s choir, babysitters to line up, diapers to change. My mother also passed away in July. I’m not making excuses, and I like hunting as much as possible, but ammo just hadn’t been the main concern the last couple months. I would love to reload but don’t have time or space. I do appreciate your kick in the butt and you’re right. I need to buy ammo when I can find it the way things are going.

Dang! I was never quite THAT busy, but then after the first two, I finally figgered out where them babies was coming from.

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Maybe pappy348 but the problem is you're allways a gentlemen and polite. I've just plain run out of understanding of people who think they can buy what they want whenever they want for what they want to pay in this day and age. MB

Well, that's the first time anyone’s ever accused me of that! I have been known to bust loose at times, but I don't see a reason here, just someone who got caught up in current events. Been very fortunate myself through all this, knock on wood, mainly because I’ve got the time to ponder how to handle things and only myself and the China Doll to take care of.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lugnut1981 what state do you live in? Mb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Best investment in ammo is to send money to the Trump lawyer fund. No joke!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 160user, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,096
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.