Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I live in Louisiana. I’ve been living there for 4 years. I’m from Mississippi and grew up hunting there. I now hunt in both states. Kind of funny how both my boys killed deer in 2 states their first year shooting. I was grown before I killed a deer outside of Mississippi.

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
Barnes Bullets are excellent and don't worry about it only being 80gr. Even 250lb hogs can't stop one.
I do not like the SSTs in the 243. They are very fragile and don't do well against larger bones. with a younger shooter and the possibility of a marginal shot, I would want to use the best bullet I can.
Now the 95gr Nosler ballistic tips are totally different those are very tough bullets
I put a 95 gr, SST straight into the brisket of a big doe from 25 yards. It blew off the top of her heart, turned her lungs to runny purple jelly, punched a silver dollar sized hole through her liver and churned her guts into a smelly mess where it was lost. Seemed like pretty good penetration for a fragile bullet to me.

One of my nephews has had several excellent results from the 95 grain SST. They certainly didn't act very fragile on the deer he shot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am quite sure you will not be the only one suprised about the lack of standard hunting ammo.
I have seen a few shortages but never 243, 308,06 etc

I was at Jays Sporting goods today one of Michigan's largest(great folks) it was sad lots of boys heading North next weekend will be quite suprised

Ironically they just got some 50Beowolf grabbed a couple boxes

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
One thing about it, if hunters are short on ammo maybe the sloppy ones will try to get it done with one shot for a change. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't use copper ammo. Reading reports from reliable sources, animals tend to run a little further after a fatal hit with copper. That may or may not make a difference where you hunt.

I've read that also but it doesn't match my experience. TSX & TTSX have put game down for me extremely fast and us my preferred bullet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I haven’t fired a factory load in 40 plus years. I guess they still make them???

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
good luck finding any at the moment. except maybe some obscure caliber like us loonies might own wink
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My son has had good results with the 80 grain TTSX out of a .257 Roberts. My friend’s son uses the 7mm-08 load you mentioned with excellent results. I don’t have any experience with SST in .243.

Good luck to your kids!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
While I would’ve phrased it differently, you’re kinda right for the most part. The elephant in the room that no one’s talking about seems to be the outlook for the future regarding ammo and components. I expect those who want to keep shooting are going to have to be pretty proactive when it comes to getting ammo or its makings.

OTOH, I was once a busy person myself, so I understand how some stuff can slip through the cracks. A time or two in the past I was reduced to shooting factory because the season slipped up on me.

I just passed on a screaming deal for a 308, because I have little or no components for one--and I didn't want to go through the agony of maybe or maybe not finding the relevant components--and bought another 270 for a equally screaming deal 'cause I have LOTS of components.

But really, if a guy ain't aware of what has happened in the shooting world for the past 8 months.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
One thing about it, if hunters are short on ammo maybe the sloppy ones will try to get it done with one shot for a change. Mb

Too funny........ laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.