Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I purchased a 5 watt GMRS radio which uses UHF wave frequency and tested them them and only was able to communicate about 1.5 miles on flat open ground. I was expecting more with the 5 watts of power. I did some more research and a few articles i read stated a 2 watt MURS could outperform a 5 or even 40 watt gmrs radio outdoors because it utilizes the VHF wave frequency. Anyone care to share there experience and help me decide. I reached out to the online store i purchased them from and they recommended the radios i purchased even though they had both options for the same price. Of course another retailer recommended the 2 watt MURS radio.

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’m not an expert

Do they still have cell phones with 2 way radios built in? Those were the chizzaayy

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If nobody can here can help, try these folks:

https://www.universal-radio.com/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GMRS requires a license, MURS does not. Most handhelds are limited by the antenna, not the output power. Investigate HAM if you want Linder distances and repeater access.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Do they still have cell phones with 2 way radios built in? Those were the chizzaayy

I remember working with a contractor in 2003 who used Nextel push 2 talk phones. They could talk 5 states over in the bottom of a holler in bfe to someone. My high dollar company 2 way radio wouldn’t even talk to the bottom of the hill I was standing on.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I very seriously doubt the claim that the MURS radios will perform much differently from the GMRS radios. A little, maybe, but not much, if they are both running the same power.

The big obstacle in both cases is the antenna. The short, flexible, built in antennas are notoriously inefficient. However, the rules say those are the only antennas you are allowed to use. On a big base antenna, I have no problem talking to stations many miles away on the 2 meter amateur band (next to MURS frequencies), where external antennas are permitted.

Many hand-helds advertise absurd power levels. When you actually measure the so-called 18 watt radios, you get a little under 5 watts, which is a reasonable expectation. There may be some 7 watt hand helds that are real, but I've never tested one. 18 watts is ridiculous.

Being outside your vehicle makes a big difference, as does elevation. Years ago, there was a hiker stranded on Mt. Hood who used his low power hand held to reach help over 30 miles away. That's what elevation and a true line of sight path will do for you.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gethuntin
I purchased a 5 watt GMRS radio which uses UHF wave frequency and tested them them and only was able to communicate about 1.5 miles on flat open ground. I was expecting more with the 5 watts of power. I did some more research and a few articles i read stated a 2 watt MURS could outperform a 5 or even 40 watt gmrs radio outdoors because it utilizes the VHF wave frequency. Anyone care to share there experience and help me decide. I reached out to the online store i purchased them from and they recommended the radios i purchased even though they had both options for the same price. Of course another retailer recommended the 2 watt MURS radio.

Thanks

You’re getting all that can be expected from that equipment.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In this mountain state we have found Standard Horizon to work best. We are presently using HX370S which I’m sure has been outdated. Hamheads will be along shortly to tell you why you shouldn’t use it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
5W isn't much on a omnidirectional antenna, so 1.5 mile sounds about right.

Power and antenna type (or more specifically "gain") both affect useful distance (5W on a directional antenna, or yagi, will go a lot further) but both criteria would come under regulations. I'm not sure of the particular regulations.

I think HAM operates in the VHF band so can bounce off the ionosphere for long distances, but this is largely affected by atmospheric conditions.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
UHF and VHF are line of sight, higher elevation equals more distance. There are GMRS repeaters, like the ones we use for amateur radio, that will give you substantial distance. I can usually hit a repeater with 5 watts and talk to other hams as far as 75 miles.

Here’s a listing of GMRS repeaters, the owner usually requires permission to operate through the repeater but some are open.

https://mygmrs.com/map/#/3582

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gethuntin

Thanks

You’re getting all that can be expected from that equipment.

Let me handle this.. Anytime I have hand held radio questions I listen to this..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I am very new to these radios and capabilities. How close do i have to be from a repeater for my handheld to reach. Nearest one appears to be about 40-50 miles. I did order a longer antenna to try and help. I am not expecting 30 plus miles by any means but I was hoping 3 was a possibility. I was in my truck and the other radio was in a house. Maybe that shortened our range a little.

Originally Posted by JB in SC
UHF and VHF are line of sight, higher elevation equals more distance. There are GMRS repeaters, like the ones we use for amateur radio, that will give you substantial distance. I can usually hit a repeater with 5 watts and talk to other hams as far as 75 miles.

Here’s a listing of GMRS repeaters, the owner usually requires permission to operate through the repeater but some are open.

https://mygmrs.com/map/#/3582

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Other than company repeater radios,I found that a CB with like a 150 watt linear or SSB to out perform these new little radios by a great margin..IMHO just a good CB with a good antenna beats them....That's in mountainous terrain..I use CB hand helds instead of UHF radios...

JMHO..lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Quick and dirty without getting into the details:

The lower the frequency, the greater the range.

The higher the frequency, the better the sound quality.

AM= longer range
FM= better sound quality

CB=HF, high frequecy, AM, 27 MHz
Aviation VHF= Very High Frequency, AM,120ish Mhz
Marine VHF= Very High Frequency, FM, 150ish Mhz
MURS= VHF Very High Frequence, AM/FM, 150ish Mhz
FRS/GMRS= UHF, Ultra High Frequency, FM, 462ish Mhz

HAM 2Meter= VHF, FM, 144-148Mhz, max 1500 watts

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

You didn’t mention what brand of radios that you purchased, I’m guessing Midland, so here’s some food for thought. At end of 2017, the FCC revised their channel designations and regulations to reclassify dual band FRS/GMRS radios. Previously, these hybrid devices required an FCC license. Now they are considered an FRS-only unit and do not require a license. These radios operate in the 136 MHz to 900MHz range, aka “the dirty band” which is used by a wide range of devices from garage door openers to old cordless phones.

A true GMRS radio will operate in the 462 MHz and 467MHz bands. They are generally used by small businesses and require a repeater system to communicate beyond 1.5 miles.
An FCC license is required for these systems. The FCC does allow GMRS radio operations for personal use by individuals or families but these radios are limited to 1-5 watts with a range of 1-2 miles. Business users are limited to 50 watts with a range of 5+ miles.
If you indeed have a GMRS radio and not a hybrid, it looks like it from your test that it is operating within it’s defined parameters.
Disclaimer......the FCC changes the rules like I change my socks. I retired a couple of years ago and I’m sure things have changed some since then so don’t quote my recollection. You can wade through the mess for yourself at FCC.gov

Hope this helps

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 1moredeer

You didn’t mention what brand of radios that you purchased, I’m guessing Midland, so here’s some food for thought. At end of 2017, the FCC revised their channel designations and regulations to reclassify dual band FRS/GMRS radios. Previously, these hybrid devices required an FCC license. Now they are considered an FRS-only unit and do not require a license. These radios operate in the 136 MHz to 900MHz range, aka “the dirty band” which is used by a wide range of devices from garage door openers to old cordless phones.

A true GMRS radio will operate in the 462 MHz and 467MHz bands. They are generally used by small businesses and require a repeater system to communicate beyond 1.5 miles.
An FCC license is required for these systems. The FCC does allow GMRS radio operations for personal use by individuals or families but these radios are limited to 1-5 watts with a range of 1-2 miles. Business users are limited to 50 watts with a range of 5+ miles.
If you indeed have a GMRS radio and not a hybrid, it looks like it from your test that it is operating within it’s defined parameters.
Disclaimer......the FCC changes the rules like I change my socks. I retired a couple of years ago and I’m sure things have changed some since then so don’t quote my recollection. You can wade through the mess for yourself at FCC.gov

Hope this helps

Thank You, it sounds like i am getting the most out of these radios and i was overestimating what was reasonable. I have a Wouxan radio. I am working on getting my required license if i stick with these radios over the MURS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you want out of your radios? Car to car? Car to base? Handheld portability while hunting? You would probably be well ahead if you want any distance to get a tech ham license. It’s easy to get and repeaters are abundant. I can hit a local repeater with a $40 handheld from quite far away and talk 70+ miles. Direct simplex with the same units will go around 7-8 miles depending on terrain, but that’s stretching it. CB is another license free option, especially if you don’t want handhelds.

Last edited by K1500; 11/09/20.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by K1500
What do you want out of your radios? Car to car? Car to base? Handheld portability while hunting? You would probably be well ahead if you want any distance to get a tech ham license. It’s easy to get and repeaters are abundant. I can hit a local repeater with a $40 handheld from quite far away and talk 70+ miles. Direct simplex with the same units will go around 7-8 miles depending on terrain, but that’s stretching it. CB is another license free option, especially if you don’t want handhelds.

Just looking at handheld for hunting some rough terrain where we dont have cell service. We will only need these for 5-7 days a year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rough terrain can be an asset or a liability. All simplex communications on VHF and UHF (direct from one radio to another) are essentially line-of-sight. So, ridge to ridge or ridge to valley floor you may get good range. Put a ridge between you and the other radio and you may get nothing.

That’s essentially how repeaters work, and why they are a real asset when available. They are in the highest place for miles around and a small and weak radio can reach them. They rebroadcast the signal from the top of the mountain with more power and a better antenna, thus allowing you to communicate farther than you could in simplex mode.

I would say that you got the best product for your use. An antenna upgrade will get you farther than changing radios to MURS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.