-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaskan BackPackers are what I run in my 44, Ruger New Super Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel. Garrett Hammerheads are awesome rounds too but are quite spendy @ $100 for a box of 50.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Ruger Redhawk Alaskan w/ 2” barrel

As others are saying, run 300's. If you handloaded, there might be better options, but a 300gr cast bullet at 1000fps+ is going to do the job. It isn't speed that allows them to work so well; it is momentum. Buy enough so you can run several cylinders beforehand, to make sure they shoot where they should, that they don't back out of the case and tie up your cylinder, and that you can handle the recoil effectively for follow-up shots.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gunner500
Never hunted Alaska, but based on what Whitworth and others have said, I buy or load ammunition with the 300gr Swift A Frames.

Phil Shoemaker killed a 900 pound bear that charged him and his clients with hardcast from a 9mm. Why would one need to spend more?

He, and me, and most, if not all here, are not Phil Shomaker. Nor is the 9mm Phil's choice (if choice there be) of bear stopper, I think.

For what it is worth (nothing), I would not buy anything for bear with a 2" barrel (well, maybe a grenade. smile ), but it is dealer's choice.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by gunner500
Never hunted Alaska, but based on what Whitworth and others have said, I buy or load ammunition with the 300gr Swift A Frames.

Phil Shoemaker killed a 900 pound bear that charged him and his clients with hardcast from a 9mm. Why would one need to spend more?

He, and me, and most, if not all here, are not Phil Shomaker. Nor is the 9mm Phil's choice (if choice there be) of bear stopper, I think.

For what it is worth (nothing), I would not buy anything for bear with a 2" barrel (well, maybe a grenade. smile ), but it is dealer's choice.

What does "not Phil Shoemaket" have to do with the fact the 9mm with Hardcastle worked?

Absolutely nothing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Many bear encounters have been resolved with bear spray. Why would one need to spend more?

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Ruger Redhawk Alaskan w/ 2” barrel

Ok, I use primarily Buffalo-Bore Ammo, as well as some Alaska Backpacker 300gr & 320gr, you won't find the Alaska Backpacker Ammo any longer, as Bob, that would be Robert (Bob) Wiseman, that used to have the AMMO Shop in Soldotna, AK. ie... (The Kenai Peninsula) has Closed the Shop, as his Health has gone down hill. I've added some attachments below..... do as you like, but these are my Recommendation.
Lj cool
Oh, and by the way, I'm packing a Custom Ruger Bisley SBH Hunter .44Mag..... attached below

Attached Images
Captur.PNG (56.81 KB, 435 downloads)
Capture.PNG (57.59 KB, 412 downloads)
Last edited by AK375DGR; 11/10/20. Reason: Added Info:

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

What does "not Phil Shoemaket" have to do with the fact the 9mm with Hardcastle worked?

Absolutely nothing

I would argue it has absolutely everything to do with the fact that they worked. They worked because of where they were placed rapidly under duress. It was the driver that won that race, not the car.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
Many bear encounters have been resolved with bear spray. Why would one need to spend more?

Ok,,,,, well, with a comment like that,,,, I'd say you don't get out much, because if you did,,, you sure as Hell wouldn't be making a statement as such, and by the way,,,,, how many Bear Encounters have you actually had,,,,, I would bet NONE. grin
Lj cool

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Ok,,,,, well, with a comment like that,,,, I'd say you don't get out much, because if you did,,, you sure as Hell wouldn't be making a statement as such, and by the way,,,,, how many Bear Encounters have you actually had,,,,, I would bet NONE. grin
Lj cool

A read that with a heavy accent of sarcasm.

22 would actually be cheapest, and we know that works.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Lj cool

A read that with a heavy accent of sarcasm.

22 would actually be cheapest, and we know that works.

Ok,,,,, well, thats a Very Astute Observation on your part, Good on You..... grin
Lj cool

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Lj cool

LOL, if you only knew anything about CWH2.

Last edited by 358Norma_fan; 11/10/20.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Absolutely nothing

I would argue it has absolutely everything to do with the fact that they worked. They worked because of where they were placed rapidly under duress. It was the driver that won that race, not the car.

Had to be both, location will not matter if the bullet is not up to the task
I'm not Phil Shoemaker and I shot a grizzly with a handgun that came in on us cleaning a moose and it worked

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Lj cool

LOL, if you only knew anything about CWH2.

Ok,,,,, you are correct, but with that being said, with his comment,,,,, I stand by my Post. .... grin
Lj cool

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I certainly don't get out much, and I don't have nearly the bear encounter experience of some, but the point is this:

Just because it worked once, doesn't mean it is a good idea. It could mean that it is the bare (pun!) minimum that could possibly work. So, drawing conclusions based on a small sample size is generally a bad idea.

JWP is a smart feller, and as I recall the bear he mentions shooting wasn't shot with a 9mm, regardless of bullets.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I certainly don't get out much, and I don't have nearly the bear encounter experience of some, but the point is this:

Just because it worked once, doesn't mean it is a good idea. It could mean that it is the bare (pun!) minimum that could possibly work. So, drawing conclusions based on a small sample size is generally a bad idea.

JWP is a smart feller, and as I recall the bear he mentions shooting wasn't shot with a 9mm, regardless of bullets.

No I didn't use a 9mm. Phil tested that 9mm ammo and concluded that it had enough penetration to work without exiting and endangering his clients. Phil had the unfortunate encounter that proved his conclusion was correct

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Take a look at Double Tap offering...320gr WFN.

Potent.

If you roll your own, take a look at Lehigh Defense 265gr WFN solid copper bullets.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Ok,,,,, just trying to follow your thoughts here,,,,, are you implying that Phil should have tried Bear-Spray 1st, before using his 9mm in that type of situation,,,,,,, wow, I'm not sure Phil even carries Bear-Spray,,,,,, but even if he does, from what I know of that particular instance, I doubt Bear-Spray was the 1st thing that came to his mind,,,,,, I don't carry Bear-Spray, and never will,,,,,, if needed, my .44 will do the job, it has, and will continue to do so.
LJ cool

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow is right....

No, I'm not implying that anyone rely on bear spray. In no way am I recommending bear spray. I don't care if people use it, but I personally don't. Aside from the lack of effectiveness, there are other concerns with bear spray. As I recall from previous posts, Phil does carry and use bear spray, but is a long ways from "relying" upon it. My use of the example of spray was in relation to the 9mm comment and meant as sarcasm and a bit of hyperbole. Wolverine, I thought about using "22", but fell back to bear spray as the minimum that might work smile

Moving back from that tangent... In re-reading JWPs comments, it was more around "why spend more money on bullets besides hard cast" and less about the particular chambering. As I recall the little 9mm isn't even Phil's normal sidearm in bear country, but he certainly made it work. I think there are certainly arguments for folks using a firearm they are comfortable with, and many are either not comfortable or competent with a .44. I'm not sure I'd want to recommend the 9mm universally as a brown bear defensive gun, but if that's what someone had and was comfortable with, I'd certainly go that way over sticks, spray or rocks.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Wow is right....

No, I'm not implying that anyone rely on bear spray. In no way am I recommending bear spray. I don't care if people use it, but I personally don't. Aside from the lack of effectiveness, there are other concerns with bear spray. As I recall from previous posts, Phil does carry and use bear spray, but is a long ways from "relying" upon it. My use of the example of spray was in relation to the 9mm comment and meant as sarcasm and a bit of hyperbole. Wolverine, I thought about using "22", but fell back to bear spray as the minimum that might work smile

Moving back from that tangent... In re-reading JWPs comments, it was more around "why spend more money on bullets besides hard cast" and less about the particular chambering. As I recall the little 9mm isn't even Phil's normal sidearm in bear country, but he certainly made it work. I think there are certainly arguments for folks using a firearm they are comfortable with, and many are either not comfortable or competent with a .44. I'm not sure I'd want to recommend the 9mm universally as a brown bear defensive gun, but if that's what someone had and was comfortable with, I'd certainly go that way over sticks, spray or rocks.

Ok then,,,,, I'm understanding your thought process now,,,, and I concur, so were Good..... for now. grin
Lj cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are times I carry bear spray and from the few sample times I have used it, it worked and was a great educational tool that hopefully saved the bear some future grief.
But bear spray and handguns for bear protection are similar to wearing a life jacket in a boat ot keeping a fire extinguisher in your home. They are last ditch tools .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 50 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.