Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Docbar Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I have a line on a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts. I really like the rifle, but this chambering is not common. Is there anything I should be concerned about or aware of?

Last edited by Docbar; 11/07/20. Reason: Spelling
HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good rifles. How much?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
D
Docbar Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
D

Originally Posted by BobBrown
Good rifles. How much?

A few hundred below new pricing,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure you're good on feeding it.

D
Docbar Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Make sure you're good on feeding it.

Thanks. I handload some so that’s not a huge concern if I can find brass. I looked online and loaded ammo is sold out everywhere.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You are no doubt aware, but they no longer chamber the Montana in 257 R. If you want it, best grab it before someone else does.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 11/07/20. Reason: Cl
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Docbar
I have a line on a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts. I really like the rifle, but this chambering is not common. Is there anything I should be concerned about or aware of?

I had one. Another 'fire member had one. We both had the same symptoms, guessing it was the same problem. The chamber on my rifle was cut with a reamer that was too small. If I FL-sized to bump the shoulder, the cases were too large in diameter and took excessive force to close the bolt. If I sized more, just enough that the bolt close was a slight drag, not a lot of force, then I got case head separations. Kimber pretty much told me to go "f" myself, the rifle worked with Remington factory ammo (true) so it wasn't their problem. To fix the problem, I ordered a custom reamer from PTG .. they botched the throat on that. When I got that replaced, the throat was too long, accuracy (which had been decent despite the other issues) went to crap. I fought it about 3 years .. ran out of "Fight with it" and sold it. Got rid of all of my .257 brass, dies, bullets, etc.

I assume we both had rifles cut with the same reamer. As long as yours isn't in that batch, you're likely good to go with a pretty nice rifle.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not a Montana, but my Classic Select will be the last deer rifle I ever get rid of.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Not a Montana, but my Classic Select will be the last deer rifle I ever get rid of.

My heirs will have to get rid of my Classic Select BOB.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidepass

I’m there with you both!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass

Yeah buddy, those are some nice rifles.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mixed reviews with the little 257 R.
Does anyone know if the issue was limited to earlier rifles, and perhaps corrected on the later production ?

Thanks
CD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mechanically,it's far and away THE schittiest fhuqking chambering,ever offered in a 84M. Hint.

The Montucky hasn't the COAL latitude to contend a case of that length and there isn't a boolit worth a fhuqk,that'll nestle same. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

GREAT donor for something good,like a 224 Speedmire,6BR or 243 Kreed,which blows it outta the water. Hint.

In fairness however,I've never seen a Krassik Serect,but by the numbers...one in 264 Kreed would offer performance lightyears beyond a Bob. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice rifles

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Montana 6.5CM and a Hunter 308. Absolute max COAL is 2.81". Never having had a 257R, will 2.81" get you close to the rifling?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does a 2.230" case trim length,sound like a good fhuqking idea in a 2.815" COAL magbox? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Again..."Mechanically,it's far and away THE schittiest fhuqking chambering,ever offered in a 84M." Hint.

Cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to fhuqking understand. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I too have heard Kimber used short actions for the .257 roberts which hinders it's capabilities. Ruger always used long actions for this chambering for comparison. Not sure about winchester/remington.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AB2506
I have a Montana 6.5CM and a Hunter 308. Absolute max COAL is 2.81". Never having had a 257R, will 2.81" get you close to the rifling?

The issue with throat is bullet shape. The standard load that the factory / SAAMI reamers are built around is the 117 grain Remington pretty-much-round-nose. If you have a short mag box, then more pointed bullets have a lot of jump. That does not absolutely preclude accuracy but it makes it a bit less likely. It is not hard to reach the throat, limited to 2.8 to 2.82 inches OAL, with a custom reamer, but you won't have a ton of flexibility either.

My Kimber .257, with the factory throat, needed a COL of about 2.95" to reach the rifling with the 110 grain accubond, a jump of about 0.125 (I could load to 2.825" OAL in my rifle) if the cartridges were to magazine feed. It's not ideal but I've had rifles that had 3x the jump shoot 3/4" 200 yard groups.

The .257 is based on the 7x57. The original 7x57s had a mag box around 3.1 inches, more or less. .257 is still best suited to that action length. Shorter, 2.8" or so, can be done, but you'd probably be a touch better off with a .25 on the Creedmoor case or on the .308 case. If you're going with an '06 length action, .25-'06 is a better way to go. One option .. works for a short 700, not an 84M, is Wyatt's extended mag box. I had a 700 LVSF clone built with one which let me load to 2.97 to 2.98 inches. I've heard people bitch about Wyatt's boxes ... for me, it worked great, but the gunsmithing was all done by Wyatt himself, not by a second rate hack who had an axe to grind.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I owned a Montana in 257 and currently own a Classic select in 257. The Kimber short action is fine if you are loading standard loads. I use 100 grain bullets in my Kimbers and never had any issues with feeding or accuracy. 117 grain and 120 loads seated to standard lengths worked fine as well and never had any issues with those either. In short the Kimbers in 257 Roberts I have experience with killed deer in Georgia just fine with my standard handloads. But then, I dont try to make the cartridge be or do something its not designed to be or do.

Would I take this load to Texas or Kansas and try and kill those big deer at 300 yards?? No, I would not. I have rifles chambered in something more adequate for that. For my purposes in Georgia, a 180 pound whitetail at 60 to 200 yards, its more than adequate. The one rifle I sold and regret to this day is that Montana in 257 Roberts. Personally I would be all over it.

D
Docbar Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I bought it despite the short comings that come with running the 257 Roberts in a short action. The price was good, and I can always rebarrel later. For now I’ll use it on small white tails, coyotes, and the occasional hog. Ranges will be less than 300 yards, and usually less than 150 with many shots at 50 yards or so.

tas6691, what do you consider standard bullets and loads. I’m considering the 115 BT, but I’m not sure how much this bullet will intrude into the case impacting powder capacity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 222Sako, 10ring1, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.