Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Fantastic write up. I too have buddies I can't thank enough for their help. I suppose it usually goes both ways.

Get that knee surgerized and don't ignore post-op PT.

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great story, congrats to all.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Dang guys. Hindsight is 2020 but tough guys do tough guy schit sometimes. I imagine this hunt will be talked about around a few campfires in the coming years. Mistakes aside you handled them pretty well and got out of there with the elk. Great groups of dudes on the mountain and that was lucky. Get the knee replaced and do the PT and get healed up for next year. Then just Keep the knives in the elk and out of the Idahoans and you’ll be set for years!

So true.... They don't make them much tougher than Dave but this year really put us both to the test. I was proud of how it all turned out and still found a way to learn a bit more.

That calls for a left handed fist bump bro
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Re: beer

Those young fellows are old enough to join the Marines. grin

Re: strong young guys

One of my nephews has taken up powerlifting. "Hey bud, please grab that ice chest for Uncle M."

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by huntsman22
can I rent IDnative next year in CO?

I don’t typically rent out my pack stock, but throw a figure my way and I’ll consider it I suppose.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
thanks and here's to you pard!

a special tip of the hat to your pards. i could not have done a lot with out my pard. he has passed on scouting for me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dang, that cut to the hand looks like it was dang serious. Glad everything worked out I the end, and congrats on the success.

We had a 68 yo in elk camp this year that killed his first bull elk, in many years of trying. I knew when we put the loaded pack on his back that he was going to struggle to make it the 2 miles back to camp. Being the youngest in camp and in the best shape, I made it a point to hustle down with my load and back up to meet him to take over carrying his load on in to camp. Just the right thing to do and he made sure to let me know how much he appreciated it. I told him that I hope some day some young bucks do the same for me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by huntsman22
can I rent IDnative next year in CO?

I don’t typically rent out my pack stock, but throw a figure my way and I’ll consider it I suppose.

Money talks! HAHAHA!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Awesome hunt, awesome story, and awesome outcome. Things certainly could have been worse.

I do NOT recommend the QuikClot powder! It has a thermal reaction to liquids and can seriously burn you. I have seen burns worse than the original wound. Additionally, don't mess with the powder in windy conditions. It can blow into your eyes and can cause permanent blindness.

The Quikclot gauze was designed to do the same great job. However, it's critical the gauze gets placed on the source of the bleeding, not just the outside of the wound. To keep it in place, wrap the injured part and the gauze with an ace wrap. Wrap it snug at first, leave it that way for 20 minutes, then loosen just enough to restore normal blood flow. Tighten if it continues to bleed but replacement may be necessary if the bleeding doesn't stop as it's likely the gauze wasn't applied directly to the source.

Anyone in need of Quikclot Gauze can PM me and I'll give you a smoking deal on some. My dad bought a whole box thinking he would use it regularly. Thankfully that's not the case.

Thanks, Dinny
US Army Combat Medic (3 tours in the Middle East)

Medics bury their mistakes..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dinny
Awesome hunt, awesome story, and awesome outcome. Things certainly could have been worse.

I do NOT recommend the QuikClot powder! It has a thermal reaction to liquids and can seriously burn you. I have seen burns worse than the original wound. Additionally, don't mess with the powder in windy conditions. It can blow into your eyes and can cause permanent blindness.

The Quikclot gauze was designed to do the same great job. However, it's critical the gauze gets placed on the source of the bleeding, not just the outside of the wound. To keep it in place, wrap the injured part and the gauze with an ace wrap. Wrap it snug at first, leave it that way for 20 minutes, then loosen just enough to restore normal blood flow. Tighten if it continues to bleed but replacement may be necessary if the bleeding doesn't stop as it's likely the gauze wasn't applied directly to the source.

Anyone in need of Quikclot Gauze can PM me and I'll give you a smoking deal on some. My dad bought a whole box thinking he would use it regularly. Thankfully that's not the case.

Thanks, Dinny
US Army Combat Medic (3 tours in the Middle East)

Dinny, Thank you for your service and also for that kind offer. My hat is off to you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow so many great things in this story, and it’s lessons, but gotta say excellent write up! Very enjoying to read, also want to second what Dinny said re Quickclot - gauze good power bad. At least that was still the standard last first aide training I had a while ago.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Good to know! Thank you for the info. Much appreciated

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would add some information about tourniquets also since someone mentioned it. Tqs work by compressing a vein or artery in between muscle, skin, tissue, etc and a bone to create a pinching affect. Consider placing a tq 2-3" away from joints and only over large, strong bones. In this situation, the tq should be placed 2-3" below the elbow. The radial and ulna bones of our wrist and forearm are thinner and less supported close to the hand. A heavy handed tq placed over the forearm or wrist risks a bone fracture.

Improvised tqs can be made from readily available items. Be certain to use something between 1-2" wide as the main item wrapped around the limb. I once saw someone's life saved by wrapping thin electrical wire around a severed ankle. While that soldier survived, he had alot of nerve and vessel damage that couldn't be repaired. Surgeons had to cut the limb back enough to find healthy, viable tissue and vasulature.

Thanks, Dinny

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Yes. Thank you for that. I was at the point where I was about to improvise a tourniquet but fortunately it didn't come to that. Good info for everyone and thank you again. Also, thank you to any and all of you for your SERVICE!! Respect and gratitude to you all from this Idaho boy..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW I've made a habit of putting my knife into meat. All the way. Every time I put it down while working an animal. I've not had an accident but I saw years ago the possible and came up with that. It certainly doesn't hurt the meat at all. Thats in the field. At deer camp we just set them on the table.

Glad all is well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IDnative, sorry to hear of your accident. Have you seen a doctor about your injury? If so, what did he/she do for you??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dinny
Thank you for all the info. I will steer clear of the powder and stick with the gauze.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Glad to help.

Thanks, Dinny

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dinny thank you for your service & the good info .us people that play out side need good info on stuff that works when we screw up

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
FWIW I've made a habit of putting my knife into meat. All the way. Every time I put it down while working an animal. I've not had an accident but I saw years ago the possible and came up with that. It certainly doesn't hurt the meat at all. Thats in the field. At deer camp we just set them on the table.

Glad all is well.

This is what I try to do as much as possible.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,291 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.