-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up in a port town watching these giant ships, we would fish right next to them as they came in the narrow channel, it was pretty awesome being 20 feet away from them as they went by. I was fascinated with these boats. I remember when My dad told me the Mighty Fitz went down, I was crushed.

My best friends brother was on one of these Great Lakes Freighters (I don't remember the name of it) and lost a life long friend on that ship.

It was a genuinely sad day.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Wabi.
A good one for sure.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, interesting. I live 100 miles due south of the Lake. We travel to Marquette often in the summer. A Historical Marker on Presque Isle indicates the Lake as being 1300 feet deep, 45 degrees median water temp, and takes a drop of water that enters the Lake on the western side 200 years to exit on the eastern. Some of the oldest rock found in the world is located on the south shore.
I was running electrical wire in our then new home when I heard the news on the radio.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MJones
Every year I mention the Fitz . It'll be a 7:20 tonight when she sank .CST . I'm just an old farm boy from Western Missouri and I remember in 3rd grade seeing the news the next day I guess . I want to go up to Duluth , Mn someday and see the iron ships .Especially the Arthur Anderson and the James R Barker . You boys up that way wanna tell me the best time of year to see them ?

This may tide you over till you get there in person

https://www.duluthharborcam.com/

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was teaching down in the Detroit , remember it well.
16 years ago we went to White Fish Bay point in Feb, temps were around -6 with a strong North wind coming off Superior.
It was very sobering, we were there by our selves, waves crashing on the shore, and knowing just a few miles away lie the wreck.
Love the song.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Happened right about now!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very sad, i was 20 when it happened, the song Lightfoot wrote is very poignant.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you've got some time to kill, this is a fantastic documentary on it. 48 minutes

O
O
We sometimes live on the St Clair river on Harsens island. The ships pass by very close to our seawall. we can feel and hear the rumbling coming up through the floor shaking enough wake me sometimes when a tug and barge come by at night. The Lakers are so well lit that they light up the whole house at night even with the drapes shut. The river is about 1500-2000 feet wide between our seawall and the Walpole Indian reservation on the Canadian side. The ships usually pass about 250 to 500 feet out. Sometimes they are two wide in that space. Then they'e even closer. The dredged drop off is only about 120 feet out where we are. Its amazing how close they look. Yesterday the old lady of the fleet came by for her first upbound daylight pass aince a rehab this summer. The 1948 built Lee Tragurtha Still cutting a low wake and looking good. I tried to put a picture of her up but its too big. appropriate.

There were a lot of up-bound ships making runs in the good weather the last few days. Chicago has 70 mph gusts winds tonight we were told. Its going to get nasty out on the lakes. But it would take a lot more to cause one to sink these days. For one thing, the Fitz would have ducked in with todays satellite weather forecasting. I don't see proof of some mystery corpse which doesn't belong. As I understood it only 1 body was located unintentionally and he appeared dressed to be a crewman and therefore belonged there. Families got upset so no more pics of deceased crew allowed.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lifelong coastal residents know that the Great Lakes, at least the upper 3 are not to be scoffed at. While my experience is far from a seasoned freighter captain I can say without a doubt that sometimes you will look back on your time on these waters and be thankful that you are home safe with your family. As with anything, there are risks but for sure Huron and especially Superior will undoubtedly reveal your insignificance if you drop your guard if even for a moment.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

nice news piece from 5 yrs ago...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"It's islands, and bays are for sportsmens".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sad day that day. We lost a couple of surfers here trying to catch some truly big waves here on Lake Michigan. Windchills alone should've killed em. Seas here were 20+ feet.

The Big Fitz had it rough. Tough way to die, drowning in cold dark seas, in a blizzard gale. She was a big 700+ footer downbound after picking up a load of ore in Duluth/Superior. The storm came up fast and she was making full steam. She tried heading for the lee of the north shore, even trying to duck behind Isle Royale, but the winds shifted and she was caught in the fetch of the lake. 20' seas up to 35 footers in an 85mph wind. Lost a couple hatch covers, railing, and both radars. She was sailing blind. She asked the Anderson to be her "eyes". The Anderson was ahead of her about 10 miles, but lost the Fitz on radar about 7pm. The Anderson couldn't raise the USCG for an hour and the Fitz wasn't reported missing for 2 hours because they thought it just lost comms. The Soo locks were closed because the storm, many nav lights were out because of the storm, and radio was sketchy at best. A USCG plane was dispatched from USCG Station Traverse City followed by one of their SAR Seaguard helos, but they didn't get there until 3 hours after they lost contact with the Fitz. No one can survive in that water that long.

Most likely she went down fast with all hands. There was no distress signal. The hero's are the crew of the Anderson. They had made safe harbor when the USCG asked them to turn around and go back out, directly into the gale. Captain Cooper didn't hesitate. The winds came down the full fetch of the lake from NW to SE and it was in the SE part that she went down in 500fow. The waves had the whole lake, 200+ miles to build. Anderson's crew knew this and knew most likely that the Fitz went down. Damn fine men who will do that.

And sadly, that's not the deadliest day on the Great Lakes in November.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the Fall of 1999 two buddies and I were camped on one of the islands off the north shore of Superior, moose hunting. One day while sitting on a ridge above one of the lakes on the island I would occasionally hear a big boom. Wind was fron the south west that day and when I got back to camp there were 18 to 20 foot whitecaps hitting the Rocky shore and making the boom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pictured Rocks on the South shore is worth the visit. The beach East of the cliffs is littered with old wooden ship wrecks. The reef at the lighthouse runs a mile off shore and is no deeper than six feet causing the wrecks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Walking across it is even more cooler.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by trplem
Walking across it is even more cooler.

Forgot to hit qoute...the Macinac bridge.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Really weird as I recall that day, though at the time we could not have known about the EF on Lake Superior. I was a sophomore at a prep school in Wi. We were playing a football game that night in galeforce winds. Our punter had some record punts that night with the wind. It was a brutal game for a bunch of high schoolers. Rest in Peace to those who gave their lives with their ships providing our sustenance.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This is cool, last night in Duluth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for posting - very interesting clip.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.