-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

ledvm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you kindly gents! I decided to try the Paco Pad. Couple of others here look try worthy as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exped outfitter is the heaviest duty I can find

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ledvm
Thank you kindly gents! I decided to try the Paco Pad. Couple of others here look try worthy as well.

Paco pad is good gear. don't be afraid to go thick and wide.

the silverback used to be the biggest model, haven't bought a new Paco in a while. (have 5)

I have a couple of custom 2"thick, 24" wide that fit between wheel wells of pickup bed.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to use thermarest, had no complaints for my backpacking pad years ago. I switched to Paco after a few trips down the Grand Canyon with some buddies on a private trip. Hunting camp, camping, sleeping in the truck bed, can't beat a Paco pad. I do use a ground tarp with em though as with all my gear. Saves on wear and tear. I keep one of those OD green heavy duty canvas tarps in stash or truck box.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thermarest neoair XL.

Weight sucks. Sleep is great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by DBT
Are hammocks any good for side sleepers? I imagine they'd be backbreaking.

I'm a side sleeper.

If you set them up wrong it can be. Most people set them up too tight and lie in them like a banana. There's lots of videos and a forum on how to get everything just right.
For instance, you lie with your head to one side diagonally to get a flat lay. The tension, length and width of the hammock has to be right for each individual. Once those are dialed in, I ve not found a more comfortable sleep.

I tried. For YEARS I tried to camp with a hammock. Several different ones. Just kept getting worse and worse. Finally, I decided to just quit, and I will never even think about getting in another hammock again. Oh, they're comfortable for "lounging".. but for me, uncomfortable, and downright painful for sleeping...or should I say, trying to sleep. NOT good for sleeping on my side. They scrunch my shoulders, and press down on the top of my head. No matter what I do. A "flat lay" is impossible for me (yes).

Of course, If I mention this to a hammock true believer, they are sure I'm just doing something wrong, and if only I try this other hammock, or that other hammock, and spend hundreds more dollars, that eventually I MUST find nocturnal bliss like they do.... They proselytize hammocking with a religious zeal, and cannot comprehend that it just doesn't work for everyone.

By all means, try one. It may work for you, but it may not.

I finally got a lightweight camping/hiking cot. Not nearly as light as a hammock, of course (it's about 4 1/2 pounds), but I can sleep on that sucker! SOOOOO much better. You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me get in a hammock again.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.