OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks claybreaker.

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I started out with a Cabelas pack, switched to an Elerbestock w/ rifle scabbard. Best for me yet. After 20 years of DIY hunts to Idaho, southwest of Salmon, I found most hunters legs will only take so much weight in really steep terrain, going uphill. Took a friend, who's never been out of Pa. along 1 year. Pack could of hauled 1/2 an elk. His body couldn't handle more than a short hind quarter. It's hard enough getting the antlers of a big bull out, with or without the cape, if you have short legs, like his. Drug the ground most of the way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mystery Ranch Pintler, Selway, Sawtooth, Terra 50 or Terra 65 on the Guide Light MT frame.

I have a Terra 65 for multi-day hunts and a Pintler (bag only) which I use the frame from the larger pack for day hunts.

As another idea, you can pick up a new Pintler with the Guide Light MT frame at your budget and add the big Beartooth (bag only) if you need something for a week in the backcountry. I went Terrra 65 because it’s a bit cheaper and I’m pretty good about packing lightly. I can get five days out of it quite easily.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I am in my second year with a stone glacier sky 5900 pack and Xcurve frame. I have packed 3 elk out with it. In bivy mode it’s small enough to work as a day pack. When you get your elk down, it will haul as much meat as you can carry. Down side is they are expensive.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have hunted for several years now with an Eberlestock X2, a relatively large daypack, and like it very much. It lets me carry my spotting scope and tripod on the two long compartments where I can access them quickly. It has an aluminum frame, and this greatly adds stability. In addition and very important to me is that I can haul an elk quarter out on the first trip.

I keep in the truck a Kelty pack frame which is specifically designed as a meat hauler, and use it on subsequent trips out. The Eberlestock is not the lightest day pack out there, but it really rides well and is easy to wear, so I really don’t notice the exta weight.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a stone glacier solo 3300 I’ve used the last 3 years. Very simple pack with a load shelf for meat.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Spend your money on licenses and use a Kelty frame. No need for a multi hundred dollar pack. A good day pack and a pack frame is all you need. Elk will hear that big pack on your back while hunting, scraping through trees etc..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by claybreaker
I highly recommend EXO Mountain packs. Great pack, light weight, designed from the beginning to handle heavy loads (think elk meat). They are made in the USA, great warranty if you ever have issues. I've bought 2, first one got stolen, no question of what I was going to replace it with.

Exo Mountain Packs and gear.

Unfortunately they will exceed your dollar limit, used ones are available, if you look around some... or pm me.

Be Safe

I’d second exo mtn gear. Mystery ranch Metcalf is another good option. I like to buy good gear so I’m good for awhile. That’s a better way to save money for tags. Don’t think you can go wrong with exo, mystery ranch or stone glacier if you can work one of them in your budget.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wytex
Spend your money on licenses and use a Kelty frame. No need for a multi hundred dollar pack. A good day pack and a pack frame is all you need. Elk will hear that big pack on your back while hunting, scraping through trees etc..

This^^^..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have the older version of the Eberlestock H2 gunrunner, it’s quite comfortable and has a good storage space, and a lined meat compartment as well as places to strap say another quarter to the pack with a bit of work. The rifle is not easily accessible when in the pack which may be a draw back .
I also put straps down the side to comfortably pack
my bow aswell.

Last edited by AbeJohnsen; 11/12/20.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This makes no sense to me if I’m reading this right and you’re talking about a small day pack that is not capable/comfortable enough to at least cary a quarter.

I’d much rather have a pack that I can take a load out to the truck or camp with me. Both my packs with load shelves compress down to pretty much nothing if I don’t need the space and they cary weight better than any Kelty like frame pack I’ve tried. Walking out empty to get the pack frame seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

Obviously if you’re packed in and camp is not on the way to the truck this could change things.

Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by wytex

This^^^..........

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Any decent day pack will carry out a 1 st load, doesn't have to be a whole quarter. Many times my day pack has hauled out the straps and tenderloins to the truck where I got the frame pack for the quarters. No extra trips. Heck I hauled out my bighorn sheep head with cape in a day pack then went back with a frame for the one last trip out with the spouse and all the meat.

I've seen and heard many a NR hunters in the forest struggling to get through blow down and thick timber with a large pack frame type pack on. If I can hear them for hundreds of yards away you think an elk will ? It's comical how loud some folks are .
The bigger the pack the more crap you'll stuff into it you just don't need. Hope you have strong quads and hammies. If you're going to be back county hunting a lot then yes a larger pack with frame would be good, but for just day hunting not needed.

However spend your money as you wish.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go buy that guys Pintler. Load shelf, decent price, has great adjustments and access, lighterweight, load lifters, doesn't have 43 pockets.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1beaver_shooter, 17Fan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 16gage, 257_X_50, 46 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.