Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This has been a great thread!

Yesterday I filled my Montana tag! Had a 28 yard shot with my 336 ER ! Caliber is 356 win.

It was so close, I first was gonna shoot free hand, I pulled the trigger......no bang just flinch!

I hadn't cocked the hammer...it was on half cock.

Moved to get a rest on the lodge pole a foot away.

The 220 grain Speer went through her....exited the left front leg.

She went 18 yards or so.

What a hoot!

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/07/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I think you nailed it. You missed the heart in the chest cavity.

139 grain 7 mm bullet would not be my choice in a cup and core type bullet. I tried em, in the 7 mm 08... not too impressed. ( 140 NP)

I am glad you find the meat delicious!

Timber Runner....could you describe your dry ageing techniques?
I am super interested please!

Thanks John

You wouldn't shoot an elk at 100 yards with a 139 grain Hornady from a 7mm-08 if that was the cartridge and bullet combination that you had in your hands?

I wouldn't think twice about shooting an elk with that cartridge and bullet combination, but after a miserable recovery, I always aim to break at least one of the shoulders to anchor the animal for an easier follow up shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ralphie
It would be unusual for a elk to go that far with a heart destroyed. It would be unusual for a heart to to be so destroyed that you could find nothing of it. I think your thought about just not finding it is probably correct. I'm also wondering about what the actual distance the elk traveled was, considering your track on OnX includes circling looking for sign. Which that would seem like a pretty normal thing to do when trying to follow a trail.

All that said elk are tough and can do some amazing things. And halting the tracking due to getting dark and not wanting to continue to bump a wounded animal is also a very reasonable decision, that lots of hunters make every year.

And getting follow up shots, especially on a cow in a herd, can also be tough.

It's cool that you didn't give up, found the elk, and that most of your meat is good.
It's not unusual, it's impossible. Without a heart, there's no blood flowing and without blood flowing, the brain shuts down in seconds. As the blood pressure plummets, the animal goes into shock and is dead within yards if not on the spot. I've hit a number of animals in the heart and there are few shots that will put one down much faster, a spine being one of them. I shot a deer this year and hit the aorta. It went about 3 steps and folded.
If this elk truly went 600 yds, the heart was still intact and pumping. Period.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's this thing called Tact.

I was trying it out. Sorry.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
if it stinks in the cooler it goes in the dumpster

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried necking down the 308 cartridge to a 7 08.

I used a Texan gripped BLR.....I was disappointed, Perhaps I can't shoot a Texan grip as well as pistol grips...it sure is that way practicing it may just be my experience....but it is my experience.

I have been around the 7 mag......not impressed. Both me and others....

It's to me all about confidence....I dont get to harvest enough animals a year to do a valid study.

But like Elmer Keith would visit about.....it's nice to eat to the hole and
If in doubt ......get closer.

Like I say.....it's nice to get the hide off them sum beaches before the rumen bloats.....and the bone sour begins. Therefore they need to expire where I can quickly find them. It is my belief engaging the brachial plexus exponentially promotes this result.( as in the shoulder) I am thinking I found the 336 ER my huckleberry......as long as I remember the half cocked hammer deal.

My current hypothesis is to neck Up the 308 case.......more mass, less velocity, makes me focus on getting closer.

I want to find what I kill, and enjoy eating it.

But to each his own......

I am just sharing my views and opinions....

And that is not trying to disparage any one else's thoughts only to perhaps enlighten and entertain.

John

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/10/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My current hypothesis is to neck Up the 308 case.......more mass, less velocity, makes me focus on getting closer.
The 358 Win has been around a long time but it's never been as popular as the 308.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed I'm a loony...

I love the 300 savage/308 it's what I mostly have used.

But I can't post photos.....you can't believe how much shoulder I was able to harvest off this cow shoulder the 220 grain bullet went through.......it's a sample of one , but it resemble the 45/70 muzzleloader shot gun slug shoulders I have necropsied.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/10/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Bottom line: wife got her first elk and the vast majority of the meat is in the freezer, the fried tenderloin for dinner last night was DELICIOUS.

We did have a "lessons learned" for next year:
- She did move to find her first shot, that was a lesson learned from not getting a shot the day prior.
- She should have moved faster to get a second shot
- She should not have taken an off hand shot, but moved more to get a solid rest. I believe a second bullet in the chest would have put that cow down right there (and given us a downhill pack to the truck)

Another lesson would be that whomever can't hit an elk off-hand @ 100yds needs a LOT more practice prior to again having a rifle in their hands afield.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's one foolproof way to know when food has gone bad...

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m not criticizing the OP, but a heart shot elk usually doesn’t usually go very far. Sheit happens....

There's a couple topics like this, so I will give more detail to what happened, what we found etc.

Gun: 7MM-08 shooting off the shelf 139g Interlocks from Hornady.
Shot distance: about 100 yards.
At the shot, the cow froze, among the rest of them. This prevented an immediate follow up as neither my wife nor I could 100% figure out which cow it was.
After a few seconds the herd spun 180 degrees and went back the way they came from, except one cow.
that cow, all I could see via binoculars was one rear leg angled at about 45 degrees like she was struggling to stand. Told my wife to shoot again.
She did, after moving to get an opening and missed (she tried an offhand shot, which was a mistake)
cow SLOWLY walked off about 15 yards and briefly stood there, all either of us could see was the butt end, Wife tried moving for an open angle and cow walked off.
Blood at shot site was great, in a wide splatter pattern so I figured at least the bullet went through.
Where she walked off across snow was EASY to follow. Woods where about 25% snow 75% pine needles as temps had been 70 during the day.
Tracked for about an hour until dark, about 300 yards according to the OnX tracker. Couldn't fine next blood in failing light, I was thinking liver hit so we pulled out
First light, tracked another 250-300 yards (OnX track was not a straight line as we were doing circles looking for blood). Found cow around 9 AM
Entry side bullet hole was seemingly perfect in the armpit creast/shoulder blade, about 1/4 to 1/3 up the body, exit side about 4 inches back from armpit crease/shoulder blade

After doing gutless and bagging the meat, when pulling the inner loins I noticed zero blood in the back of the body cavity and the diaphram was in tact. so I sliced her open and went through the diaphragm. The chest cavity was a bloody mess, here's what I found:

- Entry side lung was a destroyed mess of bloody jelly
- Exit side lung was mostly in tact, I pulled it out and it was hit, the back edge was a ragged mess, but the majority of the lung looked fine.
- I couldn't find anything of the heart.
- liver and guts and diaphragm 100% intact

Did I simply not find the heart and it was essentially a single lung hit? Possible, it would explain how she went that far, but I couldn't find it.

Not having a functional heart may also explain the spotty blood trail, no pump working so no good blood flow. Neither entry or exit hole looked plugged, in fact when I leaned on the chest to move around the cow, you could clearly hear air escaping.

Bottom line: wife got her first elk and the vast majority of the meat is in the freezer, the fried tenderloin for dinner last night was DELICIOUS.

We did have a "lessons learned" for next year:
- She did move to find her first shot, that was a lesson learned from not getting a shot the day prior.
- She should have moved faster to get a second shot
- She should not have taken an off hand shot, but moved more to get a solid rest. I believe a second bullet in the chest would have put that cow down right there (and given us a downhill pack to the truck)

I think we made the right move pulling out. We weren't sure of the shot, couldn't find blood and I was concerned about jumping her. Even in full daylight it took us close to 2 hours to find her. The blood trail had gotten pretty weak and on pine needles in the dark we wouldn't have found her.

So there ya have it, did I miss the heart during the autopsy? Possible, but it's a big thing in a mostly empty chest at that point, could have missed it, but I looked.

I have a picture that shows the entry hole, but don't have an on line picture place so can't link to it

Congrats to your wife on her fine work and to you on the recovery. My guess is you both missed the heart but she did all you could ask. I hunt with my wife and children as well and I agree--having them take an off-hand shot is sketchy at best. I would only do it as last resort myself. Moving in snow, mountain terrain, elevation, and with the stress of a momentary chance of a follow-up, it is a low-percentage shot to take. Don't let her listen to any blow-hards that say otherwise, she did great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya gotta open those elk up and get the air flowing around the meat. Set it up off the ground on criss crossed sticks so air can get around it. For overnight elk, do it now! Open up those big chunks of meat and those back legs need to be deboned and in the shade. 1pm is too late!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with heart shot animals is they tend to haul azz before they keel over. Never seen one go 600 yards, but 50-100 yards has been common.

I also find a huge difference between a little funk and straight up spoiled. Airflow really is key.

Congrats to your wife! Sounds like some good eats!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
A
When you start with the butchering, cut out parts that looks rotten. Try to smell every part during the butchering process.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A guy I was hunting with once shot a caribou cow at about 100 yards. 30-06 I think. She bolted and ran as fast as she could for a good 300 yards before falling over. One whole lung was laying on the ground where she had been shot, the other pretty mangled.

Strange things happen in the land of the midnight sun. And elsewhere. A heart-shot caribou bull (mine) ran about 100 yards in one directiuon away, turned and came back, dying about 50 yards downhill from where he had been hit. He managed to find, die, and fall into a perfect-fit depression with 2 feet of water in it. I claim he did it on pupose for revenge. I'll see if I can find a photo.

A yearling bull moose with a 12 ga slug centered through the big artery under his backbone made it about 100 yards before tippng over, all bled out.

All the advice on meat care applies.

Once you find the damned thing.

Last edited by las; 11/17/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,971
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.