Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
What's happened to Harley-Davidson reliability??

Like motorcycles or anything on two wheels? Please check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaLdyriBKNsUtpgNh1-g6w
Thanks and hope you subscribe!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Something tells me this will be a Leupold thread before long.

My current Leupolds all work fine, on record.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not a single problem with any of my HDs to date - and I've had about 6-7 of 'em since .04. The one I ride the most ('14 Ultra Classic) now has about 46K on the odometer and I've only had routine services performed on it since I bought it.. I'll probably hang onto this one until I can't ride any longer..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My newest Harley is a 1974, so really can't speak to the last 45 years...

The Shovelheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads, Flatheads, were never "reliable" in the sense of turn the key and go like Jap bikes. They were, however, simple enough that a rider could usually keep them running.

I know the early carbureted Evos were pretty bullet proof.

Then came fuel injection and computers.
What could go wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two HD motorcycles. One is twelve years old.

Never a problem.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Something tells me this will be a Leupold thread before long.

My current Leupolds all work fine, on record.

Harley seems to be holding its own.... so far. smile

Like motorcycles or anything on two wheels? Please check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaLdyriBKNsUtpgNh1-g6w
Thanks and hope you subscribe!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you dialed them?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just fired up my 90 fxrs the other day during the warm snap. thing seems to run better every year. probably sell it in the spring though. people in cars scare me too much anymore.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was waiting with bated breath for you to drop another H-D video.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 11/14/20.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Brazos
My newest Harley is a 1974, so really can't speak to the last 45 years...

The Shovelheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads, Flatheads, were never "reliable" in the sense of turn the key and go like Jap bikes. They were, however, simple enough that a rider could usually keep them running.

I know the early carbureted Evos were pretty bullet proof.

Then came fuel injection and computers.
What could go wrong?

Good way of putting about Shovelheads and the rest. Heck my 03 Heritage is fuel injected and it is a running SOB never a hickup as long as the battery is hot.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I went to a harley dealer and bought a turn signal light bulb they charged me $9.99 plus tax.. a month later I was in Radio shack and they had the same bulbs in a plastic bag with 2 bulbs in it made in china for 0.99 cents Fuch Harley... Yes I am still riding a Harley Sportster, I just don't deal with them anymore than I have to..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hubert
I went to a harley dealer and bought a turn signal light bulb they charged me $9.99 plus tax.. a month later I was in Radio shack and they had the same bulbs in a plastic bag with 2 bulbs in it made in china for 0.99 cents Fuch Harley... Yes I am still riding a Harley Sportster, I just don't deal with them anymore than I have to..

Lucky it wasn't a Toyota, you wouldn't even have got the thank you kiss.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

you get robbed buying parts at a stealership no matter what the make of the vehicle is

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by JSTUART

you get robbed buying parts at a stealership no matter what the make of the vehicle is

^^^ This ^^^

Replacement OEM dual beam headlight for a late 70's Yamaha from a Yamaha dealership was priced several times higher than the GM vehicle headlight that was the very same exact headlight but with a GM logo instead of the Yamaha logo.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harley reliability has not been a problem for me (grin)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having owned a carb Harley and fuel injected, I'd much rather have the fuel injected. Just touch the button and go.

as far as reliability, I guess I've been lucky, I haven't had problems with any motorcycle I've owned, but in fairness I swap out about every 3 years so I don't get much wear and tear on any of them.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over 30K on my 04 Road King Custom. Never a problem. Never a problem with the 3 I had before this one either.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I find mine to be very reliable. Brakes, tires, and fluid changes. The turn signal bulb burnt out. Nothing unusual. The stock headlight is a joke though. 2009 Lowrider. An old flashlight is about equal. Got an LED one. All is well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2018 Street Glide and 2019 Ultra Limited in the stable. No problems at all.

I've owned 10 Harleys over the years and the only one that gave me minor problems was the 1987 Sportster 1200. It vibrated so bad that bulbs blew and parts cracked. It also stretched the chain too much. Had to be adjusted at least once a week. A conversion to belt final drive cured both problems.

I seem to love what some folks love to hate, (or are jealous of).

ie; My favorite motorcycles are Harley-Davidsons (I've had Japanese and British bikes too).
my favorite 1911s and rifles are Kimbers (I also have SA, Colt and Dan Wesson 1911s and many other rifle brands).
my favorite scopes are Leupolds (multiple other brands at one time or another).

Do I need some sort of therapy?? smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I had a 77 LowRider. What a dog! And an oil slinging one, at that. I bored and stroked it, changed the cam and gears in the tranny, went to solid lifters, re-jetted the carb, put a belt on to the rear wheel and it ran acceptably. But it still slung oil! No one could fix that. I sold it and 30 years later bought a Victory. It's MUCH faster and responsive than my bored and stroked Harley ever was and all I have to do is push a button and go. Harelys are a way over priced image of conspicuous consumption in my book. Too bad Victory went under so Polaris could focus exclusively on their image of conspicuous consumption, the Indian.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 70 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.