Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
....To put out at our place in Idaho.

Two reasons; One to see what critters are moving around whilst we're not there, and also to see if we have any folks in there who aren't supposed to be.

Most of the pictures will be of white tails as they are numerous, but we also have bear, cougars, and a few elk in the neighborhood, I expect to see them all on the pictures, cuz we've found tracks of all close to the house. One cam will be positioned to watch the only road coming in, and the other to watch the front of the house. Might get a third to watch the meadow off to the opposite side of the house. These may go a month or two in between visits, so they'll need some storage.

I know basically nothing about these trail cams so any info will be appreciated. I don't need the "best" thing out there, just something that will take decent stills or video.

Black Cows Matter!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too much election fallout to help a fella out with some trail cam advise?

Or should I bounce it to another forum?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hide them well, had one disappear on a field access road on our place. Probably poachers spotted it on the way out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey mule shoe. I’ve only used a few cameras, my favorites have been browning. Two models, a few of the full size and A few of the smaller models, can’t remember which models at the moment. They’ve been exceptional for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had several different brands and have been treated best by Browning trail cams.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I did look at a couple different Browning Cams at Bass Pro today.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I second the Brownings, Reconyx, not sure of this spelling, is a more expensive option but are my favorite due to volume of photos per set of batteries.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning trail cams are very nice and easy to setup. I’d use lithium batteries especially if it will be a few months between visits. A 32GB card will hold about 10000 pictures usually.
You can buy or make lock boxes very easily if your worried about theft of them.
You can DIY boxes by using an electrical breaker box of appropriate size. They usually have a tab for a lock also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought 3 Moultries almost 10 years ago, far from top of the line but they work fine. I've had them out for 5-6 months set to just still pictures not video without running out of batteries. These take I think its 8 AAs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Brownings are good cameras....small also. I will second using lithium batteries, especially if they will be out in subfreezing temps. I run a mix of Bushnell, Browning and few older Moultries that are still working fine.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Scheels has the Browning Dark Ops Extreme and Strike Force Extreme on sale right now.

I have the Strike Force and happy with how they work. Seem to have really good battery life.

He went over yonder way
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you have cell service at location , Moultries and spy point have them at 100-120 dollars . The images are plenty clear to see deer and people , They also have a card so if something on your phone picks your interest and you want a better picture you can download the card and view .
The cell cams give you real time pictures which may prove handy .
They are pretty simple to set up also , I am not a computer geek so simple is a factor for me .
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 11/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy who bought 20 acres and put game cameras up. But they kept getting stolen. Finally a game camera was not stolen and got a picture of the thief. Seeing details of the ATV in the pic, my friend figured out the guy's name and address. He contacted detectives in Spokane WA. But the picture was not proof, and my friend never got his trail cameras back, nor the satisfaction the crook being prosecuted. He did get some interesting pics. He had moose. I have never seen moose in Eastern WA.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have cell phone service I went with Spypoint Link-Micro got them for $90 shipped each first 30 days free unlimited after that 100 pictures free....use 3 for surveillance around a wilderness house I get pictures in less than 1 minutes with 3 bar signal....even with deer, bears, raccoons, stray cat do I get close to 100 pictures a month....batteries last 10 months to 40% when I change them it below freezing for 6 of those months alkaline AA from Sam's Club...
Have one in the wood shed in the rafters looking down the driveway signal was blocked by the house and metal roof bought a booster antenna with a 10 cable put it on a pole to improve the signal got it on EBay $18 shipped went from 1 bar to 3....
Last year receive a picture alert truck pulled up the driveway in front of the barn guy got out and check if the door was locked then walk to the house side door....called the sheriff was lucky they were just a couple miles away and caught the guy sent the pictures to the officer he showed them to the guy....his story was he was looking for the owner to ask permission to hunt after driving by 2 No Trespassing signs and opening a gate....he got a trespassing ticket judge gave him a $200 fine....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 11/14/20.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We use the least expensive Tasco's we can buy. With Duracell's an S-D card and ready to mount total is well under 40.00 , and they take great pictures for what we need. I have had batteries last a year or better, and have thousands of photo's on some cameras. They are not top of the line, but very acceptable for our needs.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have a Scheels over in west O about 50 miles away, might take a drive over there today.

Is it worth worrying about 20MP, 18MP, or 16MP?

No cell service. Sometimes if you stand in an 8sq/ft area over by the river you might get something, but not much.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A definitive thread is needed to show which camera and flash is the least detectable by humans.

I have asked multiple times and get a mixed bag of answers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
These guys do probably the most comprehensive review of trail cameras I have seen.

https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/trail-camera-reviews

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think....that Browning Dark Ops Extreme is supposed to be undetectable to the human eye.

Black Cows Matter!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Browning or Moultrie

Spypoint is garbage!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.