Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I had a great hunt yesterday so thought I would share story. Gun season starts today, so I was wanting to get one last bow hunt in. I had glassed this farm the last two afternoons and saw quite a bit of activity. I jumped a big buck and a doe Thursday evening and watched another nice buck breed a doe at sunset. I decided to hunt this farm yesterday afternoon which would be first hunt of the year at this farm. I had been after two nice bucks on a different farm but have probably over hunted it.

I get to farm around 1:50, have a bout 5-600 yard walk to narrow strip of woods separating two cut corn fields. I picked a tree at bottleneck in field near a drainage/thicket that runs down to river. I had just climbed the tree with climbing stand, secured seat to tree, and was in process of screwing bow holder into tree when I caught movement of buck in drainage about 60-70 yards away. I decided to forgo holder and began pulling bow up. Rope was caught on limb, was about to panic, but it finally broke free and I pulled up bow. My backpack was sitting in stand seat, unsecured. It was a cluster. Got bow pulled up, attached release, got range finder out of pack, knocked an arrow, didn’t have time to remove quiver or time to hang it. I quickly ranged a couple of spots as buck began working toward me.

He dropped into ditch at about forty yards, popped out about 30 yards and walked into road bed at 25 yards but was walking behind me behind some limbs. With nothing to lose, I gave him a snort wheeze. He locked up and stood still for a minute. He then turned around and walked toward me! He walked a few steps, took a hard right and headed up the ridge behind my tree. I spun around in tree, found a small window, and popped him at around 20 yards! Sounded good and he ran about 20 yards and stopped. I knocked another arrow. He stood for a moment and began the shaky leg and then fell over!

I’ve killed bigger ones, but I was proud to take him. It was a quick, intense hunt. Good luck to all those with tags to fill.

Attached Images
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty buck, hunter sure has an ugly face.

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
You should see him unmasked!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Amos_Moses
You should see him unmasked!

grin grin

Can't do that. BLM would disown him. whistle

laugh laugh

Now, seriously Congrats on a good hunt and SCORING. !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
A
Thanks for sharing your hunt story with us and the picture looks beautiful.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, AdamT204, 12 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,959
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.