Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mike,
Suggestion.... First uninstall whichever of the 2 AV programs you don't want to keep (McAfee or Norton). Best to have just one as sometimes when one updates it doesn't seem to work or play well with others (treats them as viruses). You may need to track down some special removal software from the manufacturer (Norton does this, don't think McAfee does though).

Then, if you hang on to Norton, open the program (brings up your Norton Protection Center), find the settings for internet security (on mine that is under the tab "Norton Internet Security", then expand the "Settings" group, click on "Personal Firewall", this should allow you to configure the settings. Once there find Internet Explorer and set that to "Custom" (this will take into account your Windows based settings).

When I updated to the latest version of Norton it set that at block and was a PITA to figure out what was wrong. Had to go on my son's 56k dial up machine to track it down.

See if that works for you.

Thanks,
Bob

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll emphasize that you do have many options. It may be that you will need to run something like Hijackthis in one of its variations and then submit a logfile of what's loaded at the outset for analysis of what's kosher & what isn't. That's been done a few thousand times before, so you won't be the first.

Look here for another option, running it in full mode:
http://majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Malicious_Software_Removal_Tool_d4471.html

If all the discovery yields nothing, it may be that you should reinstall your firewall/antivirus program(s).

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somewhere along these lines of pursuit, I'd also do a chkdsk /f from the command prompt (run). You may not get the option immediately, but just indicate you want it done on the reboot.

It could be that some files & such are skewed because of power shortages or who knows what else. The OP System does a pretty good job of figuring that stuff out sensibly, given a clear run at it.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL
Mike,
Suggestion.... First uninstall whichever of the 2 AV programs you don't want to keep (McAfee or Norton). Best to have just one as sometimes when one updates it doesn't seem to work or play well with others (treats them as viruses). You may need to track down some special removal software from the manufacturer (Norton does this, don't think McAfee does though).

Bob

Bob,

To completely unstall Macafee properly, an uninstall/cleanup file from their website is required and it's a bit difficult to find too.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another no-joke, darned good free program that is well worthwhile is RemoveIT Pro 07/13/2007 ( http://majorgeeks.com/RemoveIT_Pro_d5205.html ) I've seen this one do things the big ones don't, and I'm not referring to false positives. I'd certainly give this one a try. I put it on the systems I support and am happy for doing so.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL
Mike,

Bob

Bob,

To completely unstall Macafee properly, an uninstall/cleanup file from their website is required and it's a bit difficult to find too.

MM

MM,
Thanks for letting me know. In a couple of months my mother is dropping her McAfee subscription and going to AVG (no need to keep paying since she is on the computer maybe 5 hours a week). Will have to get to their website when I set it all up for her.

Thanks again,
Bob

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a general sense, I'd advise you to stay clear of Norton on the XP.

I've used Norton stuff from the early 80's and I'll tell you right now that they have a big reputation to live up to, given the past, and they aren't (so sadly) doing it these days nearly as well as they did years ago. I personally dislike McAfee, but I think it has a good product. Kaspersky is very good, being used in Zone-Alarm's Security Suite, which is what I'm using now (it's maybe the best of the suites I've used -- it gets better by the version). There are other fine programs available, so if you have something in mind I encourage you to bring it forth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK here is what worked.

Went to the norton Help center, chose Home/desktop system, Norton Internet Security 2006, chose can't log onto internet while Norton Internet Security on, and followed directions to download an upgrade that would majke it work with Vista and Windows XP.

Had to put the original disc in at one point then it re-ran liveupdate,, restarted etc. Now works fine.

I removed McaFee the way it said to uninstall way back when I first put on Norton, far as I know it's gone! I even did a search in the whole computer last night to see if remnants were on here I could delete, NOTHING showed.

Lesson learned look at the source first next time.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to the norton Help center, chose Home/desktop system, Norton Internet Security 2006, chose can't log onto internet while Norton Internet Security on, and followed directions to download an upgrade that would majke it work with Vista and Windows XP.

I'm happy it worked. It's obvious they've had the same problem before...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This will help.......................

[Linked Image]

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you got it......can be very aggravating.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

mama mia!

Holy smokes!

Goodness gracious! shocked

cry

wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,793
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.