Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

The scent of a fresh bait slick is ANISE. I don’t know where cucumber and watermelon are coming from. Unless that’s a west coast thing. Like the nasty oysters there taste.

I guess that'd be subjective. Lots of folks who fish for bass and blues describe a sweet smell when fish were about and guess what? There's no mention of ANISE in any article or post I could find, but lots describing melons and/or cucumber.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85423

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/286700-smelling-the-fish/

https://www.capecodsportsmen.com/bluefish-fishing-charters/

On smelt: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-fish-that-smells-like-cucumber-1.22153

I know what I smell when I smell it. But then I've only been chasing bass and the like in the ocean for 40 some years. I'll be sure to tell my nose next time it's not a melon, cucumber or other sweet organic smell I am getting, but ANISE! wink

I do agree with you for the most part on WC oysters. I've had some good ones fresh out of the ocean from CA to BC, but in general have found them less tasty than EC varieties as a whole.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I seriously want to head over to Japan to fish for bait. Heck see if I can the fish that bait eat...

Micro fishing for Tanago. Using the traditional method for Ayu fishing. Then head on up into the mountains for Amago, Yamame and Iwana. Now it seems like I'd have to try fishing for Pond Smelt...

I've river, stream, lake and ocean fished in Japan, but done not nearly enough. The bizarre 'pool fishing' in the city doesn't qualify...

I like your attitude on being willing to fish for and enjoy the chase with just about anything in the fish realm, but I draw the line at quarry in the 1-2 *cm* class. smile Not ruling it out entirely, mind, but I have tanago way low on my list. Interesting recent NHK video here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019096/

Most here other than you and maybe a few others probably aren't familiar with the traditional method of fishing for ayu, or 'sweetfish', but it's pretty cool. As you know, I'm sure, ayu are very territorial, and will vigorously attack any perceived finned intruders in their area in rivers and such. The technique that ayu fishermen use involves a hook set into another fish, ayu or otherwise. It's not intended as a hook by which the defending ayu gets stuck in his mouth as something it's trying to eat, but a hook intended to snag the 'defending' ayu as it smacks and/or smashes into the offending fish to get it out of its territory, and then gets hooked by contact. Couple vids.

I have a number of traditional bamboo rods given to me by my wife's grandmother's sister, who had them in their family home as long as she can remember, and she's in her 90s. They belonged originally to her dad, who was an avid fisherman. They're beautifully made, built very well and wear lacquer on parts. All I own are multiple-pieced with up to 6 sections. The largest I have is all of 25 feet long when assembled. I've yet to try then out fishing, but some day. A few of them, I was told, are around 100 years old. How cool would it be to catch a wild New England brookie with a 100 year old hand-made Japanese bamboo rod? Very, I think. But then I'll probably break the damn thing my first outing... smile

I was actually planning on a couple of fishing trips in Japan this year, but the C19 put the kibosh on those plans. The next time I'm over, I will be fishing, however. Thanks for the memory jog, Scott. When I do get a couple trips under my belt next time over, I'll share what I found if you like. Cheers.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/15/20.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton,

if you ever do get one of those old rods out on the water, I definitely hope you share pics with us. That would be one of the coolest things I'd ever see.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been fishing as long as yourself, east coast of US. Lake, stream, river, ocean. Salt, fresh, ICE, brackish. It was about 20 years ago when the realization finally hit me why sooooo many plastic baits are infused with anise flavor. Yeah, I guess you do see some “watermelon” plastic baits too. But I always thought that was a color pattern - not an implanted flavor/scent. Maybe though...

It occurred to me over a massive ball of rainbow smelt getting crushed by landlocked salmon and togue. Once my nose made the connection, I started recognizing it almost anywhere large quantities of live bait were present in nature. The bait must be live, and in clean water. The essence of the aroma clearly (to me) is of anise. And fish, of course. Like I said, why else would it be probably the first and most popular scent infusion in plastic baits? Far and away. I wondered on why grandfather had “licorice” flavor rubber worms in the 70’s, almost as soon as I could start to think logically. lol.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 11/15/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But I will concede that most all varieties of west coast oysters I have consumed taste and smell of a mixture of various melons and/or mown grass. Not to my liking but to each their own. I think it depends on where you born and first tasted or grew up tasting. They couldn’t be more different.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Smoked hooligan is very good - head, guts and all.

Pickled and smoked herring is not to bad either.

Never tried Pacific Sand Lance (needlefish)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To cool Leighton!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What'd you folks use for coating them? Rice flour? Some sort of tempura batter? Just in case I get over to the coast for some netting. I've used Italian bread crumbs, of course.

Just regular old flour, bud. If we were deep frying, then would've used panko a la tempura.

The fresh ocean run smelt we get here in winter smell, believe it or not, a bit like cucumber. Not fishy at all.

As far as the bait comments, actually, many types of smelt are indeed used all the time as bait. So yeah, smelt are bait. For those who don't know a thing about fresh ocean run smelt and eating them and how wonderful they are though are, well, your loss.

The world of fine finned eats doesn't begin and end with the likes of canned tuna sandwiches on white bread, or in a casserole. For some of us, anyway... wink

Bluegill, Redear and many other perch make excellent flathead bait and plenty of folks scoop sardines out of the can with saltines...fish is fish unless it's surrounded by fur.

Dave

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
do you gut them and cut off their head when you eat them ??? are they the small fish that koreans put in their Kimchee?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Leighton,

if you ever do get one of those old rods out on the water, I definitely hope you share pics with us. That would be one of the coolest things I'd ever see.

I'll do that, Geno. I have both rods and their holders, which are wood and also hand made and are very neat in their own right.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hubert
do you gut them and cut off their head when you eat them ??? are they the small fish that koreans put in their Kimchee?

Not necessary to do all that cleaning work. Don't know about fish in Kimchee.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
The bait must be live, and in clean water. The essence of the aroma clearly (to me) is of anise. And fish, of course. Like I said, why else would it be probably the first and most popular scent infusion in plastic baits? Far and away. I wondered on why grandfather had “licorice” flavor rubber worms in the 70’s, almost as soon as I could start to think logically. lol.

Fair enough. Maybe my sense of smell is not as acute as yours. When I think of the smell of anise, all I can think of is a steaming hot bowl of Vietnamese pho. wink

Since you sound about the same age, you'll probably recall that some old timers would swear by spraying WD-40 on baits. Allegedly, at least at some point, that product had some sort of fish oil component in it, but I recall reading into it once and read that was a myth.

On oysters, I've done blind taste tests a bunch of times at oyster bars. As far as N/A varieties, the best I've eaten are from the east coast from the Carolinas to the Canadian Maritimes. Above and beyond always the best to my palate from this part of the world. Then those from further south and the Gulf coast rank below that. Then those from the PNW and BC. By far, however, the very best in the world I've had were from Japan's main northern island of Hokkaido. I brought back a bunch to Tokyo after a stag hunt some years ago. Mrs. KG's grandma prepared a bunch a bunch of different ways for us. Deal was that if I brought them and shucked them, she'd prepare them. Best deal I ever made. wink

Sorry for the thread derail, Geno. This dude Harry keeps getting me thinking about oysters! smile

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Neat and I'd love to try those. Those are salted/brined, however, not pickled, if I'm not mistaken.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by GeoW
To cool Leighton!

Thanks, GeoW. Glad you liked.

Hubert, I can't speak for others but I do gut and gill my smelt, but keep the heads. Or, I guess you could say I head them, but with my teeth, as in the one pic...

Other small fish in Japan are eaten whole. Guts, heads, gills, bones, everything and they're delicious. There's one that's a favorite that's sold/served seasonally that is whole and the prize ones loaded with eggs. They're about the size of an index finger, some a little bigger, and are traditionally broiled or grilled. Damn, what's the name of thjose little gummers now? Ah, yes, 'shishamo'! And hey, whaddaya' know. They're a type of smelt. Back on track, Geno! smile

https://www.thespruceeats.com/grilled-shishamo-smelt-2031542

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Derails for oyster stories of the Japanese grandma type are always allowed on my threads.

As if I have any control anyway. I'm expecting a devolution into politics soon. Oysters are the least of my worries. And tied in with mention of a stag hunt on Hokkaido and pics...............I love it.

Someone on the food forum mentioned tortillas the other day and I had to make a batch of corn ones this morning. This thread has me wanting some fresh seafood for sure. Too bad I live a 6 hr drive from the ocean. cry

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Where do I sign up?

In it is contentment

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,268
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.