Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Other than Timney and triggertech, what options are there for after market LH triggers for the 700? I'm talking sub $200 triggers for a hunting rifle. Stainless preferably.

Last edited by bbassi; 11/11/20.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Jewell with safety and bolt release is around $230 or so. Don't know if Remington parts will work. A similar Shilen standard stainless trigger is $210. You can have someone like Neil Jones rework the factory trigger for $80.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifle Basix. I wasn't impressed at all with the fellow's customer service following up on a trigger that didn't perform up to expectations. That was a sample of one since I never bought another and was at least ten years ago so I don't know the situation now.

Fwiw, I've been very happy with two Timney triggers on LH M700's.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can’t imagine why anyone would go with anything but a triggertech. I have them all except the jewel and the triggertech is by far my favorite. Break like glass feel and they click adjust for pull weight

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Apart from Timney, I have only owned one Jewell trigger. A former bench gun. The Jewell trigger was set so light that I could not shoot it accurately. At my place, if it says Remington on the action, it says Timney on the trigger. Good luck with your search.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As you can tell, opinions are singular and varied.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like Jewell triggers but would not rule out the Trigger Tech. I have not tried the TT at a light setting but at 2&3/4 lbs it is good and nearly as good as the Jewel. The Jewel shines at lighter settings than I use for hunting rifles. The Trigger Tech handles dirt and dust better than the Jewel. The Shilen is good but since the price went up I just get a Jewell.

I didn't care for the Rifle Basix for a Ruger as it was basically the old adjustable style of factory trigger, have not tried the Remington version. Timney's are fine but going to TT instead now.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Big fan of my TT Special, Flat shoe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
Other than Timney and triggertech, what options are there for after market LH triggers for the 700? I'm talking sub $200 triggers for a hunting rifle. Stainless preferably.
Most of the suggestions are pretty good; six of one, half-a-dozen of another. I would go with the one where I could get the best deal. "No Off Season" was offering a deal via Predator Masters a few years ago for Jewells at $195 a pop. And unless I was severely constrained by finances, I wouldn't bother with a factory trigger no matter how well it could be tuned.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
805 tune.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Most of the suggestions are pretty good; six of one, half-a-dozen of another. I would go with the one where I could get the best deal. "No Off Season" was offering a deal via Predator Masters a few years ago for Jewells at $195 a pop. And unless I was severely constrained by finances, I wouldn't bother with a factory trigger no matter how well it could be tuned.

If you can't tell the difference why pay the difference? Just askin.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

Maybe I missed it, but who said they couldn’t tell the difference?

My Christensen Mesa has a Triggertech trigger on it. It’s OK, better than a stock 700. Perfectly adequate for a hunting rifle, but no way is it as nice as the few Jewells I have handled.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

My Christensen Mesa has a Triggertech trigger on it. It’s OK, better than a stock 700. Perfectly adequate for a hunting rifle, but no way is it as nice as the few Jewells I have handled.

Suggesting to avoid a well-tuned factory trigger implies that just about everyone can tell the difference. If cost is an object a good tuned factory trigger is quite acceptable. It's like saying everyone should have a rifle built on a custom action because no factory rifle will ever be quite as good.

It was suggested as an option since the OP is apparently concerned about cost. Just because a certain option isn't an option for one person doesn't mean that it won't be a good choice for someone else.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 11/14/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No one. There's an idiot who likes butthole stocks in catch-me-fv°ck-me colors and tries to read more into basic statements. But unless someone quotes him, I don't pay much attention.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why are you looking for anything but Timney? They work perfectly and are not bank breakers. You can usually pick one up on here, if you are not in a big hurry. I think that the Jewel is more aimed at the target trade. I have several Timneys on my hunting rifles, as well as a couple re-built Remingtons that are spot on.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tend to lean Timney myself.

S
S
The triggertechs are an awesome trigger!

Adventure Oriented!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like my safety that locks the bolt closed, can any of them work with my safety?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badwolf
I like my safety that locks the bolt closed, can any of them work with my safety?

The earlier Shilen triggers do. I had a Remington Jones tuned left hand trigger with locking safety up for sale here with no takers. I was told that this place was the creme de la creme of places to sell them.

Here is an older Remington trigger with "short" safety.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safety by itself.

Safety that locks the bolt when engaged. The Shilens of 20 years ago came without a safety or bolt release lever. You had to cannibalize the factory trigger for those parts.They now come with or without both, but I don't see a pic of one on their website. It's a good feature; not sure why Remington discontinued it. Also I understand that those older Remington triggers can't be fit onto a current production action.

Your best bet would be to call Shilen and ask.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badwolf

It looks like the Shilens still could if you have one of those "long" safeties. Too bad the other side isn't shown.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/...EN_TRIGGER_STANDARD_STAINLESS_Safety.jpg

If you search for pics of the others mentioned here you will find that none of them appear to be much [if at all] compatible with older Remingtons. I bought one new in 1975 that had the "long" safety.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 11/17/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.