-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, I always did fine without designer hunting clothes but since I took the plunge I’ve found it’s really about spending as much money as I can to get out of my house for a change of scenery, prance around the woods taking selfie’s and just looking fabulous, most importantly wink

It really is silly how much they cost but it is good clothing and there’s a reason people are willing to pay for it (aside from the reasons above). My brother was gifted a set of Sitka crap a couple years ago and it was nice. I looked at the cost and was like you gotta be schitting me... I can’t help but make fun of it either, nice as it is

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntinaz
prance around the woods taking selfie’s and just looking fabulous

It's 'Mahvelous', dahling....

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/10/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tee hee hee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Not me, I cross fences in Kuiu pants just like I do in Walmart pants; clumsily. Barbed wire does in fact rip them both. I’ll see how they hold up to embers in a few weeks;)

Lol.......Duct tape is a essential item to have in one's pack.......

Plus it really makes the designer camo “pop.” My duct taped Kuiu pants are the rough equivalent of Nelly’s face bandaid

#baller

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
It's entertaining to me watching guys wearing Sitka and Kuiu standing around a fire to get warm....never getting close enough to feel any heat for fear of a popping ember landing on their pants.

Better yet is watching them cross a barb wire fence.

add Banded to that list if you're a waterfowl hunter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've worn a lot of garbage and a lot of high dollar garb but after being through more than a dozen pair of waders, I won't talk bad about my banded breathable waders. Mine are going on their 3rd season and I've never had a pair last more than one season prior to this pair.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never owned any until Cabelas gear turned into Redhead chit !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I own quit a bit of Sitka. The cost borders on ridiculous so I either buy it used or heavily discounted.
Beats the snot out of wool for serious use in the mountains and the incinerator set is the best gear I've ever worn for stand hunting.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/14/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tried some Kuiu rain gear this season (solid color/non camo) Held up well to 25ish days of rut hunting so far. Backpack day hunts up Mtns. No complaints other than price.

Last edited by AKduck; 11/14/20.

Yup.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I used to spend weeks at a time in the mountains both climbing and working. I learned that top quality clothing was well worth the price and could make the difference between life and death as well as enjoying the experience a lot more. If you shop around and don't care about camo you can go 1st class for reasonable $.

Hunting opportunities are special and gear that makes you happy is part of the enjoyment and can make you more effective. I have been working and playing outside for more than 60 years and don't miss the days of wool and rubber at all, modern state of the art gear is amazing.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just depends. I lived in AZ for a bit and you could be ridiculed if you were not wearing Walmart brands. But in the hunting environments where it really matters often it is not only the high dollar hunting brands but frequently climbing/mountaineering brands are used.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I previously posted this on another thread, worth repeating.

I wore Sitka Stratus under Sitka Incinerator on a late season Illinois bowhunt. Temps around zero.

Can't say I was completely warm, but I never considered climbing out of the tree either.

Do a lot of hills here in the Adirondacks. The way Sitka (and Kuiu) stretch as you move equals less energy expended while I climb or walk. I wore my woolies one afternoon after acquiring Sitka and have never gone back to them. They seemed to fight me the whole day and I was noticibly more tired at the end of the day.

I'm fit, train for half Ironmans.

Love Sitka.

40% off at LEOADVENTURES.COM depending upon your profession.

I teach, the discount applies.

Ordered a set of Kuiu Chugach rain gear this week as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
171farm Offline OP
OP Offline
Prices are crazy but considering you will have them for years if you divisor out over the years or days out in the woods the price isn’t that bad. Pulse when your spending $4-10k on a hunt why wear your Goodwill find clothes and then freeze out on the hunt.

Everyone is different and feels differently on how they spend their money. Thanks for all the positive posts guys

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sitka and Kuiu layering systems work. They are ridiculously expensive but they do work as advertised. I just returned from a 10 day Alaskan Moose hunt which I had mostly Kuiu but some Sitka gear mixed in. Weather was terrible and we had a great hunt, because my clothes kept me comfortable the whole time. I have worn Sitka at Elk camp since it first came out, I actually prefer the old Mothwing Mimicry pattern on the original stuff. I own quite a bit of both, which has all been bought on sale or used on ebay or the old Cabela's bargain cave. When Sitka first came out I watched pieces on ebay and knew what it went for. I was at Cabela's in the bargain cave and they had some crazy sale on clothing there reducing the price to about 1/3 of what it cost new. I bought everything they had for Sitka gear and kept what fit me and sold the rest on ebay, which paid for what I kept. I miss the bargain cave. If you watch classifieds like here on the fire you can put together a good set for half the price.

Last edited by jdunham; 11/15/20.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kuiu has 25-40% off selected items right now plus $50 off and free shipping on orders over $250

Plus if you sign up through Active Junky first you’ll get 12% cash back via check or PayPal in 90 days. Not bad and the clothes are great, I do love them and I look like a prince

Last edited by huntinaz; 11/15/20.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Watch camofire.com as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Camofire has cost me lots of money. Comfort is underrated. Most of my hunting with in rain gear with a base layer underneath.

Yup.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have some Sitka stuff from previous sponsor while working as a camera man. It has been hunted in hard and held up well Back then I couldn’t have afforded it, but was thankful it was given to me

Have some Kuiu as well. Stuff has been very durable and I wear less bulk but stay warm. Bought it on sale which is even better

Some days I hunt in wrangler or Levi hiking style pants, and a carhart or camo hoodie. Some days Sitka or Kuiu, some days jeans and a t shirt.

I don’t judge people by their choice in camo. Some can’t afford expensive camo, but are dang good hunters. Some can and suck. Just the way of the world.

But I will say Kuiu and Sitka make quality gear. It’s just expensive. If it’s worth it depends on your budget and expectations

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Have some Sitka stuff from previous sponsor while working as a camera man. It has been hunted in hard and held up well Back then I couldn’t have afforded it, but was thankful it was given to me

Have some Kuiu as well. Stuff has been very durable and I wear less bulk but stay warm. Bought it on sale which is even better

Some days I hunt in wrangler or Levi hiking style pants, and a carhart or camo hoodie. Some days Sitka or Kuiu, some days jeans and a t shirt.

I don’t judge people by their choice in camo. Some can’t afford expensive camo, but are dang good hunters. Some can and suck. Just the way of the world.

But I will say Kuiu and Sitka make quality gear. It’s just expensive. If it’s worth it depends on your budget and expectations

Good post...

I quit judging what folks can do in the field a longtime ago after looking at them and what they wear and don't wear. Some old school folks make fun of the brand name guys. The brand name guys make fun of the Carhartt crowd. Both can be killers. It's the man.....

I wear a mix of about everything. The Kuiu stuff is very nice and I'm thankful for it on difficult hunts and backpack hunts. And I don't care about sparks or barbed wire. It's got more holes from catclaw and mesquite than any of that stuff...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I used to spend weeks at a time in the mountains both climbing and working. I learned that top quality clothing was well worth the price and could make the difference between life and death as well as enjoying the experience a lot more. If you shop around and don't care about camo you can go 1st class for reasonable $.

Hunting opportunities are special and gear that makes you happy is part of the enjoyment and can make you more effective. I have been working and playing outside for more than 60 years and don't miss the days of wool and rubber at all, modern state of the art gear is amazing.

mike r

mike ...I dont want camo....what are some brands you like.....bob

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I really don't care what other people spend their money on. If it's what you want, have at it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.