Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tomorrow (11/15) is the opening day of Michigan deer season. For the first time in nearly 40 years I'm not going. Our area has weather forecast of 25mph sustained winds at daybreak with gusts to 45 mph. Supposed to accelerate during the day. This makes those big trees just too damn dangerous (lots of big trees and dead limbs).

I'm kinda responsible for setting dad (age 85) up and BIL. None of us are happy about it, we have all been fortunate to kill a lot of deer. We are just going to postpone for a day or two.

For those of you going out, best wishes, and be safe.

405wcf

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Always smart to be safe. I will be giving a shot in the morning though, we will see how it lasts

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I wish I would go. My dad and I promised we would go in 1993. Dad is gone now and I still have not gone.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck to you.

Hunted in winds today up to 55 mph. It was sporty.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I sat in my elevated deer blind (house) until noon. I heard but a few isolated shots. One of which was a neighbor who bagged a deer. Good for him!

I just came in from helping my wife put all her chickens in the coop. The wind is gusting to 40 or 50 mph.

USMC Distinguished Marksman (Rifle)
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
CMP Distinguished .22 Pistol
Average hunter, at best... smile

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I managed to take a 9 point with the revolver first thing before the wind ramped up. Took the afternoon off with the wind being what it is. Back at it tomorrow morning.

405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right now blowing 24 with gusts to 37. Supposed to back off to 15 overnight, dad and I going out in the morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
I wish I would go. My dad and I promised we would go in 1993. Dad is gone now and I still have not gone.

I'm from Michigan and I still never go back to hunt. I should, relatives ask me if I want to go every time I see them. I just never get around to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First time in over 25 years I am not going to deer camp in Alcona County. I am of an age that makes me a prime candidate for Covid 19. Lot of guys from different parts of Michigan and even out of state. I just cannot take a chance,.
I cannot bring something home to my wife. It has been on my mind every waking minute, I am really depressed. But what can I do. I think about being alone in my blind as I have for last three decades and I know that is safe. But
then it is back to the cabin with all my long time friends who are younger. The drinking, the cooking and chatting up deer stories in front of the big stone fireplace. Their is no way to distance and no one is going to wear a mask.
Damn Covid, it has taken away what I have waited all year for. I don't have all that many deer camps left. I just want to see my friends and talk about the good old days and maybe shoot a nice buck.

Sad in Michigan, 300Savage

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I hear you 300savage, it's not the same here too, have guys from Ohio and down state, we are trying to stay 6 ft. Or so but hard to load deer ect. Some of the guys past this year, just not the same. I'm a bit bummed, I hit a nice buck this morning but didn't find it. Back at it tomorrow tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It blew like hell all day. My stand was a' rockin'.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Similar to 300 Savage, I’m missing the second opener in 37 years. The other one I was deployed. I’ve been traveling for work and I’d be in close contact with a number of high risk older folks that I care about. I’m not going to take the risk of giving it to them. Thought about hunting locally, but I’d never seen thunderhail and didn’t want to sit in it.

Old70

405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I wish you peace with that.

For so many of us the family and friend component is the part of hunting we truly value. In October of 2018 I was at a hunting dinner with two buddies and talk turned to the upcoming deer season and deer camp with dads. The dad of one of the guys didn't make it to opening day. The other guy lost his dad the following year. I am sure I can count the opening days left with my dad on one hand. I want to appreciate every minute.

The good news is that after season last year he had me drive him to Randy's Guns in Bad Axe (the starting place of the 450 Bushmaster in the Ruger bolt action). Dad bought a new new Ruger Hawkeye, walnut with a 24" stainless barrel ( I believe not cataloged by Ruger). His comment was "I don't know if I will live long enough to use it, but I have it!" Well he's going to hunt with it in the morning.

405wcf

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was out in the 50 mph gusts in the UP, and connected with a nice 8 point that was chasing a doe. The 143 ELDX did its job in the Gusty cross wind at 190 yards!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 405wcf

I wish you peace with that.

For so many of us the family and friend component is the part of hunting we truly value. In October of 2018 I was at a hunting dinner with two buddies and talk turned to the upcoming deer season and deer camp with dads. The dad of one of the guys didn't make it to opening day. The other guy lost his dad the following year. I am sure I can count the opening days left with my dad on one hand. I want to appreciate every minute.

The good news is that after season last year he had me drive him to Randy's Guns in Bad Axe (the starting place of the 450 Bushmaster in the Ruger bolt action). Dad bought a new new Ruger Hawkeye, walnut with a 24" stainless barrel ( I believe not cataloged by Ruger). His comment was "I don't know if I will live long enough to use it, but I have it!" Well he's going to hunt with it in the morning.

405wcf

Hope your dad gets a big ol buck!

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I took a nice 7 pt. Yesterday, had a good inch of snow, on the ground was nice day to Hunt.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty windy and wet Sunday morning. Saw 4 does, a spike, and a small 6 Sunday night. Connected with this 10pt yesterday morning just before 8

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I did not see a deer on the opener.
Saw a couple traveling at warp7 speed as passed by Mon.
Tues saw nothing again. Came home.
Nephew and I have adjoining 40s between White Cloud and Big Rapids.
With public land on touching three sides and neighbors doing a lot more hunting
it is not the great spot is was 30 years ago. The public land is hammered by local baiters during
archery season and with no acorns this year the deer were even more desperate for the bait piles.

I will go back up but just for day trips as the season progresses.

Also two of us in the woods for 3 days, we saw zero squirrels----no acorns or beech nuts.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 11/18/20.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I did not see a deer on the opener.
Saw a couple traveling at warp7 speed as passed by Mon.
Tues saw nothing again. Came home.
Nephew and I have adjoining 40s between White Cloud and Big Rapids.
With public land on touching three sides and neighbors doing a lot more hunting
it is not the great spot is was 30 years ago. The public land is hammered by local baiters during
archery season and with no acorns this year the deer were even more desperate for the bait piles.

I will go back up but just for day trips as the season progresses.

Also two of us in the woods for 3 days, we saw zero squirrels----no acorns or beech nuts.

Good luck Tim, you’ve had your share of bad luck!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got up at 4:30am looked at the weather 25-30 mph with 50 + mph gust and rain when back to bed...way to dangerous to be in the woods....

30 some years ago in the western UP had a front moving threw winds in mid-after noon were gusting in the 50 + mph decided it was time to head back to camp....got back to my 4 wheeler backed up to turn a round a gust came threw blew down a 18" in diameter 40' maple landed right where I was parked....

I love to deer hunt...hate to die....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.