Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Troy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
the s/s Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. My baby is a S&W Model 629 Classic Hunter with the unfluted cylinder and the 8 3/8" barrel, scoped. I often refer to it as Dirty Harry's wet dream. But I have to admit that if Harry had shot Ruger's, an SBH would reside here. Some day I'll have it anyway but until then I'll sing its praises.<p>Many years ago a friend caught the contagious .44 mag. fever after shooting my Smith. In time we found a good deal on a NIB SBH. Now refinement and Ruger aren't often mentioned together and this Ruger's trigger was testament to that. It took three men and a small boy to fire that monster. And when you did get her to go off the back of the trigger guard would invariably bite your middle finger. So the first mod was a set of Pachmayr's and I recommended he take it to a good 'smith and have that trigger lightened and smoothed. With a little TLC those Ruger's will shoot very well. <p>They are also very strong. The SBH will easily digest the strongest safe loads you can build allowing you to hunt any game in NA, except big bears, where I think a good rifle is a more appropriate choice. Many people often tout double action revolvers as being faster for followups. Not necessarily so IMHO. With practice a SA can actually be faster, regardless, we are talking about hunting, not suppressive fire. Add a scope to the integral mounts on the barrel rib and she's noticeably tamer anyway.<p>All of these attributes together spell simplicity and durability. You can't do much better for hunting hard. Good luck, Troy.

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The purest big game hunting revolver is:<p>A revolver in either .44 Rem Mag or .45 Colt with proper hand loads not more than about a 6" barrel (5-7.5 inches). Elmer Keith had this well defined as per his input on the S&W 29 or the Ruger Super Blackhawk.<p>No scopes, no slings, no bottle-necked cartridges, or barrel long enough to require wheels or tripods.<p>A big game handgun is at home as the tool of a skilled pistol shot and stalker of game.

Fish Springs
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger SBH Bisley model in .44Mag or .45Colt.
The Bisley grip handles the recoil in a more germaine manner,and sets the thumb up for cocking for the second shot,with the recoil.
Lower hammer spur is less likely to get snagged and adds a touch of legance to already classic lines.
I'm on the second barrel in mine.A Shilen with the cyl gap set at tight .003.
Cylinder face was erroded so the cylinder got faced .015.
fore/aft cyl slop was done away with by boring the base pin hole oversize 7/8 of the way through, and inserting and silver soldering a filler bushing that was overlong in place,and then turned to fit with .002 fore and aft play.
Yes I now mike rim thickness,and cannot shoot some lots of Rem. brass.It's worth it to have almost zero headspace and a more supported case web.
The old girl with 23gr of H110 under a 270 Gold dot will group in the 3-4" category at 100m,and kicks them out at 1350FPS.
I wont post my 300gr load...it's not for everyone,especially M29's!
The .480 Ruger is a yawn when ya realize SBH sickos have been getting that level of performance for years from a .44 and better CSD.
The old .45Colt in a SBH makes the .454 Casull seem pointless.
The new SBH hunter is a sight for sore eye's.
It's about time they brought it back!
Now just put Elmers #5 grip on it......
Cheers all!!!!!!
E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You guys must be getting ready for a new years party early! (said in jest) - my ruger SBH in .454 casull is a dream! yea- it kicks, but its accurate, dependable, and if I decide to kill something with it, it usually doesn't stay alive very long. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

Red Baron
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I dunno guys. I've yet to see a trigger that can match my 60's vintage Smith 29. Breaks at 2.25 lbs., and you never feel it move.
With a 4 inch barrel, she weighs 43 ozs.
With a 240 gr. Norma steel jacket, over 23 grs. of H4227, I'd like to see the critter it wouldn't handle.
Puts three in an inch @ 25 yds.
Very easy to live with. I like to carry it when I'm out after birds when the big game season is on. E

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I sure love my Freedom Arms 454...6" Field Grade...nothing fancy, just functional. I had it Mag-Na-Ported (dual traps on each side of the muzzle) and it can now be shot with one hand if I wanted to. It really helped with the 370gr LBTGC load. There is no noticable increase in the noise, either. This is one sweet little belt gun that always gives me a warm fuzzy. It is handy and portable and the workmanship is second to none.<p>Rick

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've been hoping that Ruger would start offering the SBH hunter model again. Hope it's still around when I can scratch up the money to get one. It's my idea of a perfect hunting revolver.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer my Redhawk with the factory scope rings . The grip shape handles recoil much better for me than the SBH . My old super would always pound my knuckles with heavy loads . With a little extra weight and the grips , sometimes it's hard to beleive I'm shooting a .44 mag with the Redhawk . I also love the scope mounts and can switch back and forth between scope and irons depending on the situation .<p>I bought this Redhawk used and it apparently was tuned up by someone who knows his business . It is just as smooth with just as nice a trigger pulls as any Smith you can get ahold of ...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The big .45's get the nod. I have two .454 Casulls, which I have used for deer. Too much penetration, in my book. Dead deer, but little tissue damage due to high velocity and stout bullets. My current favorite is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 Colt, which I am handloading for- 260 gr. bullets at 1250 fps, and very manageable recoil. My next handgun deer hunt will be with the Ruger.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by E4E:
<strong>The new SBH hunter is a sight for sore eye's.
It's about time they brought it back!
Now just put Elmers #5 grip on it......
Cheers all!!!!!!
E4E</strong><hr></blockquote>
Pat, a #5? Please, don't torture me like that! I've wanted that design for years!
My answer? Combine a stainless Bisley with a stainless BH grip, and have one simular. I've yet to do this, but did find a local welder who said he'd do it if I bought the spare grip assys.
Now, if only they'd make the Hunter in 45LC. ~~~Suluuq

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
XP-100 mid-grip,in 7-08. That's my idea of "pure",though it doesn't do much revolving(grin)...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
taurus raging bull in 454 casull must be the purest hunting revolver. it is the purest for hunting cause it isn't any good for other stuff like looking at.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
Troy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here I thought you'd want it improved 'Stick. I had a Lone Eagle in 7mm-08. It really liked 140 gr. Ballistic Tips. Some day though, a mid-grip XP in 7mm-08 Imp. with a 4X Leupy. Good luck, Troy.

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Suluuq,
The Ruger Bisley grip is two snake hairs from a #5,and it's close enough for me.
The only one that offers a real #5 Is Grovers custom...
Did you say "Stainless Bisley grip frame"...
Where? and I DON'T care how much!!!!!!!
If you have one,or know where one is and ain't tellin,I'll come up there and track you down..shouldn't be hard,I just gotta ask for the "Guy with the biggest collection of Jenny Hewitt videos in Alaska".
Fess up!!!!!!
I just need one,JUST ONE!!!!!!!!!
ah..oops,it would seem it's back to therapy for E4E and his O/C pistol disorder...
Sorry ya had to see that folks,just be glad it wasn't a left handed Schmidt-Rubin!
[img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]
Cheers!
E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red Baron,
Who did your conversion? Bowen? Linenbaugh?
The Casull absolutely ROCKS!Don't get me wrong,but the Old Colt gets soooo close I don't think the extra ooomph makes a difference.
Then again,if ya like the extra,roll in it and be happy!!!!!!!<p>Emericus,
Not bashing the 29 for it's wonderful attributes man.Out of the box S&W revolvers have the slickest,and best tuned actions,and the triggers are without a doubt what the standard is.
I love S&W's feel,and watchmaker made like precision.But I find that that aspect is also a weakness.Crank the loads up to the levels some of us sicko's do,and they throw in the towel.
They were never made for the kind of stupidity that Rugers handle with a large margin of safety.
It's like taking a Ferrari off road,AND pulling a trailer..That job calls for a 4WD pickup truck.
Refine the truck a bit so it handles and ya got the SRH/SBH,though it will never feel as good as the Ferrari.
Not bashing man,just pointing out what MY ultimate is.I couldn't own a 29 cuz I now know what kind of hot rodding I can do with a SBH. and get away with it.
Now if S&W made a .44Mag on a frame designed FOR the .44Mag+ a margin,all bets are off!
Those RATS at Freedom arms make what we all lust after,they know it,and they get the proper price for it...I just ain't gonna give in!
Happy new year all of ya!!!!!
Cheers!
E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 3 screw Blackhawk in .45 that I put together with deer hunting in mind. I installed an old army stainless grip frame and stainless ejecter rod housing,eliminating aluminum parts.(for balance). super blackhawk wide spur hammer and grooved trigger. I'm shooting a Speer 200 gr. "flying ashtray" At about 1200 FPS. This gun will group 3 shots into 6" at 100 yds. with open sights. Haven't shot a deer with this handgun yet. Only shot one deer with a handgun so far,it was with a super black hawk .44. To me It's either single action-open sights or XP100 with scope...good shootin vbshootinrange.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My thought process is even slower than my typing.. Just wanted to add this.. for woods buming and western Oregon brush hunting, my Blackhawk .45 is my favorite (for handgun hunting)For more open handgun hunting areas (eastern Oregon) I've got an XP100 in .260 with leo 2.5X8, that I would just dearly love to shoot a deer with.... good shootin, vbshootinrange.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
E4E - I was lucky, I went to a Gun shop that caters to the occasional 'relatively wealthy clients' mostly antiques, etc.- not usually my kind of shop and it was laying on the back shelf (not on display). Store Owner, a business friend, said it belonged to an older gentleman who spent a considerable amount of money on it but shot it twice and said he wanted nothing more to do with it. Shop owner called gun owner asking what he wanted, added 20% and I got it for just about the price of a SRH. I don't know who did the work but I bought it about 1 1/2 yrs ago. LOVE IT!!!.

Red Baron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by E4E:
<strong>Suluuq,<p>Did you say "Stainless Bisley grip frame"...
Where? and I DON'T care how much!!!!!!!
If you have one,or know where one is and ain't tellin,I'll come up there and track you down..shouldn't be hard,I just gotta ask for the "Guy with the biggest collection of Jenny Hewitt videos in Alaska".
Fess up!!!!!!
I just need one,JUST ONE!!!!!!!!!
Cheers!
E4E</strong><hr></blockquote>
Pat... I'm talking about the stainless Bisley Vaquaro's, the grip frame can be ordered from Brownell's, $105.00. Cheaper of you FFL holders.
Also, yesterday I went to Dave Clement's site, and he can make a #5 for $600.00. Ouch!
BTW I don't have any JLH videos unfortunately, just a "big thing" for her. I'd like to "holster" my "gun" with this cowgirl. Even "quick-draw" would be nice! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did somone mention stainless Bisley Blackhawks in .45 Colt? You mean like the one sitting in my safe right now that cost about, oh, well under 400 bucks out the door? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>I lucked into one of those 5 1/2" stainless .45 Bisley's with adjustable sights made as a special run for Accu-Sports (sp?) in Ohio. The throats are a bit too tight, it won't shoot any cast bullet into less than about 2" consistently. But mix up some Hornady 250 grain XTP's and 23 grains of 296 and, well, I guess I will have to scan in pictures of the groups or you will think I'm lying. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 52 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.