Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bought a Sako Forester and a Ruger #1, both from the 60s.
Dunno if they were sold to a shop or traded in on something.

Plastic and mag fed is hot.

Keep a few bucks on hand in case somebody dumps a classic. Seems to be more common now.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

And what was wrong with my "zillion" remark, except the fact that zillion isn't real number?

But that does not change the fact that Savage made 3 million 99s, and at least a dozen manufacturers made far more walnut-stocked sporters based on the basic 98 Mauser action? Ever since non-corrosive primers appeared in the 1920's, centerfire rifle barrels generally don't wear out unless shot far more than the average hunter ever shoots--even most varmint hunters.

Plus, as more countries make it harder for their citizens to own firearms, more and more nice used guns from those countries show up in other countries. This is particularly true in the U.S., but I would assume its happening in Canada as well.

This means A bunch of used "classic" rifles AREavailable to most Campfire members--even drillings. The price of used drillings has dropped in the past decade, for the same reason the price of used side-by-side shotguns has dropped: They're being imported in bunches (though not zillions) from countries apparently afraid that drillings and SxS shotguns will be used to rob and murder average citizens--or even overthrow those countrys' governments. You and I know this is BS, but there it is.

In the past year I've purchased two used drillings for the same price as ONE would go for a decade ago. Same deal with a good British SXS 12-gauge shotgun. Again, the reason is far more good used guns available, which compete with new guns--especially since the Internet has made shopping for used guns far easier.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
John, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I merely responded to it.

I do not believe that you addressed oldpinecricker's concern.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by hookeye

Keep a few bucks on hand in case somebody dumps a classic. Seems to be more common now.

Yep, especially in January as credit cards come due and people realize they over did Christmas and need to raise some cash.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the looks of a classic rifle. My problem is I like the utility of a modern synthetic rifle. I always shook my head at the vertical gripped rifles and high scope mounting until I started using them. The vertical grips on a Manners or McMillan tactical stock make it much easier to shoot accurately when not shooting off of a bench. I found a higher scope mount does as well. Now there are extremes to both of these that don't make sense but you really got to shoot them to see the utility of them. But I am a sucker for a Tang Safety Ruger or a Wood stocked stainless rifle.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The synthetic stocked rifle is practical, but aesthetically dead.

It's got no Soul.

Last edited by Uncle_Alvah; 11/17/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, LSI has Howa Walnut Hunter rifles in SS and blued, even walnut-stocked Minis in the online catalog. I’ve seen the SS models on GB. All is not lost.

This year I’ve picked up two nice classics, a very fancy FN custom for $799, and a very light Heym .308 on a military-style 98 action for $695. They both will get out and hunt when it’s their turn, but there are a few synthetic-stocked ones at the head of the que.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cooper who built a good part of their business in turning out accurate semi-custom rifles with nice wooden stocks is now selling more synthetic stocked guns than wooden one. It's the way of the world at this time but it too will change and in a few years folks will be seeking out wood and blue again. Eventually there will be a lot of PRS and other long range rifles out there for very little money, everything changes. it's just a matter of time.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Personally I think the trend should be encouraged, and then maybe we few will get the pick of some really nice old rifles for some small consideration instead of having to hock our first born to some jew at a bank just to have a chance at something interesting.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Im your opinion are classic wood stock rifles a thing of the past. I ask this because im a left hand user wanting to have a few more Ruger Hawkeye lefty rifles and they are nowhere to be found.

Im all albout the new plastic stock rifles and newer materials and was an early adopter of them before they became really popular but i also desire my wood and classic Ruger 77 Hawkeye as well. Will these be just a memorybof the past in our near future? Also the prices of things are scary.

Old pine,

Of the left hand offerings from Ruger, top of the list is a Ruger African. It's a well designed, classic throwback if I've ever seen one. I have one right beside an original oberndorf sporter in the gun cabinet, it looks right at home:

https://www.ruger.com/search/lefthanded/rifle

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
Bought a Sako Forester and a Ruger #1, both from the 60s.
Dunno if they were sold to a shop or traded in on something.

Plastic and mag fed is hot.

I believe this to be the case also in the past 3 months I've picked up a m99, 03A3, 2 HVA sporters. 3/4 estate sale victims 1 of the 4 turned over for a syn stock. Gun buyers who aren't too experienced in firearms seem to buy new rather than a quality used outfit. Their loss is my gain, way I see it. I sure hate seeing them getting parted out. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wood and blueing is an aesthetic affectation.

Building the Lilly, gold leaf on an anvil.

Guns are tool used for a purpose.
Wood and rust blue were the best available, at one time.

Today they are an added expense that lessens the product.

Fact.
Jack!

Ever see a wood furnished AR?
Talk about funky. That pretty seems to bring out the ugly.

Now here's the thing,
I prefer to look at and handle wood guns.

But the modern young guy isn't interested in paying more for less utility.

Holy crap, look how far we have fallen.

30 years ago I wouldn't touch an ugly, cheap Sportsman 78 or ADL.
Today, I see them and they look good.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not as long as I'm alive. I own ONE tupperware rifle (in addition to a couple of ARs I bought just to piss off the likes of the Leroy Beans and other communists), a 340 Weatherby Weathermark. Othewise, you couldn't give me one.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Goosey
Yes, as far as new rifles go I think the classic deep blue and walnut are doomed, the new generation is generally not interested in "fudd" rifles. Not interested enough to pay box-new classic rifle prices at any rate. Manufacturers have already dropped most of the blue and walnut guns and in many cases it didn't that happen recently either. Leupold no longer makes glossy scopes. Etc. If it's something that starred in a video game or movie it will stick around a bit longer, for example guns that evoke the old west, meaning anything from Marlin Guide Guns to actual replicas.

Those "classic rifles" are old man guns. Guns young people think are cool look more like this, according to what I've seen posted on the internet:

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Leave it to our resident gagger to post pics of those abortions.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Goosey
Those "classic rifles" are old man guns.

They are. But there's a group of whippersnappers who pay a premium for other old-man stuff like vinyl records, Filson jackets, Martin guitars, Fjallraven backpacks, etc. I'm not sure that they'll inspire US riflemakers to resurrect anything, but as long as they're out there, we can dream.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have an affliction with wood and blued long guns myself, even worse I'm a left hand shooter. I have often considered trying to start a small rifle building business. In this fantasticall' business I would build Shmedium Mediums that weighed 8lbs scoped, had proper fitting stocks on well balanced, wood stocked hunting rifles. Chamberings would be almost boring and the rifle would have to balance and point like a fitted gun should. Lastly if ordered in a left hand configuration you would be forced to accept a $100.00 discount on all Left hand versions of said rifle.

End Rant

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-Current-Products.html

Hey Edm , what do you think it would take to get winchester to make a limited run of M70 Supergrades blued with those fancy French walnut stocks with 26" barrels for 300H&H Magnum? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Only by stupid people with no foresight.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Only by stupid people with no foresight.

Absolutely.

I love classic rifles, have several really nice ones.

I do have some SS with synthetic, like them, too...

But, there's nothing like a well done classic with beautiful wood. A work of art.

As a certain famous English poet once said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

And, so it is.

DF

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.