Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Duckduckgo is a search engine, not a browser.

Google is a search engine. Chrome is a browser.

Was just getting to say this

But I figured I’d leave the boomer be 😃

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made the same mistake few times, but my wife never misses an opportunity to point out when I am wrong.
THAT is learning the hard way.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJL53
I have been using: https://startpage.com and prefer it to DDG

Did they ever start including any other search engines than goober? I used it for years, but quit when I got tired of Google censorship coming through their proxy results.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many browsers are based on Chromium, including Chrome, Brave, and lots of others. Think of Chromium as the "drivetrain" that powers the vehicle, no matter the body style. (A Toyota 3.5 liter/automatic in a Camry, Highlander, or Tacoma as analogies.)

The Chromium engine makes the browser run; the differences are in the body style that affects how the browser looks, any extra features it may come with, and how large the program is. Chrome, for example adds in a lot of data tracking and reporting (as we all know) that is not there in the Chromium engine.

Firefox, btw, does not use the Chromium engine. It uses an open source engine, which means its code has no hidden surprises. That's why I use Firefox. I also have Chromium itself installed for those rare websites that don't work well with Firefox.

Different people like different things, and I do not wish to talk you out of something you like. I'm just passing along what little I've learned.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Many browsers are based on Chromium, including Chrome, Brave, and lots of others. Think of Chromium as the "drivetrain" that powers the vehicle, no matter the body style. (A Toyota 3.5 liter/automatic in a Camry, Highlander, or Tacoma as analogies.)

The Chromium engine makes the browser run; the differences are in the body style that affects how the browser looks, any extra features it may come with, and how large the program is. Chrome, for example adds in a lot of data tracking and reporting (as we all know) that is not there in the Chromium engine.

Firefox, btw, does not use the Chromium engine. It uses an open source engine, which means its code has no hidden surprises. That's why I use Firefox. I also have Chromium itself installed for those rare websites that don't work well with Firefox.

Different people like different things, and I do not wish to talk you out of something you like. I'm just passing along what little I've learned.

Does Google use chromium or the other way around?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Qwant is another privacy search engine that works well.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, that's confusing a search engine with a browser. Google is a search engine (with VERY secret code) and programs like Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Opera, etc are browsers. A browsers connects you to the internet and a search engine helps you find things once you're there.

Whatever browser you install will use one of many search engines. The default in most cases is Google, but you can change that at will just by clicking on the little magnifying glass in your search box. You should see a drop-down box that lists alternate search engines such as Duck Duck Go, Yahoo, Startpage, etc. You may also be able to change your default search engine through your Setting panel.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What's your opinion of Brave? I use it and DuckDuck as my set up.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is a google software engineer working from home. I am a grandparent listening while he zooms with other engineers.

They use the word "entropy" when talking about how much information they have on what a user will click on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_entropy

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tried Tor,
But it took all of the fun outta the meme time thread.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tried Tor,

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Tried Tor,

Tor is slow, for sure, but it is THE safest way to access the Internet. Much safer than a VPN.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldHat
Tried Tor,

Tor is slow, for sure, but it is THE safest way to access the Internet. Much safer than a VPN.

No images either...

HC, look up chromium on wiki. I think it was written by Google engineers and may be in chrome browser, but I don't really recall.

-OMotS

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
DDG doesn't keep records on every search like the Google empire does.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Just to be clear, DDG is a search engine, not a browser. Unlike Google, DDG does not record or track what search terms you enter. That means you won't get unwanted ads or future "suggestions" based on what you type into the DDG search box. That may or may not be true for any resulting links that you actually click on, but that is beyond what DDG can control. It is not saved by DDG, but the website you visit may do so.

DDG therefore is better at protecting your privacy than Google (or many others) up until the moment you leave DDG to open a different link.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Works well on IphoneX.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

THIS!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raspy

THIS!

🤦🏼‍♂️

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both DDG and AVG secure browsers and use DDG as my search engine.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat
Tried Tor,

No images either...

HC, look up chromium on wiki. I think it was written by Google engineers and may be in chrome browser, but I don't really recall.

Tor supports images and video.

Tor is a bundle. Browser and a network infrastructure. The browser is a custom Firefox. With Tor you can use any search engine and none of them can track you.

The real power of Tor is the underlying Onion Network. TOR stands for The Onion Network. Kind of complicated, but it is by far the most private way to browser the internet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,110
Posts18,502,282
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.